Two Day Certification Course (PADI) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see how anyone could seriously believe that in addition to everything that is thrown at you during OW classes, that 2 days allows for sufficient time to build a team.

You can't build a team with most divers in any event!

Why? They don't dive with the same person every time they go out.

A TEAM is not just a agglomeration of people who have decided to do something a particular way. Indeed, a team takes weeks or even MONTHS to build.

Go ask anyone who is on a real team.

ANYONE who gets on a boat and goes diving is not a "team" diver. It is simply impossible. Now if you dive with the same person all the time (e.g. you and your spouse), then yes, you can be a team in your diving, but for the VAST majority of people who dive this is simply not reality.

Most of us who dive have various people who we dive with. This is why the agencies call this "buddy" diving, rather than "team" diving - they are being honest about the differences. Your buddy, really, is your redundant source of gas more than anything else.

True "team" diving cannot be taught; it can be learned, but not taught. But doing that requires grossly limiting those who you dive with, and the number of dives that you do.

Most of us simply won't play in that fashion underwater, nor is there any particularly good reason to do so.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

For 9 dives, you should consider offering an Advanced Open Water certification as a combined OW-AOW program. In fact, you could even throw in a Nitrox rating with it as well, if as I suspect, you are also teaching the use of EAN32.

Karl,

With all due respect, that is the exact last thing we would do.. Our idea is to change the way diving is presented to diver's, we aren't about conforming to a system that most of us have lost faith in. The entire idea behind GUE is to do things differently, and hopefully better, but the last thing we want to do is come out with a bunch of specialties..

It seems you missed the entire piont behind GUE..

Later

Mike,

I want GUE to be successful. To be successful, you need to be competitive with PADI and SSI. Since they both offer AOW cards, GUE needs to offer one too.

The GUE AOW+Nitrox card can be the first card that a new GUE diver under the GUE OW course receives.

You must be competitive.

Tell JJ that I said hello. I hope things are well with him and with his excellent company. I look forward to another book from him, in hardcopy, at the tech stores. He writes well.

/s/ Karl

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

I want GUE to be successful. To be successful, you need to be competitive with PADI and SSI. Since they both offer AOW cards, GUE needs to offer one too.

<snip>

You must be competitive.

You just don't get it, do you Karl?

Why don't you give Ferrari call and see if they would like your help. They really aren't doing a good job competing with Honda, you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom