Trouble with dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac:
Heck! Call your local news channel and ask for the call for action desk. See how the owner likes the bad press all over TV. Bet his customers and his mind will change!!

Hallmac

Yeah, that's a good one too, and it can be EXTREMELY effective.

Just be sure you never want to do anything with them again, 'cause you'll probably be arrested if you show up at their door for trespassing after doing that :D

Genesis:
Yeah, that's a good one too, and it can be EXTREMELY effective.

Just be sure you never want to do anything with them again, 'cause you'll probably be arrested if you show up at their door for trespassing after doing that :D

Great thoughts! I'm pretty sure I'm done with that shop - why continue to do business with an op like that. I just want my $$ back by now. I really don't think I have to go to any extra extent to get the word out about them. It seems they do that pretty well on their own. The way you treat your patrons tends to come back to haunt you. :bounce:

hallmac you are diabolical... I kinda like that! :D

rkr3000:
Great thoughts! I'm pretty sure I'm done with that shop - why continue to do business with an op like that. I just want my $$ back by now. I really don't think I have to go to any extra extent to get the word out about them. It seems they do that pretty well on their own. The way you treat your patrons tends to come back to haunt you. :bounce:

My friend used it once when an Auto shop con him for $169 used auto part. The court rule in his favor. The auto shop had to pay $169, + $15 filing fee plus lost wages for showing up at court. Total came to almost $300. The shop was ordered to pay him within certain time period. When he show up at the end of the time period to collect, the shop owner refused to pay him. He called police and wait outside the shop, 20min later, 2 police arrived and the owner either pay or go to police station. He got his money. From what he told me, a refusal to abide to court judgement is a crime, and the police will help.

Good Luck.

I don't usually get involved on this type of discussion, but after working retail (not a dive shop) there is a few things that you may wish to consider. I think you deserve a refund, however, the sticking point may be the cost of the written materials. I have no idea of the value of these, but they might be deducted from the refund. Do I like it, and do I think that it's fair? No, but the store will view it that you have had them for some time, that part sucks.

On the other hand, stores HATE bad press. My local newpaper, radio stations and television stations all have consumer advocate reporters, and they all love to brag about successes. I think I would contact everyone I could on this matter. The advice about the time frame and the phone calls and documentation is critical to win these advocates to your side. What's great about this is that ITS FREE.

Along with contacting the BBB you may want to put pressure through other means. Is the store owner a religious man? Talk to his pastor. Rotary member, Lion, or BOE? That looks good on his membership. The Chamber of Commerce also is another place to put pressure. It is truly amazing the decals store owners will put in their business windows to help you find out who to contact.

Best of Luck, & good diving

--tom--

Get your cash back, and dump them like a hot potato!

rkr3000,

Too bad, sorry to hear what that LDS is doing. How many dive shops are thre in Abilene? Is it the only SSI? As has been suggested earlier in this thread, I would already be talking with another dive shop/agency about career advancement options.

I think it could be difficult to go forward with these people that are willing to hold you hostage over equipment purchases.

You state you are going to get your instructors. Is it your intention to continue to work through this particular dive Op?

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

Also, being here in Houston, I'm curious....where do ya'll divearound Abilene?

Regards,

LUBOLD8431:
Many Dive shops want their Divecons and Instructors to use the gear they sell while teaching classes, not taking them. Also, I think its ridiculous that they are REQUIRING you to buy the gear BEFORE you take the class because AFTER you become a Divecon, you would be eligible for the KEYMAN program, and you should be allowed to purchase gear needed for teaching in their shop thru the keyman program (getting a substantial discount on retail price, around 50% off).

Please post a follow up...

You're only eligible for KEYMAN if the shop owner wants to put you on it. Not all shops do. I agree with everyone else, get a refund and find someplace else. I ran into a similar situation in that the shop I had planned to do DiveCon through required me to work in their shop for FREE until I sold a certain amount of gear, under the pretense that it was learning shop operations. I was already employed by a different shop and a certified gas blender, equipment tech, and tank inspector. I found me another shop also.

If you do report this to SSI, I'd be interested in finding out any results. I don't think they will do squat myself, most agencies don't regulate down that far, or are afraid to try.

Cudabait:
rkr3000,

Too bad, sorry to hear what that LDS is doing. How many dive shops are thre in Abilene? Is it the only SSI? As has been suggested earlier in this thread, I would already be talking with another dive shop/agency about career advancement options.

I think it could be difficult to go forward with these people that are willing to hold you hostage over equipment purchases.

You state you are going to get your instructors. Is it your intention to continue to work through this particular dive Op?

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

Also, being here in Houston, I'm curious....where do ya'll divearound Abilene?

Regards,
Here in Abilene, there is only 1 PADI dive shop and 1 SSI shop. We dive at a missle silo that is fairly close and 130ft. deep. It's a cold dive, at around 60-65?. Lake Allen Henry is a good lake dive with visability at 10-15 feet but is boat accessible only. Lake Possum Kingdom to the north is a good, large lake with dive shop on the shore. There is also Lake Cisco, a small lake with little visability, but close to here. We also take trips to Austin and Salomon Springs for a weekend for diving.

consider filing a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General. One of our clients (not an LDS) is a target for these type of complaints and those that end up in small claims court usually have a more favorable result for the plaintiff if they've been filed with the AG before the lawsuit.

Also, in one word, EXTORSION!

The FBI and local law enforcement might not wish to get involved mainly due to the amount of money in question, but a phone call would never hurt. You might want to also notify the Federal Trade Comission; they handle UCC matters such as that one. By all means, notify SSI.

Semper Safe,

Rick

Back
Top Bottom