To old to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saul set the new World Record for Guiness Book of Records for Oldest Unassisted Scuba Dive this year at 86... he broke the record he set two years before. He did it as a Charity Fund Raiser and the conditions were nasty that day! He said it was a pretty awful dive and he only dived that day because of all the organizational stuff. We were at the site that day and decided it wasn't worth cleaning the gear to dive it!

We see him diving regularly and his only concession is that he takes his tank and weights across the bridge and rock platform in a golf bag trolley!

I celebrated my 60th by taking on my first challenging surf entry and hope to give Saul some competition one day!

Attachments

• 5 Bare Island (Large).JPG
    5 Bare Island (Large).JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 72
I get that same old "you're too old to dive" from my wife every time. My last 5 cave dives in Ginnie in April had me under water for 24 hours. I'm headed back in 12 days for more of the same. I turn 64 in October.

Stop when you know it's time to, IMO.

50 is way too old to dive. Sell me your gear cheap, and use the money to buy a rocking chair! :wink:

We wont say how old I am, but it's been a while since I passed that milestone. Your 50th is just another day on the calendar. Remember: every day above ground is a good day, and every moment underwater is a bonus.

How you chose to spend the remaining days of you life is up to you, but if you love diving, but then quitting simply because of a day on the calendar, you are only shorting yourself of one of the pleasures that make that life worth living! IMO :D

Still get the thrill of pushing my Harley hard into the turns and diving as much as I can with my friends. Both give me as much enjoyment now, as when I was 20, and I intend to do both till the moment they nail the lid on, or toss the match on the pyre!

Live to Dive. Dive to Live. Hey! Grim Reaper!:mooner:

I got certified at age 49. I'm currently 58 and have logged nearly 2,600 dives. In the intervening years I've learned to dive deep wrecks (down to 250 feet, including penetration), dive in caves, do open water dives in challenging conditoins, and teach scuba.

I find that as I get older I have to work harder to maintain a reasonable level of fitness ... I work out regularly at a gym. But your limits will have more to do with your determination and mental capabilities than your age.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My Father-In-Law, who's my dive buddy, recently turned 72 and still diving. Go for it as long as you feel you can dive safely! :D

Stay fit and keep diving. 5 of my regular or semi-regular dive buddies are over 50. That's about 1/4 of the people I dive with. I really enjoy diving with them and will continue to do so for selfish reasons. They avoid drama, no bravado, are patient, and understand risk management. We need more of you, so keep diving.

Back
Top Bottom