To OWN or RENT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main reason to own tanks is convenience.

The main reason not to own them, especially if you don't dive much, is costs.

With that said, I own about 7 tanks. Some air, some Nitrox. The convenience of owing them to me outweighs the costs. I don't have to "hurry" down to the LDS to rent tanks and on big weekends worry that some of the LDS's run out of rental tanks. Tank maintenance of Visuals and Hydro easily come about even with offsetting the money saved on an air fill verses a tank rental.

With that said, you can never have enough tanks :)

In addition to the question of "do you dive local or travel?", the other question is "what is available where you dive?" It would be more of a hassle for me to own tanks, get them filled, load them in the car and take them to the dive point than it would be to rent them less than 100 yds from the shore/boat. And when a filled tank of air costs $2-3, that's a lot of dives to come up to the cost of buying.

Put a location in your profile so you can get better info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom