Transpac II and wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy:
Why don't you like the trek wing for double al80's? I think its just about perfect for them? Do you still have the bungees on the wing?

It's been fine the three times I dove doubles with them but I was diving 7mm wet with about 20lbs. of weight I think. Can't remeber for sure. I think I would upgrade to the Rec Wing or possibly an Abyss. No, I don't use the bungee. Cut it off the day I bought it.

If your main objective is to eliminiate squeeze, you can also consider back-inflate BC's.

I absolutely love my Zeagle Ranger, and most of my buds dive with one, too. Very configurable (supports singles and doubles), VERY sizable, and VERY VERY durable (lifetime warranty).

-Allen

I dive with the Trans Pack II and the Rec Wings and love it. Never dove them with doubles. For diving in tropical waters I change the rec wings to the travel wings. With only 15 lbs lift the travel wings are too small in my opinion for dry suit diving.

Check out the Dive Rite web page, they also have a backplate with either a web system or a Trans Pack II setup on the backplate.

From this board, I am starting to think the backplate may be a better setup. The pad on my Trans Pack is starting to rip after about 9 years of diving. The plate looks like it will last a long time.

Good luck

I have used ... and still own some of ... several Dive Rite configurations. I own and use a TransPac II and a TransPlate. I currently own a Rec Wing. I used to own a Venture Wing. I have dived the Trek Wing. So I can provide some comments based on personal experience.

To answer the poster's original question ... yes, the TransPac II and any suitable wing will replace the jacket style BC. In fact, as soft pack BCD's go, the TransPac II is a very good performer.

What some people are trying to say is that for the same money, a backplate and harness system will produce better durability, performance (a matter of opinion in some circles) and modularity (for upgrading at a later date). Dive Rite makes a backplate system called the TransPlate that is very similar to a TransPac II, but uses a stainless steel backplate instead of the standard denier material. You may want to take a look at it before making your decision. Personally, I own both and prefer the TransPlate.

I don't think the Trek Wing is a good choice if your intent is to eventually use it for doubles. The top of the wing is rather constricting ... even on some larger singles cylinders. You didn't specify a number of things that could help you make a more informed choice of wing ... such as your size and weight, exposure suit, and size of cylinders you plan to dive. These all need to be considered when deciding the appropriate size wing for you.

FWIW - I think the Venture wing is one of Dive Rite's nicest wings ... but it's designed specifically for singles. It only offers 30# of lift, but if that's all you need, it's an excellent choice.

I'm not personally fond of the Trek Wing. It's narrow at the top, wide at the bottom, and tends to be more difficult to vent than some other single-wing designs. If you're looking for lift in the 40-45# range, I'd recommend looking at an Oxycheq or Halcyon wing instead. I use an Oxycheq 45# singles wing, and I think it's one of the nicest pieces of gear I own.

If you need a larger wing, the Rec Wing is adequate for singles with the bungee installed, or for small doubles if you remove the bungee ... but it's not ideal for either. IMO - no one makes a wing that's good for both ... there's just too many compromises involved in accommodating both singles and doubles.

For a singles wing, you want to look for something that's donut shaped, fairly narrow in the center (where your cylinder sits). The donut shape provides a bit of air beneath the bottom of the cylinder that helps stabilize your trim, and it gives the air a space to travel from one side to the other to make it easier to vent.

For a doubles wing, you want something that's horseshoe shaped, and fairly wide in the center (to accommodate two cylinders). The same thing that gives a donut shape advantages for singles proves to be a disadvantage for doubles. And a wide wing that's built to accommodate doubles will "taco" around a single cylinder, trapping air and making it more difficult to vent.

So the bottom line is, use a singles wing for singles, and a doubles wing for doubles ... or accept that any wing you try to use for both will produce compromised performance for either.

Hope this adequately answers your question ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mer:
I'm not all that familar with DiveRite.. basically b/c their wing's are not the most ideal shape and I decided against them without looking closer.

I disagree... I found the Rec Wing to be excellent for single tank diving. For double 80s, it's marginal.

I've been diving a TPII for a while now, and am just making the switch to BP/wing. I'm basicly doing so for 3 reasons:

1. Simplicity... a single piece of webbing as opposed to a net of webbing, plastic quick releases, and connecting rings. It's a more elegant configuration, and there's less clutter.
  2. durability... one piece of steel, and one piece of webbing (with a few d-rings on adjustable tri-glides). There's not much that can go wrong with that.
  3. standardization... It's what my most frequent dive buddies are using, and it's easier to do checks and manage emergencies if we're all at least somewhat standardized.

I found the TPII to be a great improvement over the jacket style BCs, but when I started diving dry, the chest strap was interfering with my inflator (and restricting breathing to a small extent). I like not having a strap there, but the angles built into the TPII harness make it difficult to wear it securely without.

bpage08:

No, you do not need anything else. Those two items alone will replace a jacket.

For weight integration (which you may or may not want, your choice), you will need to add this:

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3409&prmenbr=946

and this:

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3411&prmenbr=946

Having said that, you may want to reconsider your purchasing source. While you will save $100 online, you may not get the best fit.

The Transpac II is modular. Buying online, you will get S, M, L, or XL choices exclusively. If you buy from an LDS educated on the TP II, they can mix and match sizes for an on-the-spot custom fit at no additional cost. For example, you may find that you need a Medium back-harness, a Large waist strap, and Small shoulder straps. Some LDS's here will even swap out a part free after a few dives if the fit needs to be fine-tuned.

Improper sizing sometimes leads to complaining of "sloppy fit", "tank roll", "riding up", etc.

As for wing size, others have already given you plenty of advice to assist in that department.

bpage08:

Technically, that's all you need: the transpac and a wing.

The one option that you may want to add is the crotch strap. Prevents it from riding up. If you look at most bp/w set-ups, a crotch strap is used.

And if you don't want to use your weight belt, then you can use the integrated weight pockets for the transpac. But for $100 msrp, it's not cheap.

I dive the TranspacII with Travel wing - a 5mm wetsuit - and a single steel 120. It works great and although it seems to be suggested that this is not a good enough wing for the tank - I've never had any problems and don't feel like I need any more lift. Virtually the only time I actually have any air in the wing is on the surface - at the beginning or end of the dive.

I dive a Transpac II with a Rec Wing and I love it. Great improvement and control underwater...it stays glued to your back. It is modular and adjustable...I use the weight integrated pouches and a crotch strap. I stay level, comfortable and the BC does not ride around on your back. For me, the Rec Wing is large enough for more complicated diving and adjustable for more leisurely diving...I usually do NC wreck diving...large single tanks AL100's...I feel the Rec Wing provides enough lift and is adjustable for most diving. I will never go back to my jacket style bc and weight belt. The Transpac II is rugged by design and incredibly adjustable.

I would stay away from purchasing BC's and Regulators online...I keep a rule of NOT buying life supporting gear online...warranty issues, grey market issues, and you never, ever really know where it was shipped from. I know that Dive Rite and many other manufacturers only deal with a list of LDSs...so, purchase life supporting gear at the LDS that sells Dive Rite products etc. You want to know what your getting and you want to be able to maintain it. The extra $100 or so you might spend is peace of mind.

Just my two cents.

I think I've decided on a BP/W but I'm still undecided on the wing. I'll be diving mostly in a warm quarry and summer dives in south alabama in the gulf. I'll be using a single al80 but I might possibly buy a slighty larger tank soon. Is there any benefit of the venture wing over the travel wing? Both show the same amount of life and both take single tanks. The only difference I see is price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom