to din or not to din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ha ha ha ha ... the lil pic thing was funny , um sure ill take one when i go to the school tommorrow

i want to change it myself so that if i ever have to use yolk again i can just change it back myself as opposed to using the converter with seems bulky ,

The 1" is very specific for this reg and hard to find in a hardware/tool store. For what the socket costs online (21 dollars + shipping to South Africa) I think you would be better off letting you LDS doing the service for you.

Yoke is junk. Stop buying that crap and dive operators will replace the valves on their rentals much quicker. Only place in the world I've seen yoke valves is in the Caribbean btw.

You haven't dive in many places then have you?? :rofl3:

The dive industry primarily use yoke valves, because they are less easily destroyed by idiot customers. This is especially true of rental regs, which most divers use (being that most 'qualified divers' don't actually own their own gear and only dive on holiday).

um with the turrent gets restricted , i like putting it pointing down , however with the yolk , it doesn't really let me very easily , the vslves on the cylinders are j valves or not sure what they called , it just sits funny ,

I point the turret down with the yoke and have no problem with hose routing or the turret movement. The use of a DIN or yoke fitting should have no effect at all on the turret movement. I think something else is wrong.

Another side to this story..... I just recently converted my SP MK25/ S600 recreational regulator from a DIN (with a SP yoke adapter) regulator to a yoke. Why? Well,... I've had multiple O-ring failures between the Din connection & the adapter. I had the adapter screwed on as tight as I could get it & still had o-ring failures. The bad part about converting from DIN to yoke, is that SP doesn't have a kit to do it with. I had to order the individual parts to put on it. I kept the DIN parts, just in case I ever change my mind to switch it back. I still keep my technical regulators in the DIN configuration.

id like to actually see some info on failure rates of o rings with din and yolk .... see which is actually better in that regard

Another side to this story..... I just recently converted my SP MK25/ S600 recreational regulator from a DIN (with a SP yoke adapter) regulator to a yoke. Why? Well,... I've had multiple O-ring failures between the Din connection & the adapter. I had the adapter screwed on as tight as I could get it & still had o-ring failures. The bad part about converting from DIN to yoke, is that SP doesn't have a kit to do it with. I had to order the individual parts to put on it. I kept the DIN parts, just in case I ever change my mind to switch it back. I still keep my technical regulators in the DIN configuration.
That sounds very surprising since the benefit of the DIN regulator is that it is a captured o-ring. Did you try with a different adapter or have the DIN fitting checked for problems?

That sounds very surprising since the benefit of the DIN regulator is that it is a captured o-ring. Did you try with a different adapter or have the DIN fitting checked for problems?

That was the reason I went with the DIN to begin with. I never had a failure in the water, but rather when I would pressurize the regulator when turning the tank on (yes, slowly). It seems the pressurization would unseat the captured O-ring, causing a leak. I have tried other adapters & Have also had the same thing happen on my Technical DIN regulators when screwed into the tanks. I'm not sure if the seating area for the o-ring is too shallow or what, but it has been a problem form time to time.

Doing the change out yourself is no big deal. While many people remove the yoke nut with an adjustable wrench or even a vise successfully you risk damaging the brass nut if the wrench slips. BITD many of the yoke nuts were just nuts and would cost you $5 to replace but more often now they are an assembly and run $30+. So if you plan to go back and forth between yoke and DIN it is worth while having a thinned walled 1" or 26mm" thin walled socket that you can use. scubatools.com sells them.

Often when traveling to an area that is going to be strictly yoke we just put the yoke on and skip the DIN-to-Yoke adaptors. Mostly because I have seen DM screwing around enough that they end up loosening the adaptor all the way to taking the adaptor off.

Last edited:
DIN is better but make sure you have the yoke adapter for tanks you have no control over.

Back
Top Bottom