TiZIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My choice is definitely the TiZip. So easy to maintain, and lighter. Also, can be folded safely.

40-50 dives. Never leaked. Similarly, I won't consider metal zips.

I had the zipper on my drysuit replaced with a TiZip by DRIS (Dive Right in Scuba) last year. So far it's been great. I highly recommend them. I have about a 100-125 dives on the zipper so far and it still looks very good.

I had one leak but it was my fault; I didnt close zipper all the way. With the TiZip it's very important to get it over the lip at the end. Use the silicone lubricant at the end of zipper will help it slide easier; I do this every 10 dives or so.

Are there any alternatives to the silicone lubricant? I've heard that silicone use can cause repair/replacement of zippers to be quite difficult.

I worry about that as well, so I am VERY careful not to get any of the lubricant on the placket or the suit fabric. However, I am hoping the suit wears out before the zipper does -- I talked to one of the guys from the company that makes the Tizips, and he said he has a suit with several THOUSAND dives on it and the original TiZip zipper.

Thanks TS&M! Any idea if alternate lubes would work? Like zipper wax from the metal zips or o-ring grease or something?

That's good to hear about the zip's robustness!

I've seen somewhere on here a recommendation for mcnett zip tech as an alternative lubricant for tizips. I guess one would apply it as usual, just to the docking end of the zipper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TiZip for the win. Why all suits don't have them is beyond me. They're cheaper then standard drysuit zippers, extremely reliable and most importantly don't require the same amount of force to tighten. I have a Seasoft drysuit with the TiZip on the back and I can don/doff no problem by myself. That to me is worth its weight in gold!

I ordered my DUI with a TiZIP now that they do the factory install. 10 dives in so far and it is all good.

IMG_0832.jpg

Hi, this is Bruce from SEASOFT SCUBA. I think we were the first company to use Ti ZIP in North America in a suit and I am going to share all I know about Ti Zip zippers. We started testing the SUPERSEAL in 2004-2005 and offered them as an option in 2005. At first we got a few suits where the zipper split (it opened up after it was closed), very frustrating! I was told by Ti Zip that they were correcting this and later on this virtually disappeared.

The cool part about the SUPERSEAL is that you can open and close it yourself because the teeth are small and there is a rubber dam on both sides of the teeth and it doesn't catch the undergarment very easily. This is still the zipper we sell in our drysuits and our customers love it.

In 2010 we had an issue with a batch of suits, the glue was not sticking to the backing that the SUPERSEAL was attached to. Remember this was new to all of us - so what glues to use? how to install it? etc. it was pretty new. But we figured this out, fixed all the suits, figured out the right protocol and moved on.

In 2008 or 2009 we started offering a line of semi-dry wetsuits with a Ti Zip that was similar to the SUPERSEAL called the WATERSEAL. It was open at one end so you could open up the wetsuit.

A couple or so years ago we were offered the MASTERSEAL which is what a lot of companies are now using. It has big plastic teeth and is less expensive than a brass zipper BUT a tooth knocked out is still a tooth knocked out. We stayed with the SUPERSEAL even though it is more expensive.

Here is how you take care of a Ti Zip and don't let anyone else tell you different. We get suits back for repairs and zippers to be replaced because people listen to those who don't know or who are guessing based on the care of a brass zipper.

1. Lubricate with high quality silicone grease. Not a silicone grease laden with fillers.
2. Your zipper must be allowed to dry in hot, humid climates. In rare cases a bacteria will destroy the rubber if it is left wet for day after day after day in a hot humid place.
3. It is OK to leave it open or closed for storage but we recommend open to allow air to circulate into the suit.
4. Lubricate every other dive unless it has not been used for more than two weeks. Then lubricate again.
5. Lubricate by dipping your clean fingers in silicone grease and sliding grease across the teeth. No need for excess grease but not a cosmetic coating either. NOW open and close the zipper at least 6 times to distribute the grease.
6. Pay extra attention to the ends!
7. With the zipper closed run your grease finger along the edge of the zipper coating any rubber parts until they have a generous but not excessive coating. Allow this grease to be absorbed.
8. With the zipper closed reach through the neck and do the same to the inside of the zipper.
9. After diving always rinse the zipper and inspect the zipper for damage, debris etc.
10. It is crucial to keep the zipper out of direct sunlight and any heat source as these can both damage the zipper (and your suit).

After doing more than 5,000 drysuit dives I can confidently say that I prefer the Ti Zip over any brass zipper for a host of reasons - lighter, tougher, less expensive to replace, self-closing, and more.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Bruce
SEASOFT SCUBA

Back
Top Bottom