Trip Report 6/7-6/14 2015 Little Cayman Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tibbetts is a nice wreck to check a box on your list, but I wouldn't willingly miss a dive on the north side of LC to dive the frigate a second time. It is a good trip if you have never seen it, and makes a really nice night dive if you are staying on the Brac, but I wouldn't pay extra to dive it again.

I've done the wreck too many times. It is not my favorite because there are so many great dives to be had on the Brac that the Tibbets stinks in comparison (but of course I love the reef over wrecks almost always). I would not trade a dive on BB or on Jackson's bight or on the north/south/west/east side of the Brac for the wreck, but then I've had plenty of wreck dives here in Michigan and elsewhere in salt.

I've been to LCBR twice and have been to Grand Cayman 10 times. Given my choice now, I would return to Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman. OF is the best operator I've dived with. The diving off the East End (North, East and South) is the best on the island.

The Tibbets wreck is not worth losing a day off Little Cayman, a mediocre wreck, at best. Did it once, would never do it again

I've been to LCBR twice and have been to Grand Cayman 10 times. Given my choice now, I would return to Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman.

That's interesting. I'd like to know more about this. My only 'Cayman' diving has been 2 dives on a cruise ship excursion out of Grand Cayman years ago, so I cannot compare except by what other people report. The impression I've gotten from Scuba Board posts over the years is that:

1.) Grand Cayman has really good diving (north & east; west is worse) & quite a lot for non-divers to do, it's a great (though expensive) compromise vacation when bringing non-divers, or when you want to do a more rounded trip with diving plus other stuff.

2.) Cayman Brac diving is supposed to be a good deal better.

3.) Little Cayman diving is supposed to be a little better than Brac.

Now you post this. Did you find the diving better at GC, or what it something else that drew you?

drrich, I have been to Grand, Brac and LC multiple times each and I agree completely with your assessment.

I think that is the majority opinion as well.

East End GC does have more interesting diving than N and W on GC, but it's hard to beat Bloody Bay and Jackson's Walls on LC.

I don't want to put words in Scubadada's mouth, so don't take this as an answer on his behalf; but what I have seen from a few folks who prefer GC is that they don't like the lack of easily accessible shore diving from the resorts on the Sister Islands, would prefer to do more than 3 dives per day, and prefer more of an air-based unlimited bottom time profile. Also, some folks just don't like not having the ability to go to various restaurants and not having things to do above the water besides sitting on the beach or riding bikes around a small island.

That may be true; but if one is talking about diving only, LC is the winner. Besides there is lot's of shore diving on CB and even LC if that is what you want. I have done some really neat dives at Jackson's from the beach.

Scubadada was talking about East End GC; not much shore diving in that area apart from the long swim out to Babylon if the weather co operates.
Not many restaurant choices either.

LCBR is by some way the best dive resort that I have visited. Very well planned and diver friendly. Although it is essentially an "all inclusive", the food is varied and of excellent quality. In fact, the buffets are virtually 'all you can eat' and there is lots of it! The dive crew were friendly and efficient and the diving, especially along the BBW, world class.

That's interesting. I'd like to know more about this. My only 'Cayman' diving has been 2 dives on a cruise ship excursion out of Grand Cayman years ago, so I cannot compare except by what other people report. The impression I've gotten from Scuba Board posts over the years is that:

1.) Grand Cayman has really good diving (north & east; west is worse) & quite a lot for non-divers to do, it's a great (though expensive) compromise vacation when bringing non-divers, or when you want to do a more rounded trip with diving plus other stuff.

2.) Cayman Brac diving is supposed to be a good deal better.

3.) Little Cayman diving is supposed to be a little better than Brac.

Now you post this. Did you find the diving better at GC, or what it something else that drew you?

Choice of a dive destination and operator is personal. This is what is best for me.

I have been to LCBR twice, last, February 2014. I like LC very much, the walls are amazing, personally, I found the reef fish somewhat sparse. Reef Divers is a very good op, I would like more dives. The AI food service is also very good.

I have been to GC 10 times, including twice to Cobalt Coast/DiveTech and twice to my favorite, Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. I like Cobalt Coast/DiveTech very much. AI food service is excellent though I would recommend a car and we ate out several nights. DiveTech AM dives are loosely limited to an hour, afternoon shore dives at the resort, Lighthouse Point, and Turtle Reef are excellent. The West Bay Express DPV dive from the resort to Lighthouse Point is a blast. The rebreather experience is both humbling and a lot of fun.

Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is my favorite for several reasons. All the units have a full kitchen, I like making many of my meals, especially breakfast and lunch. There is a perfectly fine informal restaurant on the premises and several more within a short drive. For me, the overwhelmingly most important factor is the diving. Ocean Frontiers is probably the best operator I have used. Full valet, they take care of all gear including washing and drying your wetsuit overnight. The only equipment I took with me was my computer. Nitrox is on the boat, they analyze it in front of you before you leave the dock. Dives are not time limited, limited by your gas or NDL. They offer 4 dives/day, 5 including the night dives on Mon and Thurs, latter a UV dive. They have a great 3-tanker on Wed and a wall drift dive on Thurs. OF location give them easy access to North, East, and South sites, something regardless of weather and seas. See the website for a description: Home The dive sites offer quite a bit of variety and I found a significantly greater number and diversity of reef fish over West or Northwest GC or LC. In my visits, I saw more sharks also.

All 3 trips I describe are excellent, I'm glad I've done them all. It doesn't surprise me that others have different favorites, for me its Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
Besides there is lot's of shore diving on CB and even LC if that is what you want. I have done some really neat dives at Jackson's from the beach.

I think the key phrase in my post was "easily accessible". If you want to shore dive from the resorts on either CB or LC, you will either need somebody to give you a ride or will have to rent a car to get to where the best shore diving locations are. Since most folks at the resorts on the Sister Islands don't rent a car for their trip, needing to have one in order to shore dive adds significant expense and complication. Most folks on GC are already going to be renting a car anyway, so needing to use it to shore dive there is no big deal.

I haven't personally dove on GC, but I love LC and keep having a hard time wanting to dive anywhere else when I plan a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom