tips for Bonaire newbies traveling with Bonaire veterans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... So we'll be using the on-site branch of Dive Friends Bonaire. I don't think any of us has dived the house reef, "The Cliff," before. (And yes, I have a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy.)

I think you will very much like DFB and "the Cliff". One tip for all of you at the cliff. Use the pipe - both as a guide and a handhold both entering and exiting. It looks a lot more challenging than it is - and it's totally worth it.

I think you will very much like DFB and "the Cliff". One tip for all of you at the cliff. Use the pipe - both as a guide and a handhold both entering and exiting. It looks a lot more challenging than it is - and it's totally worth it.
YES, you are so right,,,, i have been on Cliff, very calm underwater, no current, no big deal,
BUT there was a time when the current was nothing as usual and then a shift and it was really bad on the way back- it shifted almost like a rip current, which was really weird - I am talking serious current came out of no where. my partner decided to go to shore, i wanted to drift, but when buddy goes you go, no regrets.

It is really difficult to know from our perspective exactly what info you experienced Bonaire visitors have passed on, so pardon us if we repeat something. All I have seen have been good useful tips so far, even if you already knew them, and who knows who else may come across this thread while they are researching their own upcoming first Bonaire trip.

YES! That would be me...I am gobbling up all the info on this thread for our upcoming trip. THANKS for all the great info!

Thanks. That is why so many of us do not mind answering a question here, even if it has been asked somewhere else or even in this forum before. Every day new divers find their way into ScubaBoard, who may find some of our suggestions and cautions useful.

When I first stumbled in here, asking questions quite a while back now, I was welcomed with helpful answers from many folks like DeputyDan, Herman, DandyDon, and ScubaSteve among others, and I hope to be as welcoming and helpful as the examples they set.

This has not been mentioned yet so I thought I would throw it out there. When you go to Bonaire for a dive trip, set the clothes out that you plan on taking. Set the money out that you plan to take. Then leave half of the clothes back at home and go to the bank and take double the money and you should have a great trip. Half the clothes and DOUBLE the money!!!!

I totally agree about minimizing the clothes, although I spend almost nothing on Bonaire, if I don't splurge on dinning out. The places I stay always have a kitchen area of some sort, and my needs are minimal, unless I am entertaining.

A store/beer run or two during the week usually satisfies my needs.

My (the OP) group and I are back from a week in Bonaire. Our "Bonaire newbies" had no issues with wishing they had brought something or known something in advance. They are experienced travelers and seemed to have all the basics with them for tropical dive travel plus contributions to our food/supply stash (one brought frozen venison sausage!). The best tip was probably, as I had surmised, to bring sturdy-soled boots, since that's not something that necessarily occurs to people who have not had the experience of trudging out over ironshore and rubble. Our newbies adapted quickly and are now old hands at Bonaire diving :wink:

My best Bonaire tip - I brought a "Sun Shower" (made for camping). Filled it in the hotel room, put it on top of the truck at dive site, post dive used it to rinse my camera and myself with nice warm water. I used it on every dive and the thieves didn't touch it. :shower:

Back
Top Bottom