Trying to decide on my first UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Battery life is an issue in all cameras, but buy an extra, and you won't have a problem! The older 300, 310, did but the D600 is fine! I also have a 5050! Great camera! Also you might buy used on ebay? Buy old tech is good for your first. But still have to go with the RM for you!

I heard somewhere that the Sealife cameras have really bad battery life. Does anyone know if that's true? Or how it compares with the Canon?

I had heard the same also, was diving in Little Cayman this past summer & one guy had one & said that ie his batteries were not lasting a full dive.......I simply just have 4 rechargable batteries, keep 2 in the camera & the other 2 charged..@ the end of dive #2, I switch batteries & recharge the 2 I just took out---- in other words, 2(fully charged) batteries last for 2 dives.....On the amount, see my post to you on another thread, you can buy the A570 & a Canon UW housing for under $300 US(shipped & no tax).......good luck, either get the 570 or 720 IMO.....

I heard somewhere that the Sealife cameras have really bad battery life. Does anyone know if that's true? Or how it compares with the Canon?

Sealife cameras are great, but yes the batteries do run down. Take a spare and change it between dives. Don't bother learning that the hard way, I've already done that for you. But really, those are great cameras and worth the battery situation. Those cameras are made for underwater use first and topside second. Loved my DC600 Elite Set until I lost it. Don't ask. That's on another post.

I have an A570is and 2600 mAh Energizer batteries. Very long lasting. I leave the camera on constantly during each dive and the batteries last 2 consecutive dives with no problem (the only time I have had a problem was when I forgot to turn off the camera between dives). Usually, the camera is on for about 40-50 min per dive. The mAh in readily available AA batteries is going up steadily. I know there are now multiple brands at 2700 mAh. The stronger the better, as the time between shots is dependent on the total juice remaining.

When I decided I wanted to take pictures, I asked myself do I want great pictures or stunning pictures. I researched and read SB threads, and decided on a DSLR. I have no pryor photo experience, but I am very glad I went the way of the DSLR. I have taken some good pictures with my camera, and I know I will get stunning pic's after I learn more about my camera and the do's and don'ts of U/W photography.

Just get a camera and have fun.

My vote would be with the Canon A series.

My vote would not be the Sealife range. There are those that like them, but I'm not in that camp. I see many different cameras come through and these just don't give the quality of some of the other options imho.

Bang for the buck, Canon A series. Fuji also makes a couple of nice units, though they are a little older now (still very good) - 900 and 810. I personally didn't like these two models, but they do produce nice results and are nice set-ups. If you aren't interested in manual controls, Fuji 30 is a great little unit (if you can find one). I'd still like one for topside (NOT for uw, though).

For me, a camera has to rock both topside and underwater. In a compact, it has to be something that I will throw in a backpack or grab on the way out the door somewhere. I want to USE my gear. No reason a camera that works great underwater shouldn't meet those topside needs, too.

OK mate. You say you don't fancy the Sealife...but you didn't tell us why. I'm interested because I'm trying to decide on a new camera and strobe myself.

Hmm, I thought the "they don't produce the same quality results" would help :wink:

I also think their battery life can be bad and frustrating, they are clunkier than "land cameras" for use on land (where most ppl use a camera more), they tend to be slower to focus and write the image than some other options and when I view the results after a dive, the images from Canon and Oly consistently blow them out of the water, so to speak. The Fujis produce nice images, too.

YMMV

OK mate. You say you don't fancy the Sealife...but you didn't tell us why. I'm interested because I'm trying to decide on a new camera and strobe myself.

Wayne, trust me, alcina is the boss-lady on this subject.....Personally, when she speaks, I listen ie she knows what she's talking 'bout.......(click the links in her sig)......

Just wanted to give an update and say that I decided on the Canon A570IS. I really really love it. I was in Thailand when I used it for the first time and it was amazing. I didn't have an external flash. My pictures came out so well! Everyone loved the pictures that I took. I'm really happy I decided on that camera. It was very inexpensive and so easy to use. I honestly can't believe how good the pictures came out. My expectations were very low since I had never used an underwater camera and I was blown away.

Here are a few:

asia.jpg

asia_2_.jpg

asia_4_.jpg

asia_3_.jpg

I posted a whole bunch of the other ones online. All of the pictures are from my trip to the Similan Islands at the end of April, which I just wrote a trip report about in a different post.

Click here to see all of the pictures.

Enjoy and thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice earlier in the year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom