Tropical Storm Paloma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm supposed to be arriving on GC on 12/6, then LC on 12/12.... I have to make the call now if I want to delay the trip. What do you guys think, should I delay it due to the damage to the islands (esp. LC)?

I have been told that Cayman Brac Reef resort has lost the front of the resort and most of the other buildings. All of the staff are fine and being evacuated.

Thank gosh the people are okay. Any word on Little Cayman? We were set to visit Southern Cross Club, which I believe took quite a hit from Gustav earlier this year.

This is on storm carib........

Brac Reef is a total loss. What is still standing will have to be torn
down.The Lobby, office, gift shop, spa, bar, and restaurant are all
completely demolished. They lost the roof off of the top floor's rooms and
have major damage to the bottom floor's rooms. The staff housing has roof
damage but isn't too bad off.

The 30 tourists who stayed at the hotel are all fine the other 10 who went
to a shelter are also safe. If you could post this on stormcarib for their
families that would be great..They are planning to fly them out this
afternoon as long as they can get the plane in.

I also heard from Perry McLaughlin that all 200 people who stayed on
Little Cayman are safe. There is a lot of damage to the roads but it looks
like they got lucky as far as major damage goes.

We are flying into Grand Cayman on Tuesday and were going to dive on the East end. Does anyone know what shape things are there and what the diving might be like? Any updates are appreciated.

To echo what baitbailer stated, brac reef resort and divers will have to shut down for a period of time for reconstruction. I was able to talk to my daughter during the entire storm and i'm just grateful that everyone on the island came through alive. The dive staff will be leaving after a few days of cleanup and organization for reconstruction. If you had ant plans for going to Brac in the next few months then i'm sorry to say that you will have to fall back to plan B. The wife and I were going to spend Christmas on the Brac with our daughter ourselves. But at any rate looks like we'll have her here with us for a while.

This was one scary weekend.
God help those that now face the long road back with rebuilding.

funky:

No one knows the Little Cayman answer right now.

They are stilll assessing the damage at this point.

The biggest issue is power. I understand the power plant took a hit, which will delay the return of power.

The upside is there are currently guests on LC and they are trying to finish out their trips, so it seems the southside operations came through intact. I understand that Southern Cross removed the planking on their dock so that it came through intact.

Time will tell, but it is too soon to call on LC.

Thank gosh the people are okay. Any word on Little Cayman? We were set to visit Southern Cross Club, which I believe took quite a hit from Gustav earlier this year.

Storm Carib is always a good source for reports leading up to, during and after major storms Cayman Islands - Local Reports (Caribbean Hurricane Network) By reports in from Little Cayman it sounds like Southern Cross did fine and did Grand Cayman. The Brac seems to have taken the brunt of Paloma.

Also check for updates on Cayman Net News www.caymannetnews.com

The power generation equipment at the power plant in Little Cayman took a hit. That could delay return of electric power for some time. Southern Cross Club pulled through quite well and will be ready to accept guests once electric power is restored. I have not heard specific comments about LCBR or Pirate's Point.

Cayman Brac will have quite a lot more rebuilding to do. Damage was much more severe there and options for tourist accomodation may be limited in the short term. Major damage to many buildings and infrastructure similar to what GC had after Hurricane Ivan.

After Ivan, cruise ship visitation resumed in about six weeks (I think) and stay over tourism a bit later than that.

Since GC was essentially spared, the country's resources can be focused on aiding the Sister Islands. Today they were loading some supplies on the Cayman Agressor and one of the large cruise ship tender boats. They should make it up to Brac by tomorrow with early essential supplies.

GC's power company (CUC) is offering assitance to the power utility (CBP&L) to assess and repair damage. Telecommunications providers are making assessment for return of landline and internet service. Cell service is apparently operational on both CB and LC.

Cayman Airways will be providing cargo transport for free from GC to the Sisters for the immediate future and will evacuate residents of those islands back to GC at no charge. Sometimes having a national flag carrier can be really nice.

Back
Top Bottom