Trip Report: Shore diving at Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!! Incredible pictures! My husband loves to shore dive and wanted to know how far out you went from shore? Also, I was wondering about the black tip shark (yes...fear of sharks here), how far out were you when you saw him and was it at night or during the day? Thanks so much for the report!! I forwarded to my husband and all the kids. We will be there in mid-June :D

WOW!! Incredible pictures! My husband loves to shore dive and wanted to know how far out you went from shore? Also, I was wondering about the black tip shark (yes...fear of sharks here), how far out were you when you saw him and was it at night or during the day? Thanks so much for the report!! I forwarded to my husband and all the kids. We will be there in mid-June :D
For the shore dives, I doubt we went beyond 200 feet from the shore. The shark was on a morning boat dive at one of the reefs. The DM called it a black-tip, but it may be a reef shark. The pictures are a mix of reef and shore dives.. Sorry if that is confusing.. The video is all shore diving. There really are few sponges and coral on the shore dive, so when you see one of my pictures of awesome colored sponges.. that is taken during a boat dive further south at the reefs. The turtles were on the boat dives as well.
BTW.. a healthy respect of sharks makes sense, but, in general, with reef sharks, it is extremely unlikely they will bother you if you don't bother them.

Thanks for the pics and video.
We will be there in June as well, hope to see your shark and more like him.

Bandmom: Except for one dive in the Key's where they feed the nurse sharks, all of the pictures I have of sharks were shot quickly before they left. YMMV however, but my wife and I consider seeing something like a shark or eagle rays to be a treat.

......but my wife and I consider seeing something like a shark or eagle rays to be a treat.

Oh I know......my husband and son LOVE IT when they see a ray and are SO hoping to see some sharks. I on the other hand have a very healthy respect (FEAR) of them and rest assured....I will be leaving them alone. I think I saw Jaws one too many times :sharkattack:

Thanks for the trip report, pics and videos. The photo of the juvenile French angel fish changing to adult phase is really cool. I have only seen juvenile phase and adult phase, not a combo. What dive site did you see the black tip reef shark? We have only seen nurse sharks, no reef sharks:depressed:, on some of the dive sites in Cozumel.

How full were they when you left? Do you happen to know if they had vacancies for a single (in the next week or so)?

.. What dive site did you see the black tip reef shark? We have only seen nurse sharks, no reef sharks:depressed:, on some of the dive sites in Cozumel.
It was the Punta Sur - Cathedral dive site. It was just criusing, against the current, along the reef.

Frank~
Great pictures. Actually, great doesn't cover it. Amazing pictures. I've logged only 4 dives - and can't wait to continue my education and exploration.
Dan in Minneapolis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom