Transpac II and wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpage08:
I'll be diving mostly in a warm quarry
Now this I've gotta see... where's that?
------
Some thoughts on backplates, wings & the Dive-Rite Transpac... Over the years I have accumulated a Transpac II, an aluminum BP, a FredT Heavy steel BP, travel, Rec & Classic wings.
This weekend I'll be diving the Transpac II with travel wing and single LP104's (PST) and LP120's (Faber). Since I own all that other stuff, the reason I choose to dive the Transpac with single tanks is 'cause that's what I like the best with LP steels.
I use the FredT Heavy and Rec wing for double AL80's or Faber LP85's, and the AL BP & Classic wing for double PST LP95's & 104's. (I use the Transpac/Rec wing for independent double 80's usually, when I dive them)
If I didn't have the Transpac I'd dive a jacket before diving a BP with singles. In fact, for tropical vacation diving with AL 80's I prefer a tropical jacket over the transpac.
YMMV
Rick
PS - almost forgot... if you ever want to rig side mount, the Transpac's the ticket.

bpage08:
I think I've decided on a BP/W but I'm still undecided on the wing. I'll be diving mostly in a warm quarry and summer dives in south alabama in the gulf. I'll be using a single al80 but I might possibly buy a slighty larger tank soon. Is there any benefit of the venture wing over the travel wing? Both show the same amount of life and both take single tanks. The only difference I see is price.
If I remember correctly, the travel wing is only for the trans pac system. So you have to go for the venture wing if you want to use a backplate.

eod:
If I remember correctly, the travel wing is only for the trans pac system. So you have to go for the venture wing if you want to use a backplate.
Correct - the travel wing doesn't do backplates.
Rick

I use a Rec wing with a backplate and double 72's. It works very well in this application but the Rec wing does get slightly squeezed between the backplate and the double tanks as it is a lot narrower than a doubles dedicated wing like the Classic.

This is not really a problem with small 6.75" diameter tanks like steel 72' s where the effect is minimal but the Rec wing would be marginal with a more normal 7.25" diameter tank like an AL 80 and would be a really bad idea with larger 8.0" diameter tanks. It would however not be a problem with a TPII harness where there is no backplate to sandwich the wing against the tanks.

As indicated above, the Rec wing works ok for singles as long as the bungees are installed and works very well to not very well at all for doubles depending on tank size. If you need one wing for both singles and doubles, it will do the job, within limits, but if you want a wing strictly for use with doubles you can do a lot better.

In terms of lift capacity, the Rec wing is well suited to cold water diving with doubles where a fair amount of lift is needed to offset the weight required to sink a 7mm exposure suit.

Rick Murchison:
Now this I've gotta see... where's that?

Well the surface is in the 80's I believe but of course it drops considerably near the bottom. I dont know what most consider warm but it's warm to me but I love cold weather and really cold water during alabama summers.

Will a venture wing be sufficient for any single tank in terms of lift?

I think I've decided on:
Aluminum backplate
deluxe harness
venture wing
single tank mount kit

I'm ordering tomorrow morning in hopes it will be here by next weekend so I can try it out next Saturday. Does anyone see any problems with this set-up for quearry and warm water diving? I've decided to order online because my local dive shop is just way too overpriced when it comes to anything bcd related. I bought everything else from them so I hope no one thinks that I dont support them.

Thanks for everyones help, you guys have made the quest to pick out my first BCD much simpler than I thought it was going to be.

bpage08:
Well the surface is in the 80's I believe but of course it drops considerably near the bottom. I dont know what most consider warm but it's warm to me but I love cold weather and really cold water during alabama summers.

Will a venture wing be sufficient for any single tank in terms of lift?

I think I've decided on:
Aluminum backplate
deluxe harness
venture wing
single tank mount kit

I'm ordering tomorrow morning in hopes it will be here by next weekend so I can try it out next Saturday. Does anyone see any problems with this set-up for quearry and warm water diving? I've decided to order online because my local dive shop is just way too overpriced when it comes to anything bcd related. I bought everything else from them so I hope no one thinks that I dont support them.

Thanks for everyones help, you guys have made the quest to pick out my first BCD much simpler than I thought it was going to be.

Stop...do not order your life supporting equipment online...go through your local LDS. Then again...it is all on you and what you want. Check out the warranty information before you buy.

With any equipment discussion...every diver has different needs in terms of how they dive, what makes them feel comfortable and what works for them in the long run. I decided to dive with a Transpac after reading about it, asking people about it, trying them on for fit...and, I liked the modular, adjustable design for the price. Depending on the diving...one can always swap out the wing and go to another wing. My thinking at the time of purchase was that I wanted a BC that was flexible in most environments...one thing is for sure...I like the stability and the control of a Transpac...even if I were diving a warm water reef...I would stick with my Transpac.

I'll chime in if it matters. I own and dive just about everything that has been suggested. I 'd probably go along with Murch. I don't carry a BP/W to the carib. A 6lb B/P is too much for me. I love my TP II with a travel wing for warm water diving. I also agree that a BP/W is probably a little more versatile. The TP is a little sloppy with big doubles and stages and since I'm diving dry the weight's not an issue so I'm using a BP. The difference between the Travel and Venture is the Travel wing is made out of a lighter weight material and has a slighly different( kinda square) shape and 30lbs lift. The Venture wing has a more oval shape, heavier material and the same 30lb lift. As has been said the Travel can only be used with cam bands and single tank, the Venture will go both ways. I like the comment that after 9 years the TP II is starting to show some wear! Lamar, you reading this?

MSilvia:
I disagree... I found the Rec Wing to be excellent for single tank diving. For double 80s, it's marginal.

I've been diving a TPII for a while now, and am just making the switch to BP/wing. I'm basicly doing so for 3 reasons:

I've got mixed views on the Recwing. I bought mine from my friend Jamie (jamiei, of Suunto interface fame), and I think it is an all around good wing. It is decent for single tank diving (although there is significant "tacoing", which is somewhat remedied by the bungees) and I look forward to trying it out with doubles.

The only problem I've had with it with a single is that its pretty bulky. There's a lot of wing flopping around out there. So while I definitely like the BP/Wing setup much better than any standard jacket BC, I think a single-tank specific wing would be awesome.

UGA:
I've got mixed views on the Recwing. I bought mine from my friend Jamie (jamiei, of Suunto interface fame), and I think it is an all around good wing. It is decent for single tank diving (although there is significant "tacoing", which is somewhat remedied by the bungees) and I look forward to trying it out with doubles.

The only problem I've had with it with a single is that its pretty bulky. There's a lot of wing flopping around out there. So while I definitely like the BP/Wing setup much better than any standard jacket BC, I think a single-tank specific wing would be awesome.
That's why I like the Travel wing - the shape. You can only use it on the Transpac though - I don't know if any equivelent exists for a BP.

Back
Top Bottom