Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This kind of smacks of "America: Love her or leave her!"

Why can't we talk about things without having to simply leave? I have invested a lot of time and money developing relationships in and around DEMA. I don't feel like I need or want to abandon ship. Go figure!

This kind of smacks of "America: Love her or leave her!"

Why can't we talk about things without having to simply leave? I have invested a lot of time and money developing relationships in and around DEMA. I don't feel like I need or want to abandon ship. Go figure!

What has DEMA done to show it's capable of change?

The true power at DEMA is so insular and detached from reality that I have very little hope that meaningful change is possible.

If DEMA really wants to "Listen" why are they not engaged right here right now?

Tobin

The true power at DEMA is so insular and detached from reality that I have very little hope that meaningful change is possible.

Tobin

Tobin,
You know that I was very much for starving the beast, however quite a few others wanted to pursue exactly what Pete is talking about. Namely lets talk loudly and hopefully DEMA can change and be worth something again.

Their response to this has shown me very clearly that that is VERY unlikely, for the reasons you poste dand more.

The good news is that this has petition has gotten more of us talking and certainly the industry is watching very closely to see if indeed DEMA is viable. Change will come out of this (and has).

Tobin

It's not that DEMA itself is incapable of change. The fact is most who want changes are too smart to run for the BOD. It is a thankless job.

The fact is most who want changes are too smart to run for the BOD.
I don't know if this is accurate. You are nominated for a chance to be on the BOD. If someone does not want a certain change or changes to happen, it's easy enough to stack the deck against it.

It's not that DEMA itself is incapable of change. The fact is most who want changes are too smart to run for the BOD. It is a thankless job.

What difference does it make if the needed "new blood" is too smart to apply, or the nomination / election process effectively limits participation?

In the end the net effect is the same, same old same old.

Tobin

I don't know if this is accurate. You are nominated for a chance to be on the BOD. If someone does not want a certain change or changes to happen, it's easy enough to stack the deck against it.

After I left the Board I had numerous high profile members contact me to run again. I replied that if they wanted change I would be glad to participate if they would join me to create a slate of candidates for change. I was in "the DEMA barrel" for six years, I was not going to fight the battle alone. You can see how it ended up. Talk is cheap!

After I left the Board I had numerous high profile members contact me to run again. I replied that if they wanted change I would be glad to participate if they would join me to create a slate of candidates for change. I was in "the DEMA barrel" for six years, I was not going to fight the battle alone. You can see how it ended up. Talk is cheap!

Lee, you and I spoke a few weeks back when this was in infancy, you took a cautious approach, in fact you expressed the exact same comments regarding not doing it alone and talk is cheap.

THIS IS THE CHANGE, nobody is doing it alone, HECK no one person has even talked to everybody that supports this!

We are seeing a sea change and I promise you that it isn't just talking. The industry tried and put up with that enough.

Something is different now, those that aren't willing to put up are the ones that are going out of business. To them the message is simple. "See ya, now we plan the future."

I'm hoping for change but you know the first rule of scuba diving: Don't hold your breath!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom