Tobermory Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
I've taken a open water classes out on the Mamie before, and it's a nice boat. Doesn't have the lift like the Simon, but there's lots of space inside and it doesn't rock too much in rougher water.

I really love the lift, though... Diving luxury...

Mikey0929:
So am I correct in assuming that the Sweepstakes and City of Grand Rapids can be done as shore dives? Where would one enter for those 2 wrecks if they are?
Both wrecks are at the end of Big Tub and, yes, the land arond them is privately owned. When I worked at Big Tub, a lot of people would swim down towing a flag. You need to stick close to shore, but it's not really that far. (Mind you, I was 25 years younger then.) The years I worked at the Lodge were the years I did the least amount of diving, simply because I worked seven days week, for long hours. I would often swim down there at midnight by myself and have a little peace and quiet!

Incidently, for those of you that like dump-diving, there is a dump site from the 30s and 40s just east of the Grand Rapids. Because it is in the Park, you can't take anything of course, but there is some cool old junk piled there.

The Park office has a brochure that outlines access hours on these wrecks by the way. You need to share the space with the tour boats, so there is a schedule for each user-group. .

Incidently, a couple of you commented on the Joseph Simon. That boat was built by Roy Blais, the former owner (and my former boss) of Big Tub. "Joseph Simon" was Roy's father who died while the boat was being built. Those of you that knew Roy, (now deceased also) will know that he had an eye for a bargain. He "designed" that boat by measuring the Blue Heron in town when it was out of the water in the winter. He thought up the lift idea. The only problem is that in order to save money, he used lighter steel than the Blue Heron used, and as a result, the boat floats quite a bit higher in the water, which is why it is rather "tippy". I have heard that a few years ago, whoever owned the boat at that time, dumped a few tons of concrete into the bilge to settle her somewhat, but I don't know that for a fact! The last time I was on her, we got caught in a bit of a beam sea and it was a rocky ride!

Ber Rabbit:
They did a really good job. My hubby had dove her before the work was done so he was able to see the difference.

Have you seen the plaque/stone marker (whatever it is) on the Arabia? Dan Orr and the Wright State University divers put that down there (that's where I teach scuba). Hubby didn't dive that weekend with them but knows the people who put it down. He really wants to get a picture to send to Dan so he can see what it looks like after all these years.
Ber :lilbunny:

Here's a shot of it from 2 days ago when I was there. I actually dove the Arabia again this morning as well. :)

dawnlight-aug2006-06.jpg

Warren_L:
Here's a shot of it from 2 days ago when I was there. I actually dove the Arabia again this morning as well. :)

Wow... amazing viz! :thumb:

Well... since someone else brought it to the top...

I don't know anything about Tobermory- what are the water temps? How deep do you guys go- that last pic looks cold and deep (the face mask and the extra tanks- or is that a rebreather I guess?). Anyhoo- you guys are talking about shallow dives and I assumed it was ALL deep diving (which I have zero interest in in cold water :) ).

Ber and Notso_Ken ('cuz I know you'll read this!) maybe I'll plan to go with you guys next year if you go. Not this year- I have a luau to attend!

trucker,

Tobermory is kinda cool... I can't say too much about too deep but I can tell you surface (at the Tugs) when I was there the 2nd weekend of August, was 70ish degrees... not too bad... at 40', it dropped to 56 degrees... I'm not too sure what the other temps were but I am pretty sure the picture above of the Arabia is about a 120' dive and I'm sure would be quite cool.. Hopefully, someone with more experience of that depth and Tobermory will chime in but it is Northern Ontario so it can get cold.

Mike

Too Fricken' cold for me...I wuss out at the first thermocline which is about 15-20 feet...even in a dry suit.

trucker girl:
Well... since someone else brought it to the top...

I don't know anything about Tobermory- what are the water temps? How deep do you guys go- that last pic looks cold and deep (the face mask and the extra tanks- or is that a rebreather I guess?). Anyhoo- you guys are talking about shallow dives and I assumed it was ALL deep diving (which I have zero interest in in cold water :) ).

Ber and Notso_Ken ('cuz I know you'll read this!) maybe I'll plan to go with you guys next year if you go. Not this year- I have a luau to attend!

The wreck in the pic is the Arabia, which is about 100-110ft or so. I think at the temps at the time were in the 43F range. The other often dove wreck in the area is the Forest City, which maxes out at about 150ft in the silt, with similar bottom temps. But there are shallower wrecks that you can do in the 50-100ft range, like the Caroline Rose, Philo Scoville, Niagara II, but the bottom temps on some of these can still be just as low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom