Una Una and Togeans Vs Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

French journalist/diver article on Triton Bay Divers if you can read french or accept autotranslation in english (click english button in the menu).
You can also browse her other divetrips once you're there, it's quite complete on Indonesia.

As for someone living in the EU asking, service charge is mandatory for hospitality businesses in Indo, 21% is often charged in Indonesia for hotels : (11% kabupaten hotel tax + 10% service charge ) service may vary from 5% to 10% (likewise in many countries of the EU charging service in their bills, Belgium for instance).
Therefore you'd normally needn't tip, but then it's up to you.
Granted, I have not been to Raja/Triton Bay, but been to plenty of other places in Indonesia and this is first time I hear about service charge being mandatory, at least I certainly did not notice. But perhaps I hang out around more peasant places. Or maybe its also a regional/regency thing.
Interestingly Trip Advisor calls it "the other 11% is a legally unenforceable service charge". And 10% is the "Hotel and Restaurant", which is actually mandatory, but in turn VAT does not apply at all.

But in this case this answers my question, hidden service charge really. And this is curious, since Indonesia regulations on service charge stipulate that 95% of it needs to be distributed to the employees...so yeah, cynical me want to see that one happening.

As for service charge in Belgium I have no clue (don't speak a word of the lingo) but my impression was always that it is up to the establishment to decide whether to charge such or not. Certainly this used to be a case in UK. And such charge was always optional (as in could have been refused by the customer if you want to make a lovely scene:p )

Anyways, all I wanted to have is some clarity. If there is a service charge, fine, but make it clear, don't hide it under taxes and then list gratuity under "not included".

Granted, I have not been to Raja/Triton Bay, but been to plenty of other places in Indonesia and this is first time I hear about service charge being mandatory, at least I certainly did not notice.
I guess you've been to Bali for instance.
Service charge is mandatory for tourism businesses, it's the rate that can be variable.

As for service charge in Belgium I have no clue (don't speak a word of the lingo) but my impression was always that it is up to the establishment to decide whether to charge such or not.
Since your location is Belgium on your profile, I was assuming that you'd know about Belgium charging habits. As many of the EU countries, restaurant do charge a service charge in between 10-15% likewise France (where I live as stated on my profile). Tipping etiquette for Belgium

If there is a service charge, fine, but make it clear, don't hide it under taxes and then list gratuity under "not included".
Well... Including a service charge doesn't prevent you from tipping on top as well (refer to EU countries such as France) and gratuities are not mandatory AFAIK.

Sorry, @marcak I didn't mean to derail the original thread but thought it was a good opportunity to ask someone a quick question who was comparing RA to TB actively. :) I appreciate the replies and if anyone is inclined, I have a separate thread talking about how long to dive TB for that would welcome this continued discussion. (I'm at the edge of my seat!) Thank you

Sorry, @marcak I didn't mean to derail the original thread but thought it was a good opportunity to ask someone a quick question who was comparing RA to TB actively. :) I appreciate the replies and if anyone is inclined, I have a separate thread talking about how long to dive TB for that would welcome this continued discussion. (I'm at the edge of my seat!) Thank you

The answer was posted by the co-founder of TBD, Lisa English in this video, below. She mentions what you see in RA, you can see in TB in more compact area (within 30 minute boat ride, with most sites within average around 10 minute ride from TBD). She also mentions of having lots of Black Coral bushes with sweetlips hanging around the bushes. You get TB to yourself as TBD is the only resort there. At the time of the interview, there were only 6 bungalows.

Also, there are fisherman Bagans to visit, like in Cendrawasih Bay or Sangalaki or Sumbawa (I have been diving underneath of Bagans in those 3 places) where several Whalesharks sucking the fisherman net full of anchovies, underneath the Bagan). I haven’t seen any Bagans or Whalesharks in RA in 9 trips I’ve been there.

We had whalesharks and dolphins at the same time under the bagan while in TB, but unfortunately on that trip we also had dark green water with rough conditions at the surface so it was an amazing experience that brought tears to our eyes but it also made for terrible pics and video... and a few sea sick people! It was still well worth it! But for blue water and amazing whaleshark encounters you can't beat Cenderawasih Bay.

Reactions: Dan
We had whalesharks and dolphins at the same time under the bagan while in TB, but unfortunately on that trip we also had dark green water with rough conditions at the surface so it was an amazing experience that brought tears to our eyes but it also made for terrible pics and video... and a few sea sick people! It was still well worth it! But for blue water and amazing whaleshark encounters you can't beat Cenderawasih Bay.

When I was in Cendrawasih Bay, there were 3 Whalesharks near the Bagan.

BDF602A2-67EE-4A6C-B4C7-AB1E6F124640.jpeg

In Teluk Saleh, Sumbawa, the water was also very clear, as you see, below.

19E32D44-64D9-44AD-A5E2-E9A15AB9459B.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom