Tying on Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This site http://www.mindspring.com/~toddleonard/caverig/howknot.html shows 2 methods of doing it. The first, and best, is to tie them on with cave line.

The other method shown is the breakaway o-ring method, really only needed for rebreather bailouts.

in my opinion, and the way I do it, the best method is to tie them on with nylon cave line. This is better because it won't break, is resistant to twisting and abrasion (within reason) and is resistant to sun and salt.

Tom

Good picture. I do it exactly like that
the light and the reg as in the pictures

I agree this is the best way.

where do you atach you pressure gauge and how

I agree with using braided nylon line to tie stuff to snaps. You never know when something will get caught . If it is tied on with organic material, you can alwaysut it.

Robert:doctor:

AquaTec once bubbled...
Good picture. I do it exactly like that
the light and the reg as in the pictures

I agree this is the best way.

where do you atach you pressure gauge and how

Everything of mine that has a boltsnap is attached to it this way. My SPG has a boltsnap tied on to it (at the swivel) and I clip it to my left side d-ring. It's very easy to get, only a slight pain when wearing 2 deco bottles. I've tried attaching it to my front crotch ring but didn't care for that.

Have considered trying it on my left chest ring but that area is already very busy with backup light and deco bottle(s).

Tom

You do know the pictures you posted show two methods of attaching a bolt snap.

one - tied on
two - o-ring style

as for my pressure gauge I attach it to my low pressure inflater hose, which is then cliped to my chest ring just below my drysuit inflator sort of around my sternium.

It seems to work pretty good, I have atached it to my left waist clip as well but my reels are attached there and my tanks are hanging there as well so it is a little busy for me.

part of the reason may also be that i have slightly changed the way i dive since diving the VR3 so I monitor my gas a little more often now

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
I don't use a zip tie at all. I wrap the o-ring around the snap and then put the ends of the o-ring around the hose.
I just like the ease of changing or replacing o-rings without having to undo the SPG or second stage.... if you wrap the o-ring around the hose then you can attach it to the bolt snap with a zip tie. I just went out and took this picture and changed the o-ring at the same time because the old one broke! :D

good point PUG

does anybody have any other ways of doing it?

I think that everybody agrees on this one. small baby steps are good.

Progression.

1. What about the location of the snap on the hoses. How close to the gauge, reg etc.

2. Is the material and style of snap important, and why.

I know most of these issues have been covered in various posts, but its nice to have it all rolled up.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Progression.

1. What about the location of the snap on the hoses. How close to the gauge, reg etc.

I put them right by the reg

[/QUOTE][/B]2. Is the material and style of snap important, and why.[/B][/QUOTE]

I go back and forth between stainless steel and brass, can't make up my mind. I am with brass right now.

[/QUOTE][/B]I know most of these issues have been covered in various posts, but its nice to have it all rolled up. [/B][/QUOTE]

everything here has been covered before, it all gets recycled. but remember along with skills knowledge is perishable

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom