Training difference between Master Diver and Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please keep in mind that the original poster is currently listed as a NAUI Master Scuba Diver.

First of all, not all Master Scuba Diver certifications are created equal. SSI and PADI may hand these out like candy but some organizations actually require real work to be done to get this certification.

With respects to NAUI, the Master Diver course should teach a thorough understanding of dive equipment, physics, physiology, decompression theory, dive environment and other topics. The Divemaster course builds on to that base by adding information and skills that you would need in order to be able to supervise other divers. Very little diving knowledge is imparted during the Divemaster class since the diver should already know that information before taking the Divemaster class. The Divemaster class is more about working with people than about diving. At least it should be.

I've got the PADI MSD card. I took the "nuts & bolts" specialties like Nav, Deep, Wreck, etc. I think PADI would get less criticism if such courses as Underwater Photographer, etc. (there are at least 5 of them) were not eligible--not that they're not fun, informative courses, but I doubt they do much for diver safety & proficiency. Can a NAUI diver describe for me what the Rescue components are for NAUI MSD? Are there different/more techniques than we learned with PADI Rescue?

Actaully, the above are not entirely correct in that it depends on the agency... From what I have discovered, it sounds like SEI and NAUI have some of the better courses-there could be others.

With respects to NAUI, the Master Diver course should teach a thorough understanding of dive equipment, physics, physiology, decompression theory, dive environment and other topics.

I am a relatively new diver. Out of the following tests, the NAUI Master Diver (MD) was the hardest scuba test that I have ever written: OW (ACUC), AOW (NAUI), SRD (NAUI), and MD (NAUI).

A NAUI MD is not popcorn - it is earned. It is also a lot of fun.

I would add that talking to the instructor and making sure that they teach to the standards are important. In my research I found that the 2 NAUI shops in my area had totally different views of Master Diver. 1 wanted me to tag along on the advance class and lead a few of those dives with no academics being required (He said I would be board if he taught it so I would just take the books home and read them for myself). The other actually included a week of class time with an actual test along with 8 dives that would be based on my past record (in otherwords, if I did a lot of night diving he said I couldn't use night dives as part of my certification).

I still have not taken a MD course but I think a good one that pushes you out of your comfort level is a good idea at some point in your diving life.

I still have not taken a MD course but I think a good one that pushes you out of your comfort level is a good idea at some point in your diving life.

Salty - the following comment is slightly off topic, but your post brought it to mind.

A month ago I was diving with someone in Victoria, BC. I am landlocked, so I don't dive as often as I'd like to. He lives on the coast and dives a lot. While chatting he mentioned that while I had my MD, he was "only" AOW. Nevertheless, he was a way better diver than I was. I think that taking courses is a great way to learn good skills and avoid forming bad habits. Having said that, there is no substitute for experience.

Master Diver is a rating that can only be achieved after about ten years of working in the diving rating, passing all of the exams on diving physiology, physics, techniques, proceduures, equipment, and dive medicine as specified in the Navy Supervisor of Ship Salvage regulations, and it is the higest diver ranking achievable.

NAUI and SEI have atempted fairly sucessfully to do that through their training system.

PADI has simply stolen the title and made it something easy the accomplish.

Divemaster is purely a recreational scuba agency term for dive training assistants and recreational scuba diving guides. The training and testing for a Divemaster rating is very similar to the training through NAUI for Master Diver, except that the scuba certification agency adds information on the teaching of scuba diving, the teaching standards of the agency and skills of teaching scuba diving.

I've got the PADI MSD card. I took the "nuts & bolts" specialties like Nav, Deep, Wreck, etc. I think PADI would get less criticism if such courses as Underwater Photographer, etc. (there are at least 5 of them) were not eligible--not that they're not fun, informative courses, but I doubt they do much for diver safety & proficiency. Can a NAUI diver describe for me what the Rescue components are for NAUI MSD? Are there different/more techniques than we learned with PADI Rescue?

Hmm I used to think the same but these days I think I would have gotten far more out of an Underwater Photography class (as the ones around here seem to be run by very well respected photographers) than I would out of my Deep, Night, Drift and Navigation courses that I did for my SSI AOW...

Drunk chicks at the bars dig my Master Diver card.

There's a similar certification in the fishing world with regards to "baiting" :shocked2: that doesn't really impress the chicks! (I've only seen t-shirts with that designation though):rofl3:

As a MD I am proud of the certification. It may only be a gift from PADI, but, in order to get thae gift you must be an AOW diver, a rescue diver, for which you must have an EFR course or equivilant First Aid course, and have completed 5 specialty courses, and have 50 logged dives. Just remember I not only received a pretty new card but I also attended and passed exams for each and everyone of the 8 courses you need, and that isn`t counting the original OW cert!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom