Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not a question of better marketing our way out of the crisis ... that's the old thinking and it doesn't work. A new path and a new vision are needed, not a new wrapper on the same old crap.

To me DEMA is basically a lobbying body. A lobbyist takes money from all of the people they are supposed to help and uses that larger chunk of money to get the groups message across. In this case, we're talking about awareness of SCUBA. I haven't seen SCUBA promoted outside of SCUBA magazines in years, so they do not appear to be fulfilling their position as a lobbying body. I know that's technically what they call themselves, but that's the only benefit I personally can get from them.

The crisis in my eyes is that money is spent for very little and consumer awareness of the SCUBA industry is decreases as shown in the certification numbers.

It appears, however, that there are two crises currently: the marketing side and the political side. I don't care about marketing DEMA, I care about marketing SCUBA, so a "new wrapper on the same old crap" to me implies you think SCUBA diving is crap.

I don't care about the political side of these things, I just want to see our industry thrive and good marketing CAN fix that.

I care about marketing SCUBA, so a "new wrapper on the same old crap" to me implies you think SCUBA diving is crap.

Anybody that's bothered to read even a few of Thalassamania's posts would never assume he thinks "SCUBA diving is crap" it's silly to even suggest such a thing.

Making a few structural changes to DEMA that results in the same tired approach to the show and the same failed efforts to broaden the appeal of scuba is "Crap"

I don't care about the political side of these things, I just want to see our industry thrive and good marketing CAN fix that.

How do you propose to fund this "good marketing" if you don't first change the ossified politics of the current DEMA?

Tobin

"Good Marketing" is what got the industry into the situation that it is in. Overselling scuba to people who really did not want to do it in the first place by dropping entry requirements (e.g., standards and course commitments) so that most people who tried it out either hated it or were so damned scared that they stopped doing it.

But lots of masks, fins and snorkels, and a few sets of gear were sold, and continue to be sold, on the same basis. If the industry does not make the commitment to actually train people to be comfortable in the water, then all that the "good marketing" will accomplish is assuring a steady trickle of people into the front door who will bad mouth their experience once they hurry out the back door, having left less than a thousand dollars behind at an LDS and (perhaps) a similar sum at some sort of "destination."

It's time for an end to marketing as we have know it. Remember, if someone has a bad experience with something they tell twice as many people about it than they do if they have a good experience. The diving industry is suffering from too many bad experiences and can't, long term, marketeer its way out of that corner, especially with ossified groups like PADI sitting on top of DEMA by buying votes and preventing real change, because that might threaten their current hegemony.

simple question- Who benefits most by diver turnover? And why?

I've wondered why some divers quickly loose interest, and some become total enthusiasts.

Personality must play a part, but what specifically about their initial diving experience lead to an early exit vs continued participation.

Was it the training experience?

Were their expectations not met?

Dissatisfaction with the retail experience?

Lack of dive partners?

Lack of local support?

Lack of funds?

Too many other distractions?

??

Tobin

I suspect that all those play a role, but that inadequacies in training (not the experience itself, but rather the preparation that it provides for later experiences) are the major root cause.

Was just bored and messing around on my computer. Didn't really know where to post this since so many threads have popped up. Let me know how u like.

unified-dive-industry3.png

Clint

Could it partly be that they never intended to stay with diving in the first place. In the attempt to rope more and more people into diving and with making access easier perhaps diving has attracted people who just see it as another notch on their "been there-done that list. My wife went tandem skydiving (a development that ropes more people into that industry) but she never meant to stay with it. Bungy jumping, river rafting, kayaking, skydiving, scuba diving. She wants to try all of those things but kayaking is the only one she might stick with.
Here's the thing. Most advertisement seems to reach out to these types but I personally don't want to be identified as that type of diver so the advertising doesn't register with me. I'm not interested in wetsuit models smiling contentedly from their tropical destinations with their shiny gear. One question might be how to reach the blue collar type of week in, week out diver. If anything, I am more attracted to the DIR image simply because it seems more "real" and non smarmy. I know that's just a perception but still...

I've wondered why some divers quickly loose interest, and some become total enthusiasts.

Personality must play a part, but what specifically about their initial diving experience lead to an early exit vs continued participation.

Was it the training experience?

Were their expectations not met?

Dissatisfaction with the retail experience?

Lack of dive partners?

Lack of local support?

Lack of funds?

Too many other distractions?

??

Tobin

While getting certified My buddy I partnered with seemed to have the same drive and desire while we learned to dive. After certification we would go diving together. I was always more impressed with what we saw. It seemed that I was more easily satisfied. We would dive together often then, after a year or so I was diving 30 times a year he would go 2 -3. Then I was diving in the ocean and worked my way up to 100 dives a year and he dropped off. I started to go diving all over the east coast.

I beleive diving either turns you on or not. Everyone is different and likes different things. This is with all things being equal, such as training and experieces.

To Divesite
They neglected to tell any one that the only person that it would efect was Al Hornsby.

Great summary. Thanks for sharing. I have one question.

From the first time I've seen this issue discussed, I've add one question: What difference does it make whether Al Hornsby is re-elected all the time /or/ if PADI alternates between Al Hornsby and some other PADI representative? Isn't it the only difference?

If PADI has so many votes and the by-laws prevent Al Hornsby from running again, then... Wouldn't they just have another PADI representative elected? Isn't it what was being done? And, then... What difference does it make to me which one is on the board this time around?

Or... Am I missing something? I'm sure I am.

It doesn't matter to me how long a board member sits on a board, as long as he is not sleeping on his seat, if you know what I mean. That's really the only thing that would matter to me: what is the plan to do what and get where?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom