Uncle Pug goes to Fiji ~ discussion thread open for posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip the big light, not needed and just blinds the fish and sunburns the coral. Less weight too.

It will ruin you! Bad for your health. You'll won't want to ever dive dry again :D

Two words: Sun Screen. And use lots of it.

Have a great time, but no whining that the water is too cold when you get home!

Be ready to cope with the possiblity of AL tanks.

Let me know if you want to borrow an aluminum backplate ... your SS one might be too much weight ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Let me know if you want to borrow an aluminum backplate ... your SS one might be too much weight ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good point:
I'm a fairly new diver but luckily I learned in the muck up here in the Northeast and have also been diving warm. So I've been diving many combinations of tanks, BP's and wetsuits. Not diving dry yet. I did have to switch to an AL plate in NC when I brought my steel 100's as I was over with my 9# SS plate. In Cayman my 3mm shorty did very nicely in the 80 degree temps. And with the rental AL80's my 9# SS plate countered the AL nicely. Only needed 3# on my belt. Very nice diving.
This was a singles rig with an Oxycheq 45# wing.

Uncle Pug:
Sheesh.... I need real advice here folks.... how am I going to cope with warm water when all my experience is with cold water low viz!

I'm kinda partial to #441. :D

You sure as heck didn't think you'd get anything other than a good razzing did you??? :11:

I went to the Caymans recently, and did at least one dive that went to 174 fsw for a total time of 3 hrs 10 min. All I had on was a diveskin, and was perfectly comfortable. I echo the advice you did get; i.e. broad-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and lots of waterproof sunscreen.

Have a great time! Cheers! :crafty:

Uncle Pug:
Got a PM from NetDoc yesterday. I'm going to Fiji representing ScubaBoard. Needed to get a passport. Got it today.

I'm strictly a cold water diver. Any advice welcome... but hurry... I leave on the 28th... this coming Thursday. :11:

Where are you going in Fiji?

If Vatu-I-Ra, the passage between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu are not included, do try to get a few days in those waters. (Yes, I know that's where Dan Grenier went missing and I'll miss diving with him, but it's worthwhile to get there.)

Uncle Pug:
Sheesh.... I need real advice here folks.... how am I going to cope with warm water when all my experience is with cold water low viz!
I wore a 3 mil full wetsuit (no gloves or hood) in both Bonaire and Puerta Vallarta and was plenty warm. I would strongly suggest a pair of X-Shorts, they a re VERY nice to have. I didn't have them in Bonaire but did have them in PV, I won't dive warm without them after that trip. That way you can have all your regular things in your pockets, just like at home.

I dive my Halcyon in both places, wearing 4# on a weight belt to counter the swing of the AL80. I probably could have ditched the 4# by the end of the trip, but it is part of my normal gear-up to put on a weight belt.

I brought my HID to both places. I only really turned it on about half the time, but it's not a hassle to have it with you. Do definitely carry your light on with you, as it looks too much like a pipe bomb in the X-ray machines. I've had to explain it every time I've traveled with it so far.

Lastly, if you want to use your Jets you will need to bring booties. I just wear the ones I got for my original OW dives here (5 mil high-top booties) and they work just fine.

I am somewhat loathe to even pretend to be able to give you advice, UP. The only suggestion I would have is that the first dive take it easy, since it will be a change from what you're used to (drysuit, tons o' exposure gear, etc). I find that my first dive on a warm-water trip is basically an "orientation" dive. The reverse is also true when I get home. That first dive back in the Sound is always an orientation dive.

Have fun over there, I wish I could go too!

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom