Tobermory Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikey0929

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know the answers have probably already been posted but I CAN'T find them anywhere... I've searched and searched... anyways, I had a Tobermory trip scheduled with the LDS that I took my lessons through for the 2nd weekend of August... well the charter they booked with double booked and now the trip has been cancelled. I have already however booked a campsite at Cyprus Lake and would like to still do some shore diving... I have no dives past my OW checkout dives (neither does my buddy) so I'm looking for easy shore dives to start hoping to do 4-6 dives maybe... I'm looking for input as to the dives to maybe do... something that's not too complicated (ie: heavy, heavy boat traffic) and I'm assuming anything in that area shore diving requires a flag and float? Any help would be GREAT! Thanks a lot in advance!

Mike

Do the Tugs, the lighthouse and the Anchor (if you can find it :wink: ). All are shallow easy dives. The Tugs have the most convenient entry and parking. Make sure you get your permit to dive the park. Have to run now, if you google "Tobermory Ontario dive" you should find some good information.

BTW, which dive op overbooked and cancelled you?
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Do the Tugs, the lighthouse and the Anchor (if you can find it :wink: ). All are shallow easy dives. The Tugs have the most convenient entry and parking. Make sure you get your permit to dive the park. Have to run now, if you google "Tobermory Ontario dive" you should find some good information.

BTW, which dive op overbooked and cancelled you?

From the lighthouse, out front facing the big "wa wa" is a fairly nice wall
To the right is a channel if you follow it to the right and go ~150 yards staying approx 20 out on the sand you'll actually come across the oldest wreck in the park. Be gentle with it! It's a voyageurs canoe from the late 1600's or so I've been told....

I'm not sure which op overbooked yet but I will find out... the LDS won't be using them anymore but I want to know so I never use them either... I was extremely excited about the trip grrrrr lol anyways we will still make the best of it... even if it's only shore diving :) Thanks for the tips so far...

Mike

call and see if you can't book yourself

Both Divers Den and G&S Sports have a board showing charter trips going out to the various dive sites each morning and afternoon that you can sign up for as a walk-up. Best do it ASAP when you get there. Remember to bring your C-card.

After you have done shore dives at the Tugs, Lighthouse and anchor, you might want to go in at Dunks Bay, just south of Tobermory. Drive east to the end of Dunks Bay Road and you will see a rocky beach. The Niagara II wreck is located far out in this bay - you will need to go by charter boat to dive this wreck.

Thank you for the advice again but correct me if I'm wrong from what I know of the Niagara II is it not an advanced dive being that it reaches up around 90'?

Mikey0929:
Thank you for the advice again but correct me if I'm wrong from what I know of the Niagara II is it not an advanced dive being that it reaches up around 90'?

The bottom is at about 100 feet but you can have a great dive on her and never go under 60 feet. A new diver with good skills and buoyancy control will do just fine on her. Get a couple of the shore dives under your belt to get yourself sorted in the new environment then book a charter. There are several shallow wrecks that the boats charter to as well, the Sweepstakes trip is great and I also really enjoyed the Wetmore, she's mostly broken up but the anchor and anchor chain are HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom