Training difference between Master Diver and Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love these topics and boy did I used to get worked up over it because some folks just think of PADI and not even worry about the rest.

I am DiveMaster but unless it is a dive where I am making money I only show my OW card maybe AOW if it is required. Some people just love to show off all there cards and I just love to watch :popcorn:...

Well, to be fair, I looked at the NAUI Master Scuba Diver program and it looks like about the same as PADI.

Well, to be fair, I looked at the NAUI Master Scuba Diver program and it looks like about the same as PADI.

Well, (and I know little about NAUI's exact requirements) as I mentioned, the NAUI academic (dive theory, etc.) part of Master Diver is PROBABLY similar to PADI Divemaster's. The theory is the same for everyone. As far as comparing the two Master Diver programs: If you take away the theory from the NAUI one, I don't see a lot of difference. I believe NAUI has some rather intense stamina (swimming, underwater swimming, skin diving, etc.) tests, but it could be debated how much these improve one's scuba diving. But they are there. As far as the required dives for NAUI's MD, I think it's about 8, as opposed to a POSSIBLE 20 or so for PADI IF you choose specialties that actually require dives at all. So it's apples and oranges and depends on what PADI specialties one takes.

NAUI's Master Diver Program is much different. The information in the Master Diver program goes far beyond the PADI program. PADI has no decompression procedures or hyperbaric medicine info to anywhere close to the degree NAUI does. I have the NAUI manual as well as the instructor materials. I also have the PADI materials. There is no specific Master Diver course. A NAUI Master diver is supposed to have instructor level knowledge and skills. As a former PADI DM I can say that the DM program does not come close in terms of overall knowledge. The dive number is misleading as By the time someone is ready or would likely be accepted for the NAUI MD program they'd need to have experience in fresh and salt water. Would already have done AOW and Rescue at a minimum and been thoroughly evaluated on skills and knowledge as well as dive practices before being allowed to start the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom