Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KilgoreTrout once bubbled...

I know the single layer issue doesn't sit as well with me, but it because it is so streamlined I think it should be fine. I try not to swim into sharp metal.

I try not to swim into sharp metal either. There is a thread in this forum about punctured Pioneer wings. Halcyon has provided replacements in some cases. It is unfortunate that there really are not many alternative products in terms of 'single tank only' wings for use on a BP. The ones I know about are the ND x-wing which requires some DIY modifications and the new Deep Outdoors 34# wing. Oxy Check [sp?] may have one soon.

I know the DIR folk do not like slide fasteners or anything made out of plastic, but I really like the ability to unhook a shoulder stap in the water and do in water adjustments of the shoulder straps. The transpac 2 allows this just like a conventional BC. I also prefer to have a chest strap because it keeps the shoulder straps away from my armpits. Some of these features are available with non-hog harneses on BP's as well.

Friction from the backpad on the TP2 keeps the harness from riding up without needing a crotchstrap. It is possible to get used to anything, and indeed some TP2 owners prefer to use a crotchstrap, but the ole jock is something I would rather live without. Where does the scooter go? I will worry about that when someone gives me a scooter.

Like some of you above who tried a TP (or similar) and prefer a BP, I tried a BP and prefer a TP2.

Comfort and even convenience are subjective, I agree. I am just in another camp so far as the BC thing goes.

for being a sane voice in the emotional throng.

I'll tell you one direct advantage a BP/Wing setup has over a transpac. It will make other divers think you're experienced and cool. I dove with someone who had less than 50 dives, but was diving a BP/Wing setup. The divemaster treated her as if she was George Irvine.

I bought my wing after dive #2. I was always treated like Mr. Tech diver.

Oh, how we laughed!

Anyway, I know a lot of people with TP2s and they seem to really like them.

Another BC to look at is the OMS IQ Pack. It is quite similar to the TP2 and it allows the use of a BP. My buddy has one and it is very comfy, easy to don, and the BP holds your tanks nice and steady.

Good stuff

Peter Doege

edit: Added the TP2 and IQ pack stuff so that my post was somewhat on topic.

The TP2 is a good option, for me - I am a recent convert and love it, but can't say anything bad against the BP because I haven't tried one.

what kind of diving are you doing ?

If there's a king of the warm water weenies, I'm the queen. While I'd like to learn the skill of drysuit diving, I'd hate to have to actually wear one just to dive without freezing. Different types of diving require diferent equipment considerations. I wouldn't trade my TP2 for diving here in the tropics. It adjusts well to fit different wetsuits, lets me make a wing choice based on tank configuration, and most of all, configures well to the female body shape. Comfort, stability, and manageability in the water is part of what keeps the stress down, and enjoyment up.

Sign me another happy trashpack2 (affectionately speaking, of course) diver.

Darlene

I bought my TPII to get some of the good tech features without having to look too techy myself. The dive master can figure out from how I move in the water whether I'm good or not. Hard to hide bad diving skills once you're under, tech rig or not.

Also, most of the tropical professional dive masters I've seen dive pretty trashed BCs of all kinds. So if you want to look like a pro leave the BP or TPII at home and bring the ancient, faded, leaking, old BC :wink: .

I'll keep my TPII though. In Rangiroa where you have to dive off small Zodiacs the quick releases and adjustability are very handy. To get the BC on you have to contort yourself and so need the looser strap. To get the BC off in the water to hand up you can simply unclip one side and roll the rig off. Wrist computers, watches, etc. won't get hung up.

well i havnt been certified yet:upset: but i plan to do coast dives, maybe some lake dives, and few carribean dives.

SCUBedoobedoo once bubbled...
well i havnt been certified yet:upset: but i plan to do coast dives, maybe some lake dives, and few carribean dives.

Then get certified and stop worrying about gear. You got the cart before the horse.

Back
Top Bottom