Travel...airlines...TSA....a rant...bear with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next time a checker arbitrarily tells me to check or surrender a ridiculous item in my carry on luggage (Like toenail clippers! Sheesh!) I will say, "OK" and walk away from the security area. I will then go to a different screening area and try my luck with a different screener, who might be in a better mood. I will also try to get on lines with male screeners, because they tend to be MUCH more friendly to me.

You can't do this at all airports, but many of them have several security entrances that all lead to the same gates.

:bonk: I guess this became a more popular subject with this weeks news. Or I guess it was this week. I had cable TV in Roatan last week, but I didn't bother.

Dealing with these cop wantabes can be disturbing. I'd already cleared security at DFW on the way back home last weekend, but didn't immediately move out, when a screener decided it was time to do a random check. Should have moved on faster. :upset: At least I didn't have to take my deck shoes off but once in several screenings.

You know - I wouldn't mind if this really helped with security. :dunce: I just don't think it helps - even after I pay $10 more per ticket ($20 more on back to back tickets when the two airlines don't have arrangmeents) and go through all this.

raviepoo once bubbled...
Next time a checker arbitrarily tells me to check or surrender a ridiculous item in my carry on luggage (Like toenail clippers! Sheesh!) I will say, "OK" and walk away from the security area. I will then go to a different screening area and try my luck with a different screener, who might be in a better mood.
Works even better if you work for an airline. While hanging out in the charter terminal of Cancun last year I watched as an Italian flight and cabin crew tried to get through security with viscious weapons such as a leatherman utility tool carried by the Captain, and wine bottle openers with both corkscrew and knife for cutting the foil carried by the flight attendants. Lots of commotion, hand-waving and discussion. Clearly, an Italian plane cannot fly without corkscrews.

The Captain finally told the first officer to stay on the outside of security. All of the offending items were taken from the flight attendants and given back to the first officer, who then went back into the terminal. I have no doubt that he either just used a different route to go out to the flight line, or passed them on to some baggage/food service people to bring out to them.

That satisfied everyone.

No surgery yet Don. Finally got the second opinion today. Will see surgeon Monday. Should know something after that. As to back in the water...... not a clue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom