Trip Report, Blue Angel and Scuba Mau Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another wonderful 10 days in paradise came to an end on April 20th. Actually one of the easiest return flights we have had. 20 minutes early and no waiting at customs and the bags were quickly on the turntable.(In Atlanta)

We began our adventure not quite so lucky with our SpiritAir plane being delayed in Atlanta to the point we missed our connection in FLL, Fla. But they got us on the afternoon flight to Cancun so we ventured onward. Only incident getting from CUN to COZ was the Federalies wanting to inspect our luggage as we were about to board the ferry in Playa. The ride over was smooth and a cervesa was enjoyed.

We were staying at Caribe Blue and gave Jeanie @ CB a call once we realized we would be getting in several hours later than planned. Asked her to rebook us on the afternoon boat the next day so we could sleep in a bit. We headed down to Lapalapita since Rendez Blue was closed when we arrived. We ran into Opal, Mau and Marco from Scuba Mau Cozumel (a new shop located in the same place that Blue Angel started many years ago)

Saturday afternoon (the 12th)we went out with Blue Angel (Jose) and Sunday (the 13th) morning with Pumba. Both wonderful dives. When we awoke on Monday morning the winds were a ripping. This was our first experience with el norte in 4 trips to the island. I believe the ports were closed to the small boats. We got a jeep and along with a Pumba and Tony from BA, secured a cooler and headed off to Chen Rio for most of the day. The cervechie (sp) was great and at chen Rio you can take your own cooler. Once we left there we stopped at the Bob Marley for another round and met up with fellow Caribe Blue'ers Cheryl and Jose. Then we ventured to El Cedral to replenish supplies and find banos. We ended up at Los Otates for dinner that night.

Tuesday morning was still fairly rough so we ventured out to check out the Scuba Mau location. It is underneath the Hog Town Cafe. (Watch your head when you enter) The weather calmed a bit so we decided to do an afternoon dive with Scuba Mau. We enjoyed diving with them so much we finished out the week with them. (they will rinse and store your gear if you want, and have fruit or cookies on the boats) They were great. Did 2 trips with Maurizio and 2 trips with Opal. They worked very hard to find find the best spots with the conditions as they were. The currents were a little fast and the visibility not up to normal Coz standards, but not bad. But we had great dives and a great time. The faster currents were fun. Ended up diving with a couple from Texas one day and then the next day the same couple from Texas plus 2 more of their friends. (Hello to Georgia, Dan, Jena and Jeff(aka Dwight). Saw many turtles, a sailfin blennie, pipefish, seahorse, rays, many large parrot fish and groupers, toadfish. Just to name a few.(I will try to post some pictures later) Actually saw 2 decent size sword fish on one of our safety stops.

As usual, the diving was great and so was the FOOD. To name a few of the places we ate: La Chef, Los Otates, Los Palmas, Ernestos, Villa Blanca Cafe, Parilla Mission, La Conchita, Some Cafe next to bakery on the corner of something and something(great club sandwich), Mescalitos West, Chen Rio, Rendez Blu, Hog Town Cafe {actually Rocky (great waiter at Hog town)was nice enough to come downstairs to serve us as we sat out front of the Scuba Mau shop, chilling and sipping on a cervesa}

Again, another great trip, great food and great diving with Scuba Mau Cozumel and Blue Angel.

Got to start planning the next trip..................

Sounds like fun. Thanks for taking the time to share it here.

Sounds like you had a good time. I'm heading down tomorrow morning... best get back to finishing up the packing.

Just trying to confirm something. Is this the same Opal? I think it's the same location and think it must be Opal that worked for Pelagic Ventures a few trips ago.
7f80ttoGUjIm5BkWTHBWUlogsXPPqQH29A7y_l.jpg

Just trying to confirm something. Is this the same Opal? I think it's the same location and think it must be Opal that worked for Pelagic Ventures a few trips ago.
7f80ttoGUjIm5BkWTHBWUlogsXPPqQH29A7y_l.jpg

It sure is. And she is still smiling:D and energetic as ever.

They seem to be off to a great start with the new shop. PM me if you need more info.

She was always happy & smiling, thats how I remember her so well. She PM'd me so has seen the photo too. I'll stop by next trip to say hello and catch up on several things since I last saw her. Also thanks for the trip report, both here and on TA. Larry.

I'm gonna miss Opal's infectious smile this year at BA, as well as Pumba's sense of humor. I'll have to stop in and say hi when I'm there in June....

Just wanted to say we ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND Scuba Mau to divers who wish to be treated wonderful - yes, Opal is always smiling, helpful and upbeat - and have experienced divemasters who are familiar with all the divesites. We stayed at the Caribe Blu from April 9-16 and dove with Blue Angel part of the trip but finished the week out with Scuba Mau and loved them! We wished we would have dove Scuba Mau all week but plan to be back.

I'm gonna miss Opal's infectious smile this year at BA, as well as Pumba's sense of humor. I'll have to stop in and say hi when I'm there in June....

underachiever:
Saturday afternoon (the 12th)we went out with Blue Angel (Jose) and Sunday (the 13th) morning with Pumba.

So did he move to Scuba Mau or not? If he did, I'll miss him, too. A friend of mine has pictures of him diving Colombia Shallows wearing a dead crab for a hat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom