Too old for tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The major problem with tech diving at that age is memory loss. Due to the critical nature of the.......

um...What were we talking about?

You are likely the best judge... one test you might try is strap on a pair of doubles and see how many squats you can do with them on your back...

:)

So how many squats are you suppose to get done, and what size doubles you talking about here.........:D

... one test you might try is strap on a pair of doubles and see how many squats you can do...
Good grief! Why blow a knee on purpose?
Half squats ... maybe.
And bear in mind that as your out-of-the-water load bearing ability diminishes, your skill with sidemount increases.
:D
Rick

The major problem with tech diving at that age is memory loss. Due to the critical nature of the.......

um...What were we talking about?

I can SOOOOO relate to that comment.

I will take every opportunity to audit classes I've already taken just to see what I have forgotten (and am often surprised by what I learn) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

one test you might try is strap on a pair of doubles and see how many squats you can do with them on your back...

I guess I wouldn't make it into one of Steve's classes . . . After two years of diving doubles, I can finally stand up from a kneeling position while wearing them!

I got my first cave cert at 53. There ARE issues related to age, many of which can be ameliorated or completely solved by the person with the ambitions. Many people lose muscle strength as they age, but this can be minimized with judicious exercise, and for tech diving, weight training is VERY helpful. Arthritis can limit one's ability to manipulate gear, or to climb ladders. Generally, help from buddies can work around this, or for cave diving, a sidemount gear setup which allows you to move your equipment to the water in pieces can help.

Many older people don't do cardiovascular training, and that's probably the scariest thing for someone with advanced diving aspirations. Silent coronary artery disease is common in our society, and "heart attack" is listed as the cause of death of too many divers. I think it's important to do your physical stress test (whether that's a formal one with a doctor, or an informal one done by exercising yourself) on land, before you do it in the water.

As we age, we also develop medical conditions, and need medication for them. Any medications someone is taking need to be scrutinized for their potential impact on diving, and in some cases, alternative medications might be preferred.

But, if one is reasonably fit (and I say reasonably, because I've never been very fit in my life, and I'm not now :) ) with good moderate exercise tolerance and no significant medical conditions, I don't think there is ANY reason why one cannot pursue advanced diving certifications. I'd have been one unhappy camper if I couldn't have found a cave instructor to teach me, because I was too old! (However, I will say that I was subject to the same fitness evaluation as my much younger classmates, and I passed.)

You start tech on air/nitrox.

You may, but not everyone does.

I have no desire to be at 60m on air.

This is a true statement.

Maybe insofar as people generally start by practicing gas switches, valve drills, line drills, etc., on air and nitrox.

Personally, my first actual stage deco dives were on trimix, and I think that's becoming more and more common.

Maybe insofar as people generally start by practicing gas switches, valve drills, line drills, etc., on air and nitrox.

Personally, my first actual stage deco dives were on trimix, and I think that's becoming more and more common.

In my area of the country much of the technical training is conducted via TDI programs, so most all divers will have executed staged deco profiles well before the introduction of any trimix training/usage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom