Types of drygloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have been told that using the ones with ring always ends up leaking, is that true?
Eventually the O rings need replacing. They can break down a bit over time and pinch and leak. But I'm talking a couple of years and/or several hundred dives. Those SiTech rings are one of the lesser maintenance parts of my kit. I put just the tiniest bit of silicone on the O rings (none of that nasty licking maneuver) about once every six months, and that makes the rings go on and off easier.

The gloves themselves can develop leeks. I find pinhole leeks by filling the gloves with water and looking for the leek. The hole is easily repaired with a spot of Aqua Seal.

I carry extra gloves and liners to every dive. I also use two different sizes of gloves depending on the season and the thickness of the liners, which I change in the winter. I can swap the gloves in the rings in about 30 seconds per glove.

There are different colors of gloves around, including black. But the blue color is very easy to see by the buddy for hand signals.

I have the OS Systems Dry Gloves set. My gloves have insulation "built in" so I don't wear liners, like is shown in the picture below. I've done about 30 dives without a single drop of water. I like them so much that I dove them last week at Catalina when the water was tolerably warm enough to not wear a hood. I like that my hands stay dry and don't get pruney. The dexterity is good enough for my Ikelite D80 housing with its big buttons, but not good enough for a DSC600 housings with small and flat buttons that are tightly together.

David

01.jpg

Why is the drygloves i know (perhaps i know just little) is kind of fatty especially the finger causing less dexterity. doesn't anyone come up with noeprene, probably crushed, dryglove similar to the drysuit version?

thx for your inputs

They make neoprene drygloves as well. Neoprene gloves can be adapted to most rings, but the rubber gloves seem to be more popular. As stated above, the blue gloves make it very easy to see hand signals. If you were using black gloves, how could your buddy see you give him a signal like this in front of your black hood.:lotsalove::rofl3:
Joe

I use the SI Tech gloves and have not had any leak problems with the rings. Blue gloves and liners. I even put my hand in the 35 degree water with just the liner on accident, rung it out and dove with it and stayed reasonably warm.

They make neoprene drygloves as well. Neoprene gloves can be adapted to most rings, but the rubber gloves seem to be more popular. As stated above, the blue gloves make it very easy to see hand signals. If you were using black gloves, how could your buddy see you give him a signal like this in front of your black hood.:lotsalove::rofl3:
Joe

Thx 4 d info,

where can i find this neoprene dryglove?

i have been told that using the ones with ring always ends up leaking, is that true?

Not here. Had 100% of dives with my northern diver ring system dry.
That compared to 100% of dives with the latex seal things having at least one hand wet.

Why is the drygloves i know (perhaps i know just little) is kind of fatty especially the finger causing less dexterity. doesn't anyone come up with noeprene, probably crushed, dryglove similar to the drysuit version?

The "fatty" fingers of the Atlas 495 blue vinyl gloves (aka Showa) that came with my SI TECH dryglove ring system have a "roomy" fit, but I like 'em because they're not constricting and therefore much warmer.

Despite the extra material of glove and liner, dexterity is still better than 7mm neoprene wet gloves. I find it very easy to work all my small camera buttons, untie knots, etc., at least as easy as with 5mm neoprene gloves. My dexterity is good even when wearing two sets of liners in the winter. Then, it's about equal to 7mm.

However, if one really wants a closer fit and super dexterity (at the expense of less warmth), one can switch to the Atlas 660 vinyl gloves with "thinner" fingers for a closer fit. Used with light liners, one will have the same dexterity as when using 2 or 3mm neoprene, IMO.

The 660's can be purchased for under $5 (USD) per pair. My lighter weight liners cost me $1.12 a pair.

I use them for water temps above 70F (about 20C).

Neoprene resists puncture better, but I've done hundreds of dives with the vinyl gloves and only had one small pinhole leak.

They have my vote, that's for sure! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
I agree with Dave.
They took me a little bit of time getting used to

dave4860: Drygloves for temps above 70? If the water here was that warm, I'd go bare handed! Maybe I'll look for some less bulky drygloves and try those out. I do need to figure out where my leak is coming from, but neoprene is fine with me now.

Back
Top Bottom