Trip report : Tawali resort Milne bay PNG March17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Tawali in a nutshell : Lawadi also known as Dinah’s beach provides two or three spots of fantastic muck dive, it’s not far way from the resort and close to another world class dive site called Deacon’s reef, providing stunning views with cathedral light playing on the corals, coming from the canopy filtered sun.

There are also worthly blue water dives such as Barracuda point, a coral covered plateau/shallow pinnacle with a wall where sometimes Hammerheads are seen, or Coral garden a very shallow site with incredible hard corals.

Out from Tawali near and off Milne bay, outer islands and reefs are reached on a tuna trailer revamped as a powerful and comfortable dive boat. Some of the pinnacle like Tania’s are teeming with reef fish and spectacular hard coral coverage, all that in 25 to 40 meters visibilty and 30°C warm waters.

That said other than a couple of whitetips, tunas, trevallies, sometimes a scarce school of cudas or a few spanish mackerels, we wouldn’t spot any biggies and I had the impression it was not the place for sharks or pelagic stuff. That was confirmed by Nozaki and the staff : if pelagics are your thing then head up to Kavieng, Milne bay is the place for outstanding corals, reef fish and lots of macro.

So now let the pictures describe a few of the spots dived.

I’ll start with the dives around Tawali, Barracuda and Coral Garden, then Deacon's. (I'll have a specific mucky part on Lawadi)

My first UW photo ever in PNG, this is Milne bay viz :

View attachment 410510

Typical tubastrea corals and anthias on Barracuda

Fantastic pictures...but not Tubastrea.

but not Tubastrea.
You mean it's not tubastrea sp.coral ? Tubastraea is not only the yellow or orange cup coral.
In this case, I still think it's tubastraea micranthus coral aka "the hard green chainsaw coral".

So when is Rhinopias Aphanes (Lacey Scorpion) season?

And did you have to take Malarone or some other Malaria pills?
It seems Rhinopias Aphanes are coming up from October on when the water is colder.
That said, Port Moresby is supposed to be a better area for rhinopias since water is colder than Milne bay. Currently Loloata resort is closed until end of he year but apparently you may still dive the reefs around POM using a dive center located at Gateway hotel.

And I didn't take any Malarone, I am not saying it's not worth, malaria is frequent in PNG, but personally I prefer using antimosquito spray.
We hardly got bitten by mosquitoes, Tawali Resort regularly sprays the surroundings.and the bungalows have efficient aircon.

Spectacular photography and a well written report. I leave the 27th for BNE/POM, then Lissenung, Spirit of Niugini liveaboard, and ending at Tawali. Thanks for the preview.

Spectacular photography and a well written report. I leave the 27th for BNE/POM, then Lissenung, Spirit of Niugini liveaboard, and ending at Tawali. Thanks for the preview.
Thanks, I am envious,, enjoy your dives :happywave:

Great report Luko! The pics kind of sucked, but the report was well-written and informative.

Shoot I guess I have to go there now....damn...

- Bill
Thanks for your comments... uh...:wink:

Yes you have to go there that's your kind of stuff I guess : warm water, little current, excellent viz, aircon bungalows and lobster on your plate everyday.
Though don't forget to put your glasses to see those marvelous coral spots like my fantastic photos show :p

Pictures and text fill me with longing. Has Tok Pisin taken over from Hiri Motu in Milne Bay Province now? And um, how expensive is a week of diving and lodging?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom