Transpac II and wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably a little overwhelming to think about all the options and wings at first, but if you already know you're not happy with a jacket, why buy one? If you're looking at Dive-Rite, I'd have to agree with everyone here that the Trek Wings aren't the way to go for singles or doubles. I'd look at the Venture Wings. They are relatively new wings put out by Dive-Rite for single tank diving.

There's nothing wrong with a Transpac II. I used to dive one and liked it. I eventually bought a backplate and decided I really liked that and that's all I've dove for the last 2 1/2 years. One benefit of buying the Transpac (with the right wing) is should you decide later on to move to a backplate and wing setup, you already have the wing.

To buy a jacket now, when you already know you don't like seems like it's taking a step in the wrong direction and a waste of money.

bpage08:
I disliked how the jacket I used during training would squeeze the crap out of me when I inflated it and it had a tendancy to raise me vertically while underneath. I was told that both of these would be helped with a wing over a jacket. I think after getting some input I've decided to go with a jacket while I continue to learn and then upgrade to maybe a harness in the future.
I'm not directing you towards a jacket BC... just wanted to know what your motivations are. I'd go for a quality BP/wing system: the dive rite system is better than a jacket. But the cleaner (and more easily upgraded to doubles down the road) are OMS single's wing (30#), Oxycheq singles and Halcyon Pioneer (27 or 36#). I'd lean towards the Pioneer since you won't need an STA with it.

In all honesty, most of the backplate/wing systems are less expensive than the quality traditional BCs. If you think you wanna go the way of the BP/wings, do it from the get go. The DO NOT feel good on land... but in the water you'll love it.

If you must stay with a "jacket" get a good back inflate design with as few d-rings and pockets (and other crud) as possible.

My own BC purchase was a good wasting of $600.

If I ordered this:
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=964&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc
and this:
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=964&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc
would I need anything else to replace a jacket? Both of those together is just at the amount I have to spend on a BCD or would a backplate also be needed. Dont get me wrong though, I liked the simplicity of the jacket but after learning about the wings I thought I would be happier with one. If I get the jacket now I can afford to buy my own tank but if I get the wing I would have to rent takes for a little while(I'm using graduation money to buy this and I've almost ran out).

Those two items will replace a jacket. You don't need to buy a backplate.

You can, however, buy a backplate instead of the Transpac II harness...for less than the harness.

Not trying to confuse you, just giving you other options.

To answer your question directly though...Yes what you have linked will replace a jacket bc.

I'm not all that familar with DiveRite.. basically b/c their wing's are not the most ideal shape and I decided against them without looking closer.

Have you looked at other manufacturers.

I'm now repeating myself, so this will be my last say here... someone else can take over. -- I'd go with backplate and harness... not the transpack. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml (see standard webbing harness) and an SS BP. This should save you about $100 over the transpac and is better in the long run.

OK ok, I think I'm getting a feel for what all is out there and how it's used. There are a lot of things out there and it was a little overwhelming at first. Thanks for the help.

I have a TPII with a Trek wing and love it. Dive it with singles all the time from AL80's to Steel 120's and it's been fine. From overhead environment to tropical diving it's been great. It is also adequate for a set of AL80 doubles but it's not the best. I will upgrade to a larger wing when my doubles are finally put together.

bpage08:
OK ok, I think I'm getting a feel for what all is out there and how it's used. There are a lot of things out there and it was a little overwhelming at first. Thanks for the help.

Maybe someone from the board that dives this type set up would be willing to meet up with you and help you figure things out.

5615mike:
I have a TPII with a Trek wing and love it. Dive it with singles all the time from AL80's to Steel 120's and it's been fine. From overhead environment to tropical diving it's been great. It is also adequate for a set of AL80 doubles but it's not the best. I will upgrade to a larger wing when my doubles are finally put together.

Why don't you like the trek wing for double al80's? I think its just about perfect for them? Do you still have the bungees on the wing?

mer:
I'm not all that familar with DiveRite.. basically b/c their wing's are not the most ideal shape and I decided against them without looking closer.

Have you looked at other manufacturers.

I'm now repeating myself, so this will be my last say here... someone else can take over. -- I'd go with backplate and harness... not the transpack. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/backplates.shtml (see standard webbing harness) and an SS BP. This should save you about $100 over the transpac and is better in the long run.

Better why? Better how? For who?..........you? Maybe not this particular individual. This person has said they are new to the sport and your assuming that they are interested in tech diving. Yea, I know, BP/W is fine for beginners as well but your shelving of the TP without personal experience is wrong and misleading IMO.

Maybe you might want to consider evaluating your opionion here mer. You have already admitted that you don't know much about DR gear. OK, then why are you commenting on it. What, just repeating what you've heard others say? That's constuctive and brilliant at the same time. Dive with the wings and gear before you make such pointed comments..................just MHO........

PS - Wing size depends on weight/required lift. You don't just pick a wing for the sake of picking one. Depends on whether your diving wet or dry. Travel wing would probably be fine if your only diving tropical waters and diving a shorty or skin but your certainly not going to dive that wing with a 7mm, 50 degree water and a steel hp 95 or 120.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom