Trouble with dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont really agree with what they are doing! I am an instructor and I dive with what I want to Dive with (DIR type)... I gave my shop the reasons for doing so and they picked up the products I was diving with... It's not a big deal for them to open an account, they don't even have to stock the gear, it can always be spiecal ordered!

However, you said you are wanting to be an instructor? If so (and I dont know why you would though) are you going to work for that shop? SSI requires that you work out of an SSI shop in order to instruct.

Therefore you might want to think about buying the equipment there if they are unwilling to pick up the product line you dive with. You should get things for cost anyways, its pritty standard. Because you will sell more equipment to you students---They see what you are wearing and want it.--- You want them to have a full system cause if they dont the chances of them dropping out after you working your as* off teaching them (you'll see soon) are very high! Which make you feel like crap!

Lead_carrier:
You're only eligible for KEYMAN if the shop owner wants to put you on it. Not all shops do.

I know this. I used to be the store manager for a dive shop near Boston, and I am an Instructor. When we trained Divecons, we told them about our policy of the DC's, and Instructors teaching "uniform" (meaning they would have to use the gear we sold while they were teaching or assisting with one of our classes). However, we did NOT require the DC students to purchase this gear before the class began. Moreover, once they are Divecon's they would be eligible for the keyman program or at least a substantial discount over what we normally sold things for. Some people take the DC class just for the knowledge, and may never teach. I think that this store's policy boils down to extortion, they just want to make a sale (they think they have you over the fire), and not only would I report them to SSI, but also to the state AG's office.

Makes one wonder why you would want to become an SSI Instructor (unless you are the owner of the shop)...

JPBECK:
I dont really agree with what they are doing! I am an instructor and I dive with what I want to Dive with (DIR type)... I gave my shop the reasons for doing so and they picked up the products I was diving with... It's not a big deal for them to open an account, they don't even have to stock the gear, it can always be spiecal ordered!

However, you said you are wanting to be an instructor? If so (and I dont know why you would though) are you going to work for that shop? SSI requires that you work out of an SSI shop in order to instruct.

Therefore you might want to think about buying the equipment there if they are unwilling to pick up the product line you dive with. You should get things for cost anyways, its pritty standard. Because you will sell more equipment to you students---They see what you are wearing and want it.--- You want them to have a full system cause if they dont the chances of them dropping out after you working your as* off teaching them (you'll see soon) are very high! Which make you feel like crap!

Hey, noticed on the email reply info that you're from Sacromento - I was born there. Are the dive ops easy to deal with in your area? Looking forward to visiting that area for diving. 300 ft - COOL!

Thanks everyone for the consensus of opinions. I sent a certified letter requesting my $$$ back this morning. I'm afraid that even if I continued with these classes, I would be froze out of the shop using me in the future, so I'd have a useless certification. I'll post you on how it turns out. It's the only SSI game in town, so I guess I'll just continue my PADI courses - already have several certs with them anyway. The PADI shop owner is ready to welcome me and anyone else who loves diving without all the BS that can accompany it all too often. Honest and upfront - what great qualities to possess. Sorry SSI - no other shops within a few hundred miles.

I JUST LOVE BLOWING BUBBLES!! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE HARD?

So at the end of the thread about having trouble with the dive shop from last month, I posted that I had mailed a certified letter about a week ago to the shop requesting a full refund including cost of manuels. (For those unfamiliar with the situation, I had paid for SSI Dive Con classes 7 months ago and was just now notified recently that I would have to purchase the shop gear in order to go forward with my classes - which I refused to do since I have 4 sets of gear already and wasn't told that when they accepted my $500+ ...to make a long story short.) See previous thread post for more info.

I requested the full refund within 10 days of receipt of the cert. letter or I would be forced to pursue it legally. Low and behold, I received a check in the mail today for the full amount - including the manuels, which I will drop off to them in the morning. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the $$. I respect their decision to do the right thing without dragging it out. I am planning to leave the situation amicably, but am also through using that dive shop for anything else - career or recreational wise included.

I'm sure they are probably busy trashing me to others who frequent the shop as is their MO, but those who know the shop, the owners, and me will know the real story. I'm not concerned with that. Now I can take my refunded money and pursue my continuing education with diving in another arena and another shop. Thanks to all that posted their opinions!

Glad it worked out for you!

I would ad that I wouldn't even go into drop off the books, send someone or mail them, avoid the confrontation-JMHO-M

that is great news. i'm very glad it all worked out for you. good luck with the next shop you go to, LOL they almost have to be better than that one.

steve

Back
Top Bottom