uncertified divers in the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends. If the friend just got certified a few weeks ago and saw how easy it is so they take another buddy out, that can be very dangerous. If it is a person that has been diving the area quite often for 20 years then they'd probably give a better education than some dive shops.

Not having a card doesn't necessarily mean not having training.

For all we know, the 'friend' could be an ex dive instructor, or just a diver with enough experience to provide decent training (not hard compared to what's required for basic OW certification).

Not that I would bet on it. And lawyers would have a field day anyway if anything happened.

Does it really matter? I am sure there as many "certified" divers who are clueless as well, lol... It's just a short course to get certified... if she's got the hands on experience, all she's missing is the reading, which of course is important...but....

Was 'her' naturally blonde or drug store bought.....

You'll be reading about 'her' in the paper ---one day--- on the Obit. page....

Last edited:
Not all that uncommon in the past. It is a little tougher to get air fills or rent gear these days but no one is guarding the ocean, checking for cert cards.

Should they get certified? If they don't know the risks, physics and other basic rules of diving, sure. That said, I know a couple of old farts that dive all the time and have been diving for 40 years without certs. Should they take a class? Well, let's just say, you try and tell them.

Generally, classes from a good instructor will improve a new divers chances of enjoying the sport for a lifetime.

A drivers license informs all who carry and view it that "You were told before you participated the right and wrong, the safe and unsafe practices." It is the same with the "C" card, it tells fellow divers you are informed, it does not mean mistakes can't happen, but it gives your dive buddy some idea you know the rules and practices of diving safely, not just how to dive. Ignorance is a terrible thing. A professionally trained and certified instructor should be the gateway to this wonderful sport.

I think it depends on the diver, and what sort of "training" they received (even if it wasn't formal via an agency). From what I hear, it's quite common in Hawaii for people to learn to dive through family/friends, and never bother paying the cost for certification. Plus, some military folk learn during their service, but it doesn't qualify them for a PADI/NAUI cert, even if they're better trained then most recreation divers.

It's riskier, yes, but doesn't automatically mean they're a bad diver.

Im with the government I am here to help. Cert not = good diver, no cert not = bad diver, what did you really learn in your OW class? how to clear your mask, to keep breathing, how to find your reg if you spit it out. what is better a new diver with a cert or a non cert diver with 20 dives? who is safer and more prepared to take a dive? in class you went to a pool 2-3 times, then you did 4 dives likely in a lake (bigger pool). why cant someone learn what you learned from their friends that are doing it? my father dove for years until one day the dive shop told him he had to have a cert to fill his tank, it was a new thing they just started all the dive shops were doing it. seriously do you really think you learned sooo much in your 2 classrooms and 2 dive weekends that someone cant learn it without an agency blessing or spending $$?

I am a rebel to the end, I taught my wife to dive she had 12 ocean dives before she got her certification.

so you experienced guys have seen newly certified divers that were "clueless"? Can you expand on this?

so you experienced guys have seen newly certified divers that were "clueless"? Can you expand on this?

How good a driver were you when you first had a license?

Back
Top Bottom