Uncle Pug goes to Fiji ~ discussion thread open for posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fiji uses the Australian/New Zealand plug, 50-60MHz at 240V. Several places I've seen in Fiji have had 110V shaver outlets that accept US plugs, but ask ahead. If you've got a low draw charger, you can probably run it off the charger outlet (I rang my Maha C777 off a shaver outlet for several closely monitored hours :D). Bamboo Beach had a BMF 240-110V converter for people to run battery chargers off, given the large number of US visitors - other destinations may have similar arrangements. If you're taking anything that uses non-rechargeable batteries - bring spares! We saw C cell batteries selling for about $20 Fijian a pair ($11-12 USD) at one resort.

My wife and I each took a 10W HID (canister & Light Cannon) and were glad we did - daylight starts to run out as you go deeper, just like anywhere, and the colour differences at depth were amazing with the HID. One dive the DM even borrowed my lighthead mid-dive and used it to light up some stuff to show other divers.

We were given 3300psi ali 88's with yoke fittings. Neutral when empty. You will probably get those rather than the Luzfer/Catalina et al 77.4's. DIN valves were unheard of. We perpetually had short fills but that's probably specific to the guy filling the tanks.

3mm suits were fine - plan on wearing booties - lots of coral and stuff in the shallows and tidal flats. I would hate to have to kick off a pair of full foot fins and walk anywear in Fiji. Don't pick up the cone shells - they shoot poison darts. Don't pick up the blue ringed octopus - they bite and inject poison. Don't eat the Denarau "beef" burgers - they gave me food poisoning. DO go to the Ports'O Call restaurant at Fiji Sheraton Denarau if you get the chance - best meal I've ever eaten.

Given the ripping currents at some dive sites (and the recent tragedy), bring your biggest baddest SMB and other surface signalling gear (another good use for HID). I'm giving serious consideration to one of those 10' high surface inflate puppies for future trips and even an EPIRB. Didn't have a problem with taking the backplate along.

Hats, sunscreen and bugspray. Tipping is NOT customary, and in fact discouraged in some places - instead you'll probably be asked to kick in to a staff "holiday fund" or similar at the end of your stay (depending on where you stay). Given the standard of living of most Fijians, I think on our next trip we'll be hauling along some stuff like school supplies or kids shoes or something. It just didn't seem "quite right" with us that we were still being encouraged to give a gratuity by the resort owners, but the typical amounts were the equivalent of 2 months wages for a local, and it was going into a "holiday" fund. I'm not fully up to speed on how the whole thing works, but it just felt like the amounts of money in question could be put to much better use.

If there's any little treats you can't live without (like candies/chocolate) - bring them - everything is shipped into Fiji and western luxuries cost a fortune.

Above all have fun.

I won't bother with Scuba tips except one--good viz can be disorienting. It's very easy to head for the outcropping or ridge or whatever you see and end up a good deal deeper than you expected. But I have some travel advice. The trip to Fiji is pretty long. Drink lots and lots of water and do bring one of those neck pillows. Also, pack light. On the interisland flights, they will actually weigh you and your carry on together and there are strict limits on checked baggage. So I'd consider anything to cut weight including that AL BP.

Thanks again for all the great advice... some of which conflicts with others... but hey.. this is Scuba Board! :D

1) Am I to expect al80s that are 4# positive empty or al88s that are neutral empty?
2) I'm taking my full 3mil... should l be taking my SS plate or Bob's Al plate?
3) I'll take the 10w Proteus with pro4 canister if it is really worth the weigth. Is it?

1. At Crystal Divers in '04, we used the compact AL80s (Catalinas I guess) that are roughly neutral empty. With Swiss Fiji Divers, we had standard Luxfer S80s, +4.4 lbs. Don't know what other operators use. Do you know who you're diving with?

2. I'd take the AL. If you end up somewhere with neutral tanks, you'll be heavy with the SS.

3. I took my Helios 4.5 with me on my last trip and I'll take it again. It was nice to have.

Last March in Fiji, water was a constant 82 degrees - took a 3mm fullsuit, but wore a 1mm & beannie all week. Garden Island Resort on Taveuni uses standard AL80s. Milkshakes for lunch every day, and Lobster, in some variation, for dinner 5 of 8 nights. Even with the plane ride that takes forever, I'm going back again next year.

Uncle Pug:
3) I'll take the 10w Proteus with pro4 canister if it is really worth the weigth. Is it?

I'd take definately take the AL plate if you take the can light.

Worst comes to worst, a 4 lb weight belt doesn't suck too bad.

Uncle Pug:
1) Am I to expect al80s that are 4# positive empty or al88s that are neutral empty?

Ron, never been to Fiji but i would surprised if Alum. 80's were not the norm. To be safe i would plan for the more buoyant tank, take the SS plate and the 27 wing. Then your pretty well covered no matter what.

Personally, when traveling from the States to a place like Fiji, i don't think its worth hauling the extra weight of a canister light unless your doing a lot of darker diving .... deep, night, penetration, cave, etc. This is especially true if your dealing with smaller airplanes on any connector flights, which i don't know if you are for Fiji. The weight restrictions can get pretty extreme and expensive on those smaller planes.

I carry two smaller hand held lights and bring extra batteries if they aren't readily available where i'm going. Works great for the warm water reef stuff IMO since much of the good stuff is shallow anyway.

Isn't UP diving in warm, clear water one of the signs of the Apocalypse? I better go consult some scriptures.

If you haven't gone yet check out these links: http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html - The year round water temp for the last 9 years plus some exposure protection advice.

http://www.naia.com.fj/fiji/weather.html - The year round air temp and rainfall

And if you want to check the sea state have alook at the virtual buoys around Fiji at http://buoy.ocens.net/wxnav.jsp?region=fiji&program=Maps

And if you don't have a camera beg, steal or borrow one so we can see some of what you get up to.....or alternatively you can bring me and my camera.....I'll join the queue.....You could probably fill a plane with everyone who wants to go :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom