Training difference between Master Diver and Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster is much more intesne on theory and mastery of skills to demonstartions quality. Master Scuba Diver is obtained after reaching the rescue diver level by simply acquiring a certain number of specialty certifications. They are two completely different programs. Master Scuba Diver is geared for improving and expanding your individual skills whihc Divemaster is a leadership/ training/safety/ planning/rescue focus.
Divemaster Dennis

I have taken more than enough courses to "earn" my master diver cert. from PADI. Some of those courses were very good and some were horrible, taught by people who shouldn't be teaching. Good divers they may have been, maybe, but teachers they were not. I see no need to send PADI money just so I can hand someone a "Master Diver" card instead of a rescue diver card. But that's just me and I don't hold it against anyone who does. JMHO.

To the OP, keep in mind, that even if you don't want to or can't take a certain course like a DM course, doesn't mean you can't learn the material by buying/borrowing the books/cd's etc... and studying on your own for your own benefit. Add that to questions you can ask some very informed people here, and you are well on your way. That's just one of many options though.

All that said, the biggest dif. in my opinion, and another take on this is that DM makes you much more likely to be held responsible...

The Divemaster is insured and "more" legally responsible for stuff than the non-pro, be he/she a Master Diver, Rescue Diver or OW diver. The non-pro may be legally responsible for mishaps because anyone can be sued for anything--another highly debated topic. PADI DM or NAUI MD--isn't all the dive theory stuff the same anyway? Either one can probably go back to the books and review how to raise a 100 lb. outboard motor from 100' of water (who has done this?). DM/MSD--an endless SB "arguement".

I'm still a long way from doing any form of Master Diver course, but I have thought about it a bit. Given that I'm not interested in being paid to dive in any real way, I'm wondering what the point of a Master Diver card is?

I'll certainly do rescue, there's all sorts of reasons for this. I'll also complete other courses and eventually will probably have enough training to qualify for Master Diver, but for someone who just loves to dive I don't see the point. My understanding is to maintain the certification you need to pay things like ongoing insurance.

If you're just diving for fun, why would you want the additional costs and implied liablitiy?

I have no thoughts of leading dives in the Caribbean, being an instructor, or even being a dive master in a dive master capacity. I took the DM class to improve my skill set, and to become a better diver. It was a Padi class and it took about 8 months to complete (for me anyway). The class room portion was intense, and the open water portion was even more intense. The student portion was not too bad but stressful knowing that these guppies may carry anything they learn from me for the rest of their lives (good, bad, or otherwise). My DM card never sees the light of day and when I go on dive trips I don't mention that I have that level of cert as I don't want the paid dive masters to shirk their paid duty and give me any less than what I paid for. Was worth the effort for me but may not be for some.
... my 2 cents
John

Actaully, the above are not entirely correct in that it depends on the agency. I have been researching this same topic and what I have learned is that Dive Master/Dive Con is the start to going pro but Master Diver is either a shiny new card that is handed out like halloween candy or a real certification with high standards. From what I have discovered, it sounds like SEI and NAUI have some of the better courses-there could be others.

This characterization is not entirely correct. Master Diver in the PADI curriculem is a recognition that is available after having completed a specified set of courses. If you choose 5 well taught specialties, you can end up with a Master Dive who is much more well versed than a graduate of a course where the course is taught in a haphazard manner. Where it does differ is that in a system like NAUI where there is a single course behind the card (rather than a student selected collection of courses) there is a systematic guarantee that certain material will be part of the master diver certification. But there is no systematic guarantee that the material will be taught well.

This is a case where not only the instructor, but the student choices, really matter. That said, I do recommend the NAUI master diver course with some frequency. But I've recently learned that the lack of QA controls in NAUI does mean that you have to be just as careful about instructor selection in that agency as in any other.

I have taken more than enough courses to "earn" my master diver cert. from PADI. Some of those courses were very good and some were horrible, taught by people who shouldn't be teaching. Good divers they may have been, maybe, but teachers they were not. I see no need to send PADI money just so I can hand someone a "Master Diver" card instead of a rescue diver card. But that's just me and I don't hold it against anyone who does. JMHO.

My take's slightly different. I plan on doing PADI Rescue Diver next month and, time permitting, pick up enough specialties afterwards to qualify for the Master Scuba Diver rating. I'll almost certainly plunk down the dough for the MSD card, mostly just for my own satisfaction, and will probably show it in place of my AOW card when necessary. After all, why not? I will have earned it. Having said that, I'm well aware it's the diver not the card and a MSD card is nothing to brag about. I'm always brutally honest about the limits of my training and experience and an MSD card isn't going to change that.

To the OP, keep in mind, that even if you don't want to or can't take a certain course like a DM course, doesn't mean you can't learn the material by buying/borrowing the books/cd's etc... and studying on your own for your own benefit. Add that to questions you can ask some very informed people here, and you are well on your way. That's just one of many options though.

On this point I couldn't agree more. I've purchased and read five or six PADI specialty course manuals and watched the DVDs (zzzzzz) just for fun. I may or may not ever take any of those courses, but I enjoy reading scuba-related materials and hopefully made myself a better diver, or at least a better informed diver, along the way. And even though I won't ever be a Dive Master, I'll almost certainly get around to reading the DM manual some day for the same reasons.

I'm wondering what the point of a Master Diver card is?

When I see a PADI Master Diver card, I know that the person has completed OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties, 25'ish training dives, and 25'ish fun dives. It speaks to a certain dive experience level. It is a little helpful for the initial assement of a person when considering which dive sites to go to and the type of person on the boat. Once again, the initial assessment. If someone were to flash only an AOW card, ok, that person could have as little as 9 dives under his belt. 41 more dives does mean something.

My understanding is to maintain the certification you need to pay things like ongoing insurance.

There is a difference between a " PADI divemaster" and an "insured PADI divemaster with active teaching status". The first one is someone that completed the course; therefore, they have a further developed their skills. The second one did that as well, but they also paid their dues and insurance. Once you get the black divemaster card it is still a valid certification level with or without the additional money.

If you're just diving for fun, why would you want the additional costs and implied liablitiy?

There is no implied liabilty. If I am not being paid to dive with or teach someone, I do not have a standard/duty of care. We need to have an agreement in place for me to be liable. Granted, anyone can be sued for anything. It is just as likely that a "Rescue Diver" could get sued if an OW Diver has an accident on the boat.

I have seen one scuba diving school that uses the Master Scuba Diver as a pre-requisite to begining the Dive Master course, sort of like earning your degree in something before going to teachers college to learn how to teach it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom