Too old for tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping to get into tech (a bit) after a couple years and a hundred or so more dives. I'm not really worried about the age factor (although I was happy to have that confirmed by this thread) as much as the MONEY factor. Helium? Hah! As if. Might as well be breathing gold dust.

Amen to that!

Nuno Gomes was 54 when he set the world record for a deep dive on Scuba. John Chatterton is 57 but still finds himself inside wrecks at great depth. 50 is the new 40. If you are in decent shape, it shouldn't hold you back.

Hello I'm 48 yrs old I have been diving for a few yrs now and have a ssi aow rescue I really want to try cave, cavern abd advanced nitrox but have been told by some that I may be to old I don't believe this but it did make me think. Please give me some feed back

Some people believe than anyone over 40 is too old to scuba dive.

That urban legend comes from the notion that there are several deaths on scuba each year simply from heart failure. Scuba can be strenuous at times.

I am older than you, and I lug around twin 130 tanks, and dive on hypoxic trimix to 250+ ft. But I also jog, play tennis, and swordfight almost daily as well.

So you need to be and stay in shape for techdiving.:)

I'll be 61 on Dec 28th; going cave diving.
Rick

I have sent you a PM. Please look into doing the diving you would like to do. As long as you are in good health I would follow my dream. By the way I am a tech diver and instructor and I am over 50.

I am 60 have a fake knee and have been diving for 40+ years. I am on my 5th generation of gear. I am extremely fit and I'm not gonna stop. Would much rather be diving doubles and deco bottle on the Cape Breton or the Saskatchewan or whizzing along Browning Wall than sitting in on mask removals at 20'. Don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do something but do get a thorough physical.

The tough part is finding life insurance for any diving other than shallow recreational dives.

"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old cuz you stop playing"

I know some people in their 50's (at least) who've just recently gotten into tech diving in the last couple years. So your age by itself shouldn't be a problem.
I am one of them. Started diving when I was 49 and planing to do it for at least 25 more years. I used to be a competitive marathon runner and I can tell you, that there are lots of guys in their 20-ties in the shape I wouldn't want to be when I am 80. So all up to you, go for it and enjoy it.

I have a friend who is a tech instructor and does a solo dive on his birthday every year to the equavalent depth of his age - this year he went to 69m

I'm hoping to get into tech (a bit) after a couple years and a hundred or so more dives. I'm not really worried about the age factor (although I was happy to have that confirmed by this thread) as much as the MONEY factor. Helium? Hah! As if. Might as well be breathing gold dust.

You start tech on air/nitrox. I've done my adv nitrox & deco procedures course, and been down to 60m; I'm yet to taste trimix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom