Tips $$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused about the tipping concept on dive boats.

I understand the concept of tipping in restaurants. At least in part, it's to assure that you get attentive service, which can be important in a restaurant setting since it can get chaotic at times. And I understand that the price of the meal is reduced because the restaurant owner pays the waitstaff less because of tipping.

No, unless you are a regular, the service person has not idea how you are going to tip them until then end. The have no assurance they will be tipped decently. In the US, the owners exploits the servers by paying them crazy low wages and only servers who perform well earn enough tips to make a living. The with poor service skills find another job rather quickly. When I am in the US, most of the time I get good service, so it works.

When I travel to non-tipping countries, the servers get paid more and do not expect tips. Sometimes the services is very good. Other times, it can really suck. Nothing I can do about it except not return to the establishment.

I tip taxi drivers too. Mostly because it's convention.

I tip on the condition of the cab (smoke free and clean), sometimes on the hour of the day (It they pick me up in the wee hours in the morning, they get a good top) and of course if they are on time.

Is it really the same with dive boats? With a boat, the only assistance I get is coming up the ladder. I have paid for the trip. If there is dive gear that I use, I paid for that as part of the fee. If the crew serves snacks and drinks, that was advertised as part of the amenties offered by the boat.

I get it that the crew doesn't make much money, but that's true of many, many jobs. A number of my dives have been on boats which were part of a package deal, and there was no tip jar in sight or mentioned. So please enlighten me as to why tipping is appropriate on a dive boat.

Again, in some countries, tipping is not expected, others it is. You have to be aware or the local customers and flow with it to a certain extent.

In the countries where it is expected, the same type of owners exploit the workers with low wages. Then they work hard to please the customers earn decent tips which brings up there paycheck to probably 1/4 of the average diver. The slackers soon find they cannot make it without tips and go work at McDonalds.

First, the amount of tip should be relevant to the types of services offered on the boat. In some locations the setup gear (not mine), help newbie divers with weight checks, lead group dives, etc..) In in So Cal where I do most of my boat dives and the DM's are out of the water, they are functioning as a 2nd or 3rd set of eyes as you setup. They are quick of offer help, do minor gear adjustments, sometimes have backup gear stashed to save a dive. If you are dialed in, they don't do anything for you, but even though of us who think we are dialed in have a bad day and need help.

Many are trained in life saving procedures, cook you lunch and spend time and effort to maximize your enjoyment. The tend to offer lots of advice. Oh, and when someone plugs up the marine head, the clean out the ****, now that job deserves a tip.

At the end of the day, the attitude of the crew will have an impact on my pleasure with the dives and I have not problem saying thankyou personally to them and also make a contribution to the jar.

If you had a competent dive crew all you should notice is the assistance up the ladder. Virtually all the money you paid to the shop was for the shop. Buying, maintaining, and fueling a dive boat is very expensive not to mention the rent and staff at the shop. Like in a restaurant, the crew is paid a minimal wage.

Most people use the tanks that are on the boat. Those things are heavy and need to have a decent fill. Dive gear that is used needs to be washed, maintained and stored. During the trip, normally while no one is watching, equipment checks need to be done and a dive briefing is given which if done properly assures that all you will see is assistance up a ladder instead of a rescue. Professional insurance, training, and association dues are not compensated to the crew by the shop nor are equipment purchases or maintenance. None of which are required of a waiter or taxi driver.

The only thing missing from a shore dive is the boat. Tipping your instructor is the same as tipping your crew. Remember that for all of these people helping you, their main focus is to assure that you come back alive. That should be worth something.

Written on the tip jar on SeaXP II in Fort Lauderdale..."Wind and waves can tip the boat only you can tip the crew"

Thanks for the responses.

Remember that for all of these people helping you, their main focus is to assure that you come back alive. That should be worth something.

Yes, it certainly is. But the question remains, isn't that what I paid for when I bought passage on a dive boat? When I fly on an airline, the crew helps me come back alive, and the baggage handlers load and unload my luggage, but I don't tip them. When I go to the hospital, the nurses and orderlies help me stay alive, but I don't tip them. I could go and on, of course, but the point is made. There are many jobs where the services rendered are important, where the work is hard, and the workers are not well paid. What I am trying to figure out is why dive boat crews should be tipped when others aren't.

I am not saying the crews are adequately paid, but the adequacy of pay is usually a matter between the employer and employee. It normally doesn't fall on the customer's shoulders to rectify inadequate pay.

I am also not saying that boat crews should not be tipped. I am simply trying to figure out the rationale for it. Is tipping boat crews is a universally accepted custom (like tipping waitstaff and taxicab drivers). If so, maybe the answer is that that's how it's done.

As an aside, if there is a custom of tipping in this situation and people don't know of the custom, they may not bring money on board to pay for tips. So maybe dive boat operators should be more clear when they sign up customers and let them know that "gratuities for the crew are not included."

.... Is tipping boat crews is a universally accepted custom (like tipping waitstaff and taxicab drivers). If so, maybe the answer is that that's how it's done.

The problem is (tipping for boat crew as well as wait staff for good service) is universal within the the US, but the diving community on SB is truly global and includes many other countries were tipping is not the norm. You must consider the location. Type of service and expected tips can vary within the US reagion to region also. Tipping can be exploited too, just as any monetary transaction (I love the audacity of the tip jars on a fast-food service counter).

As an aside, if there is a custom of tipping in this situation and people don't know of the custom, they may not bring money on board to pay for tips. So maybe dive boat operators should be more clear when they sign up customers and let them know that "gratuities for the crew are not included."

Yes, it can be a bad moment when you are unprepared. Definitely know the tipping practices when traveling internationally. Many boat ops publish something about tips on their web pages but they also don't want to be seen as too demanding either and won't publish a recommended amount. On the other hand, I have been at restaurants where they automatically add 20% onto the tab for parties of 6 or more. Now that is annoying....

To tie this in to another recent thread-- discussing DMs setting up customers' equipment. As newbie on a boat I liked this service a lot, and of course left a tip. Later, not so much. I felt better setting up all my own stuff. Once recently a DM, while switching out tanks, tightened my "Bio Tank Lock" tighter than recommended by the manufacturer, which could've damaged the mechanism. Other than that, he did a good job, was a nice guy and got a good tip. That's kind of like when a worker grabs your suitcases before you get a chance to do so, yet you feel obliged to tip. I want a DM to touch all safety bases--boat equipment, etc.--, to clearly explain procedures of entry/exit, etc.--the usual stuff. And not hassle me about collecting shells. That equals a very nice tip.

there's an easy way to get your DMs to stop hassling you about collecting shells. stop doing it. we don't come to your house/place of work and start grabbing stuff we think is pretty, do we?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744437,-64.705753

there's an easy way to get your DMs to stop hassling you about collecting shells. stop doing it. we don't come to your house/place of work and start grabbing stuff we think is pretty, do we?

---
I am here: Google Maps
You know, I was going to report this post but decided I'd just respond. Maybe the mods will remove both our posts as a result.

We each have our own interests. Shell collecting, hunting, photography, "treasure" finding, meg diving, or just looking at the pretty fishes. TMHeimer gave what his justifications are for a good tip. You don't have to bash him for it. If I were to check with an operation prior to booking whether they support/don't support my particular interests (as I believe TMHeimer has mentioned he does) you can bet that would factor into my tip if the boat crew didn't comply with the shop policies.

To keep on-topic I'll add my justifications. I am a newb but I don't want DM help on the boat other than a good brief and maybe introducing me to a potential dive buddy since I typically don't have my own. I like handling my own gear because it makes me more competent and more confident. I won't turn down a DM lugging heavy tanks, but I'll attach my regs etc etc. I don't (haven't so far, anyway) withhold tips if they touch my stuff because honestly, that's what a lot of people think DMs are there for and that's what they're used to, in the places I've dived. A simple "I can handle that" or "I'd like to do that myself" has worked so far for me and DMs often appreciate not being expected to be a slave to the customer, from what I've seen.

So far I've tipped about $10/tank and felt like that was plenty. I've also offered to buy beers after docking a couple times but surprisingly, no-one has taken me up on my offer yet. On a live-aboard I'd tip differently and more specifically (to individuals) I suspect.

As my final note on this if Ricky B is actually looking for verification/credibility on the topic of tipping his boat crew I believe the article on page 72 in the current issue of Scuba Diving Magazine will leave no doubt in the matter. Shell collecting? Well, as innocuous as it may sound, it does lead to bigger problems and for those of us that have watched reefs, both natural and artificial, decimated by carelessness I think all of us should be overly sensitive on this issue. No touchy no takey. Or take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

TIP your boat crew, your DM's, and your Dive Instructors. They bust their butt and make your dive life easier than you can imagine with their long long hours and behind the scenes efforts you'll never see.

tips don't always have to be monetary either. After a long week of diving in a remote island area, and seeing the worn out scuzzy barely functional masks that some of my guides have worn. I give them my mask or other gear/equipment at the end of the trip. You should see their face light up! On a remote Fiji or Philippine island, getting quality dive gear is hard enough if not next to impossible. Being handed a $85 mask for free is most likely almost a months wages for them.

On every trip we go on, before leaving I always go to the bank and get minimum $200 USD in one dollar bills, and $100 in Fives. That way you always have several tucked into your pocket, and able to give to street kids or people who pose for photos.

Getting a case of 5-pack Juicy Fruit Gum and handing out to kids is a great way to make friends. I Belize parents only made $5-10 a day, you think they can afford to buy their kids a simple treat like candy?

I will 100% of the time leave my used flashlight batteries with a divemaster, why the heck should I pack home extra weight of 1/2 spent batteries, when these are like gold to them. Even T-shirts, shorts or Hats, often they love the fact that they now get a shirt that may have a far off lands' sports team on them, or just happy to get some new free clothes.

go to a dollar store before you go, and buy up some balloons, coloring books, or even reading glasses, and donate them to the local church or orphanege. Neosporin Ointment or bandaids too, basic medical supplies are like Gold in many remote areas.

Good Karma pays forward, in so many ways and doesn't have to be $$$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom