uncertified divers in the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool:
In my books, an uncertified diver who refuses to learn through proper instruction does not have any respect to ones self which also equates to no respect to others.

Define "proper instruction." By my definition, lots of classes issuing certifications don't qualify.

Joe Cool:
Any self-respecting experienced certified diver will encourage a newbie diver to get certified.

Lots of those uncertified "newbies" have been diving longer than me (26 years) and have more experience.

Before I get crucified for my belief in the dive cert system, I would like to clarify myself by saying that I very much respect a person with experience backed by well-rounded theoretical knowledge. I certainly am not a c-card enthusiast and I do not believe that possessing a c-card makes me anyone an excellent diver. I believe the basic cert classes is the best way to gain the basic knowledge needed to better understand the sport of diving. The rest of the stuff you learn, you learn through experience. I am particularly not fond of cocky c-card collectors who think they know it all because of their impressive card collection. Just like in my line of work, just because some people hold a P. Eng. designation does not mean they know it all. Most of them don't have the practical field experience to back up their claim.

In this scenario, we do not really know who goes out with the uncertified lady to dive the Coronados. What are their qualifications, if any, or skill level. For all we know, they might just be a bunch of dare devils. Of course, there is also the possibility of this lady going out with skilled and experienced certified or uncertified divers. There's all sorts of possibilities. From my point of view, I consider the worst of the scenarios as the basis for my input. I do respect others' opinion and take on this matter as well from different points of view. However, with the lack of information concerning this matter, it is really difficult to say that the uncertified lady diver is in good hand or not everytime she dives the Coronados.

Here's a question for you, Teamcasa: Would you like to be responsible for dragging your uncertified friend to go diving with you even if you have, in your best abiity, briefed and lectured him/her on all things scuba?

Yes, and have done so in the past. Today, classes are cheap enough and the people I would introduce to Scuba would be able to afford to take it.

Before I get crucified for my belief in the dive cert system, I would like to clarify myself by saying that I very much respect a person with experience backed by well-rounded theoretical knowledge. I certainly am not a c-card enthusiast and I do not believe that possessing a c-card makes me anyone an excellent diver. I believe the basic cert classes is the best way to gain the basic knowledge needed to better understand the sport of diving. The rest of the stuff you learn, you learn through experience. I am particularly not fond of cocky c-card collectors who think they know it all because of their impressive card collection. Just like in my line of work, just because some people hold a P. Eng. designation does not mean they know it all. Most of them don't have the practical field experience to back up their claim.

Right. Besides, it takes only a few minutes of observing a diver in water to see if they have any skills. So, if I buddy up with someone who has zero skills, yet possesses a handful of cards, I will pay very close attention to them until we are safely back on shore(or aboard the boat).

What do you call the person who finished last in his class at medical school, answer Doctor. Same goes for divers who finish last in the cert class.

I was diving for 13 years before I bought a certification card
It's worse than that. To get into Medical School takes some doing. Even if you end up last in Med school, sticking it through and getting there in the first place is still quite an accomplishment.
OW classes on the other hand can be as little as a 3 day course on an island somewhere with only 5 dives.. and each of them with an instructor. Top of the OW class is a long way below bottom of the med school graduating class.
On my 6th dive, I was pretty much clueless as to the multitude of skills that you eventually pick up from experiences (good and bad). But.. I would not want to forego those 5 dives under the tutelage of an instructor.
When it matters to me is when someone who is not trained dives and relies on others who have been. At least there is some common set of principles that the OW courses teach. They aren't perfect by a long shot, but they are a foundation.

Back
Top Bottom