Traveling with a C card facsimile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
If I travel with copies of my C card, do most dive shops or charters accept facsimile copies or do they want the real thing? I'd rather travel with a a few copies instead of risking losing the original.

Dan T

Ide say the real thing. They can always look you up on the internet with proper ID some charge a fee. Copies are smart. Ide carry copies and the real card and leave more copies at home. Call ahead and ask is another option. Anyone can easily forge a picture on a copied piece of paper C-CARD quite easy.

Hi Dan,

I would suggest you travel with it. There will be some places that are hesitant to take it and others that won't allow for it. They can be replaced if they are lost (for a fee of course) Some organizations like PADI allow you to check ceritifcations online or by phone (for dive operations) which will satisfy some. If you progress up the ladder you will end up with many cards. I travel with my highest rating but if I lost that card I coud use my Divemaster, or Master SCUBA Diver card to get fills, get on a dive charter etc. (until my replacement came) Just a thought.

All the best,

Paul

fookisan:
... I'd rather travel with a a few copies instead of risking losing the original...
Uhhh, Dan... do you normally lose things? You must really struggle with your driver's lincense, plane tickets, credit cards, passport...

Seriously, its just so much easier if you have your card with you. If you depend on an unknown operator to double check and verify, its going to come back to annoy you. Often, there's a lot of last minute activity that goes on just before a dive. That early Sunday morning trip, with a last minute boat switch is not the time to rely on somebody several time zones away to answer a faxed query about your cert status.

You might make a copy, keep the copy at home. If you loose a card, you can get a replacement within a few days once you get back home, and your copy will help because you'll have all the needed info. Or, pre-order a replacement card now. Keep one with your home documents, and the 2d in your wallet (or with the missing passport, plane ticket, credit cards, etc...).

Take your card with you. I keep a copy in my log book and at home, just in case. If you're really prone to losing things, invest in a "pre-need" replacement card.

Just go online and order a couple of extra replacement cards so you can have one for the home, one for the car, one for the wallet, etc.....

Better take it with you. I'd hate to get where I'm going and then not be able to dive.

If you are PADI certified, you can buy one of their new "submersible" c-cards, which are designed so that you can easily attach it to your bc, and then always have it with you whenever you dive. I don't know how much they cost, but if you are really concerned about losing your card on a trip, that would be the way to go. Then you'll have one c-card for home, or your wallet, or wherever, and one (the submersible) that is sure to be with you when you want to dive, even if you tend to forget/lose stuff sometimes.

How bout just putting the card in your wallet? Do you lose your wallet often?

I've always traveled with color copies of my C-card. The original is a museum piece and still in great condition. I've never been questioned, but mine is a 1969 L A County paper card and most people these days don't know what they look like anyway. A current PADI card might be received a little different.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom