Training dive, Cove 2, 9/15/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you, Nicole (ligers). The term has ugly baggage, and I'd love to come up with a substitute for it.

Oh, that's right . . . I DID! And then that term got co-opted by another agency, so it's no longer agency-neutral. So I'm back to DIR again :)

It was a strange week, that began with solo diving during a DIR mentoring dive, went on to a very "DIR" dive with one buddy who's never had ANY training from a "DIR" agency, and ended with a dive with a very pleasant fellow on CCR. Just to show you that the diving world is a complex place, and few of us fit neatly into anyone's boxes.

Slow your roll everyone. I said stop using the term "DIR Curious". It just doesn't sound right to me: "DIR curious Bob likes my long hose"? No, its ___, just say "Bob's interested in DIR" alright?

Last edited:
Since joining SB a few years ago I have always marveled at the enthusiasm of the PNW contingent. It seems to have disproportionally high DIR ratio among it's ranks. Thank you for your contributions! :thumb:

It's just that the conditions here somewhat self-select. If you're only so-so interested in diving, then you probably won't bother to do the cold water diving here. And if you do... then you're probably knee deep in crazy about it. Thus... enthusiastic.

And, as I said... crazy. But what a fine group of loonies we are. :rofl3:

GREAT summary, Lynne! I love the humility and honesty in your reports and how you teach by illustration how important it is for each diver to hold their own standards for themselves, and then work toward them.

I would stop using the term if there were a better one. Problem is, I feel that DIR is more inclusive than exclusive. For example, some of my buddies and I often set up charters....we call them DIR charters because we invite divers who dive like us or are curious about the type of diving we do. If we set up a GUE charter, then our UTD and TDI (etc) buddies would be excluded...

For lack of a better term, I still use it.

We are faced with a similar dilemma. Will soon help coordinate a local M&G where the focus is for DIR divers, and those who are interested, to connect with each other. Although our whole community is welcome to join the fun.

We have no idea how else to title the event, since DIR is a very unpopular term in this region :idk:? One person suggested a "Long Hose M&G" - but that doesn't sound quite right.

We are faced with a similar dilemma. Will soon help coordinate a local M&G where the focus is for DIR divers, and those who are interested, to connect with each other. Although our whole community is welcome to join the fun.

We have no idea how else to title the event, since DIR is a very unpopular term in this region :idk:? One person suggested a "Long Hose M&G" - but that doesn't sound quite right.

Just call it a DIR M&G for god's sake. If anyone is so vehemently turned off by 3 letters then they won't be listening to anything else about long hoses, bungied backups, non-split fins or whatever anyway.

Call it DIR or GUE style (thats what I call it I guess, but primarily because i AM trying to promote GUE classes) or whatever floats yer boat, but bring Brownies and Hot Coco w/Marshmallows...

"winning over the hearts and minds of the natives one diver at a time... with treats!" (imagining an airdrop of hershey bars with little HALCYON logos) *grin*

"come to the DIR side, we have brownies!"

One thing that hasn't really been touched on as much... the other neat thing about DIR style diving is not just that you can go anywhere in the world and find someone to dive with that dives 'in the style', but even better, you can find/foster a group of divers in your area who dive the same way as you. Suddenly you go from having one primary buddy to a 'team' of primary buddies. The number one reason people drop out of diving is lack of a dive buddy... The nice thing about this style of diving is once you are hooked in to the conduit, you have access to a constant stream of dive buddies. And instead of being freaked out that this new dive buddy is gonna swim off, or run their gas down, or whatever, what new divers end up finding out is that it's almost like diving with the same person again and again (subtle differences aside) which is really really comforting when you are starting out. consistency is key, and diving with a group where everyone dives basically the same way builds consistency. There isn't that 'cringe' that you are gonna get hooked up with the hoover or the swim away-er or whatnot. it makes diving more enjoyable for many of us :)

Just call it a DIR M&G for god's sake. If anyone is so vehemently turned off by 3 letters then they won't be listening to anything else about long hoses, bungied backups, non-split fins or whatever anyway.

I don't think that many local divers are turned off by the term "DIR". It's just very rarely used within our community for self identification.

But I agree, probably the best term to use.

but bring Brownies and Hot Coco w/Marshmallows...

"winning over the hearts and minds of the natives one diver at a time... with treats!" (imagining an airdrop of hershey bars with little HALCYON logos) *grin*

"come to the DIR side, we have brownies!"

:rofl3:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom