Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's good that SCUBedoobedoo (that's a mouthful) is trying to learn about equipment even before certification. This has been a very informative thread, and he started it! I can definitely identify with the enthusiasm of someone getting started and wanting to learn everything :wink:

thanks,
Michael
:cheers:

For a lot of people the TP works, but if you are serious about technical diving, and you are diving aggressively, then honestly it won't cut it. We can argue about Halcyon, OMS etc. all day and get no where, but just look at what the world record holders use, and that should speak for itself. Besides the record holders, those that are the support divers, push divers etc. use the same gear. Do the research and you will find it for yourself, don't take it from anyone (including me) here. Trust the ones that have the real experience and those that have done the real dives.

Backplates don't cut it with single tanks. Go set a record somewhere and tell me about it. Lots of record setting dives have been done with the TP2, just check the Diverite website. How about sidemounting Mr. DIR? How about all sorts of expeditions where the equipment must be kept light because it is as much about caving as it is about cave diving. Its real easy to go stomp on something you don't like. Try something constructive for a change. I'm tired of hearing this same old garbage. Don't you have anything better to do than try and start the BP vs everything else war?

leadweight once bubbled...
Backplates don't cut it with single tanks.

Backplates work great for both singles and doubles.

Backplates don't cut it with single tanks.

Could you explain this a little more. Because I have and use both the Transpak 2 and a BP and halcyon wing set up for singles. And I like the BP and wing while traveling cause it packs a lot smaller then the Transpak. And I like the uncluttered feel of the BP. And haven't been using the Transpak much anymore. And that's with a Single tank.

How about all sorts of expeditions where the equipment must be kept light because it is as much about caving as it is about cave diving.

Well unless I'm mistaken. There is more to a Transpak 2 then there is to a BP and wing.

Like I said, I have and use both. I actually prefer my BP and wing. Some don't. But the two statements you made I'm trying to figure out what you meant. Because in my experience with both. Your statements are misleading and untrue....

Just wondering where you were coming from with the statements. Not trying to argue one is better then the other. Because that's a personel preference.

...Always end up as the same argument between the same peolple.

It is clear that both the TP II and the BP/Wing solution are viable ones. Both can be used for singles and doubles and like everything else in life have their advantages as well as shortcomings. Different people may find different solutions more suitable for their needs.

The bottom line, at least in my mind, is that instead of getting into the same argument every time we should understand that everybody is entitled to his own opinion and that we can only recommend what we think is best.

I do not have a lot of experience with BC's other than diving with different jacket styles, later moving on to a back inflated. I never tried a BP/Wing setup so I can not really hold any substential opinion about it.

I think that back inflation is better for me. I also think that the "cleaner" the BP the better. I also find that the softpack idea makes sense in a lot of ways and this is why I decided to get the TP II.

Is this the only solution? Is it right for every diver? Probably not. I hope it will be right for me. I will be happy to report when I have more dives on it.

In the mean time -- Take it easy.

Ari :)

Mverick once bubbled...

Like I said, I have and use both. I actually prefer my BP and wing. Some don't. But the two statements you made I'm trying to figure out what you meant. Because in my experience with both. Your statements are misleading and untrue....

You are really going over the line here because you are calling me a liar.

Does your experience create some immutable truth that makes my experience misleading and untrue if it is different?

Review my many earlier posts in this forum, you have read them before. Also review posts by Netdoc and Rick Murchison on this same topic.

I have been trying to avoid being critical of BP's to save those who use them from excessive grief. However, the statement that the TP2 does not cut it for technical diving is utter BS.

Also, get a life.

You are really going over the line here because you are calling me a liar....Also, get a life.

He didn't call you a liar. He said that your statements didn't hold true to his experiences. You also said that your experiences didn't hold true to his statements. What does this all mean.....well, everyone has different experiences and in dicussing our different beliefs in a civil manner it allows the people who are asking the questions see the different sides of the story.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom