Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...

You are really going over the line here because you are calling me a liar.

Nope, I said in my experience. Your statements were misleading and untrue. As in pointing out to someone that a single on a backplate doesn't cut it. I dive them all the time. Without a problem. Why don't they cut it for you? Explain... Help me and the person looking at both systems understand.

Does your experience create some immutable truth that makes my experience misleading and untrue if it is different?

Nope, that's why I asked you to explain it. So I and the original poster of this thread would understand where you're coming from on your statements.

Review my many earlier posts in this forum, you have read them before. Also review posts by Netdoc and Rick Murchison on this same topic.

Actually no, I don't read all your posts. Or all of Netdoc's post's. Or all of Rick Murchison's posts. I only chime in on things I do. Or have an interest in. A newbie asking for the 1 millionth time what BC he should buy. I don't usually read. Just on occasion. Most people here can lead them in a proper direction. Be it jacket or back inflate.

I have been trying to avoid being critical of BP's to save those who use them from excessive grief. However, the statement that the TP2 does not cut it for technical diving is utter BS.

Go ahead be critical. It would be nice to hear your problems with a BP. Helps the guy who's buying a new BC make his own choice.

But using duals on my TP 2 was a pain in the butt for me. It shifted around and I didn't like that. And I've heard everyone say they don't like using the Halcyon with the rods for the same reason. But a single on my TP 2 shifts around a little to. But it isn't as heavy as duals.
But I don't do sidemounts. So couldn't really coment on this. I just know it can be set up that way. Do you dive sidemounts?

Also, get a life.

I do have one. Thanks for asking..:D

BP and wing isn't for everyone. Most people do fine with a Jacket. Back inflate isn't for everyone either...

My BP's have a coating on them. Don't feel the cold or heat of the day. Even in a t shirt. It's a rough plasting bedliner coating. I still use the crotch strap. Because I like it being more stable. But the texture coating keeps it on my back easier while donning and doffing. Can't buy it. Have to have it done custom. But I still have a couple without the coating.

And I have both setups. A BP and wing, actually several, and a Transpak 2. I dive them both. Never said either was junk. But you can dive duals and singles with both. But I don't like duals on the Transpak. It's more stable on the BP. Bolted to steel is always sturdier then bolted to fabric. And duals weigh alot.

If I'm diving duals all weekend. I bring 2 sets. So all I change is the regs.

Oh,
About costs.

And OMS 55 or 65 and a Diverite AL backplate HOG rigged
Without tanks. is $250 For duals

Want a TREK, CLASSIC, REC wing. All of $329.99 with a Stainless plate. HOG or DELUXE with the little plastic do dad clip.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

I have a Trek on my Transpak 2 The Rec was larger then I wanted for singles. And I can use the Trek with dual AL 80's...

Halcyon isn't the only supplier. But I do like there wings. But for duals I use OMS wings without the bunjees. It's what I could get at the time.

lal7176 once bubbled...

It would seem that you are calling all of us liars who enjoy and like using a bp with a single tank. Whats up with that? :confused:

Get a life.

Get a life.

Why don't we all just post what we like and why we like it and not take different opinions as personal insults.

Chad

lal7176 once bubbled...

You still have not answered the question concerning BP's and single tanks.
Pretty typical of you, throw out an insult then go hide in the corner and suck your thumb :baby:

Is your DOB 1/30/71 or 1/30/91?

Sigh....:huh:

just look at what the world record holders use, and that should speak for itself. Besides the record holders, those that are the support divers, push divers etc. use the same gear. Do the research and you will find it for yourself, don't take it from anyone (including me) here. Trust the ones that have the real experience and those that have done the real dives.

That is like saying look at what the formula 1 and indycar drivers wear and thats what you want when you have first learnt to drive. a Nissan Micra with a full face helmet and kevlar suit

This thread started off with advice for a novice diver then mutates to this, as it usualy does.

Yes there is a good argument for using b/P or TPII and that they can be used from day one all the way up to advanced dive situations, however for 90% of novices this is not the case.
1) They will problaby never get twins
2) lack of releases may be great when carrying twins and a lot of gear but for a novice this is not good. what happens if they have to remove it at the surface in choppy conditions (now going to get a list of how to do it right), this maybe something YOU do without thinking but for a novice it may not be quite so simple.
3) They may not be so comforatble with back inflates as a novice diver. Not everyone who learns to dive has a much passion about it as some of the people posting on this board, and understands the nuances of this style. The jacket BCD whilst it may be a compromise (in mose cases) under water does offer better surface comfort in its standard form. Most novices hit the surface and fully inflate, doing that with some back inflate bcd's will put you on your face if you dont know what you are doing, or have your weights incorrectly positoned. Try telling a less than confident begginner that on the surface he only needs to partialy inflate his BCD and see if he does as hes told.

Personally I think a TPII is a good solution for a novice it has flexibility and it also has releases and pull strap adjustments, however a jacket may still be better if they are not so comfortable in the water. The B/P maybe more stable but without releases it less flexible and it does take some setting up.

Back
Top Bottom