Trying to select dive computer Mares vs. Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both. Personally, prefer the more conservative Suunto. Both are fine rigs. It comes down to personal choice.

Linda Sue:
I am trying to decide on a dive computer. I currently have a wrist computer and I really like it but it is only for air. I am looking at a Mares Nemo and a Suunto. The Mares is a little cheaper. I have about 80 dives, live in Florida and try to dive as much as I can (but not in the winter - the water is still too cold for me!! ). Anyway I wanted to spend about $500 and definitely want the nitrox calculations. Any reports on the differences on the 2 computers

I have a Mares. I think the Suunto is easyer to use. Ease of use maters. I bought the Mares wrist computer because of one silly feature that matters to me: It has a full-time backlight that does not go off automatically. I do a lot of night dives, maybe 50 per year so I like the backlight. One other nice feature. It takes AAA batteries and they can be changed out with no tools in a couple seconds.

That said ease of use maters. the Mares menu system is horrible and non-intuitive. At least to me it is. Made perfect logic to someone at the Mares factory I'm sure. You can download and read both user manuals. Buy the computer that has a manual you can understand in one reading. Unless you want a good backlight with AAA batts like I did.

What's this about cold water in Florida? No way. What next? complain the the viz is "only in the two digit range"?

I also chose the Vyper (the Gekko didng have a few modes I wanted, along with a backlight and PC dive log downloading capability - though i've heard some here say it's possible with the Gekko).

Another good point about the Gekko and Vyper is they can used in either a wrist or console boot - you can by both boots and move the computer back and forth between them. This allows the computer to be moved to a backup in a console very easily, keeping it in active service longer than those that cant.

-----

Mike.

I have and really like the Suunto Mosquito. It is a watch sized/style computer it works well and allows me to keep manual guages in my console for those times when I have to trade regs with a buddy whose comuter died and they have no depth guage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom