Tobermory Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jurrasicdiver:
Get your money back and go to Brockville were the water is warm and the wrecks are actually wrecks not brocken down boards.

The Sweepstakes is in good shape especially considering she's in 20 feet of water. One of the tugs has some nice parts intact, especially part of the deck and rail. The Niagara II is intact even if she's an artificial reef. There are fascinating stories in the ones that are broken into boards as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

Jurrasicdiver:
Get your money back and go to Brockville were the water is warm and the wrecks are actually wrecks not brocken down boards.

LOL, dude I swear I wrote that for you.......lol

I concur 1000%.

Ber Rabbit:
The bottom is at about 100 feet but you can have a great dive on her and never go under 60 feet. A new diver with good skills and buoyancy control will do just fine on her. Get a couple of the shore dives under your belt to get yourself sorted in the new environment then book a charter. There are several shallow wrecks that the boats charter to as well, the Sweepstakes trip is great and I also really enjoyed the Wetmore, she's mostly broken up but the anchor and anchor chain are HUGE!

Well Ber, since this diver and their buddy have ZERO dives past their OW I personally would suggest they stay away from anything but shore dives to max 40ft or so.

It's probably comforting to know you can crawl your way shallower if you had to, and on top of that they have a hard bottom that isn't AOW territory :)

Call me cautious. :wink:

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
Well Ber, since this diver and their buddy have ZERO dives past their OW I personally would suggest they stay away from anything but shore dives to max 40ft or so.

It's probably comforting to know you can crawl your way shallower if you had to, and on top of that they have a hard bottom that isn't AOW territory :)

Call me cautious. :wink:

Steve

That's why I prefixed it with good skills and buoyancy control and recommended that he do the shore dives first :D Even I do shore dives and go progressively deeper when I go up there, the Niagara was our second day last year. I'm not familiar with his training so I won't say dive it "cold." Would I put my own OW students on it right after certification? Yes but my class is a lot longer than most. :D

Ber Rabbit:
The Sweepstakes is in good shape especially considering she's in 20 feet of water.

Actually, a lot of work was done by Parks Canada on The Sweepstakes to make her a better site and more "diver friendly" (my BIL was one of the divers ho worked on her.).

SubMariner:
Actually, a lot of work was done by Parks Canada on The Sweepstakes to make her a better site and more "diver friendly" (my BIL was one of the divers ho worked on her.).

They did a really good job. My hubby had dove her before the work was done so he was able to see the difference.

Have you seen the plaque/stone marker (whatever it is) on the Arabia? Dan Orr and the Wright State University divers put that down there (that's where I teach scuba). Hubby didn't dive that weekend with them but knows the people who put it down. He really wants to get a picture to send to Dan so he can see what it looks like after all these years.

Ber Rabbit:
They did a really good job. My hubby had dove her before the work was done so he was able to see the difference.

Have you seen the plaque/stone marker (whatever it is) on the Arabia? Dan Orr and the Wright State University divers put that down there (that's where I teach scuba). Hubby didn't dive that weekend with them but knows the people who put it down. He really wants to get a picture to send to Dan so he can see what it looks like after all these years.

Has this been done recently? What's on the marker?

I'm defininitely looking forward to my next trip there!!!

abitton:
Has this been done recently? What's on the marker?

I'm defininitely looking forward to my next trip there!!!

No, it's been down there for years (maybe 20?).

Here's a picture of it on a website. It's not very good though. If you look in the top left corner of the plaque there is a picture of a diver giving the "ok", that's from a picture Dan Orr took of my husband years ago. It's the same image that was on the DAN tags until "Diver DAN" replaced it.

You're welcome to come along with us :D

Back
Top Bottom