Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!!! => Al Hornsby Resigns! Was my previous post prophetic enough?

hmmm, strangely enough I am disappointed Al has taken that direction.

Allow me to explain. While certainly there has been some concern (shared by me) that indeed PADI had invested much (multi memberships) to "control" DEMA and certainly it appeared that way after term limits were abolished and Al got elected again to the BOD and immediately made President (thus the term President for Life) the situation was NEVER really addressed.

What do I mean by that? Well, PADI is the market leader among certification agencies, so much so that it is my view that PADI should have a PERMANENT SEAT on the DEMA BOD. That seat should be in addition to the normal amount of seats, in other words by them being there other certification agencies still get the opportunity to be on the board. In addition make it so the BOD must cancel the permanent seat upon PADI's market share dropping below some set number (say 60%). In fact for every category of DEMA membership make a PERMANENT seat for any company that has 60% or higher market share in the industry in their category. This ensures that DEMA and the industry benefits from having the most successful on the team. It also leaves room for the rest of the industry. make it so these Permanent seat holder companies can only hold the President of DEMA position by unanimous vote of the BOD, remember that will now include another stake holder(competitor) from that segment now, so it is no longer automatic)

So now in a "baby with the bathwater" move we kneejerk and alienate PADI...smooth move and stupid.

Dear DEMA BOD, GET OVER YOURSELF, this isn't an attack on you, as individuals or the companies you work for. It is a plea for a different attitude and approach.

Anyway, who's on the board isn't so important as what the DEMA BOD and organization plans to do different, because what is happening isn't working.

Dear DEMA BOD, GET OVER YOURSELF, this isn't an attack on you, as individuals or the companies you work for. It is a plea for a different attitude and approach.
Now, that's a mixed message! :D Except for the "GET OVER YOURSELF" portion, it almost sounds conciliatory.

I simply don't think that anyone on the BOD has to "get over themselves". Their business plans and ethics are pretty exemplary and I don't know that any of them owe their success to DEMA or being on the BOD. In fact, I would argue that if you asked any of them, you would find that they pretty much want what we want: a STRONG Scuba Business Community supporting an even stronger Diving Community.

I mean, who doesn't want that?

So let's focus on what we really don't like about DEMA (collectively speaking).

Transparency. The state of Florida has a sunshine law, meaning that ALL state business is open to the public and that all transactions are open for public scrutiny. It was a PITA for some at first, but the trust level has improved dramatically because of this. Part of the brouhaha erupted over a single instance on Delta with absolutely no accountability of who paid for what?

Inclusion. This is harder to put my finger on, but simply: I don't feel like I am appreciated as a DEMA member. Maybe I am missing something, but there are a lot of people like me who feel disenfranchised. The "Good ol' Boy" methodology is repugnant to me. Possibly one member/one vote would solve this.

Term Limits. We need a constant infusion of new blood and fresh ideas. Term limits is a good thing.

Now, that's a mixed message! :D Except for the "GET OVER YOURSELF" portion, it almost sounds conciliatory.

yeah well, it managed to get your attention....:D

sorry.....:depressed:

In fact for every category of DEMA membership make a PERMANENT seat for any company that has 60% or higher market share in the industry in their category. This ensures that DEMA and the industry benefits from having the most successful on the team. It also leaves room for the rest of the industry. make it so these Permanent seat holder companies can only hold the President of DEMA position by unanimous vote of the BOD, remember that will now include another stake holder(competitor) from that segment now, so it is no longer automatic)

I don't think this idea is unreasonable. I think they should also make it easier to get outside recommendations. I'd gladly volunteer my time, abilities and knowledge to help them at least modernize their own presence and hopefully some of that would trickle down, but I can't figure out where to go to offer such a thing. To me, every dive professional has a vested interest in what DEMA and the industry does regardless of their official membership status.

Serioulsly, look over that entire Unified Dive Industry petition and then look at the list Exhibitors at DEMA. You will notice a ridiculous number of these petitioners are on both lists. Way to send a message. DEMA won't do a darn thing unless people stop going and stop paying their dues. Every one attending DEMA this year is just as responsible for the problems as the DEMA BOD. There is no DEMA without members.

I hope you have better luck with.that than I have. I don't think they want help.

I know, I don't expect them to take me up on it. Just throwin' it out there... :D

Serioulsly, look over that entire Unified Dive Industry petition and then look at the list Exhibitors at DEMA. You will notice a ridiculous number of these petitioners are on both lists. Way to send a message. DEMA won't do a darn thing unless people stop going and stop paying their dues. Every one attending DEMA this year is just as responsible for the problems as the DEMA BOD. There is no DEMA without members.

An excellent point. Not personally being a member or a vendor, I don't know, but is there a possibility though that some of the vendors do a serious amount of their business directly at DEMA and to not attend would seriously detract from their bottom line? If that's the case, I can somewhat understand the Catch-22 feeling that you don't support DEMA, but their show feeds you.

I noticed this too. And I agree, defunding DEMA is the only real leverage the "rank and file" have.

I suspect however that many this year are simply playing out a hand dealt a year ago when they made a deposit at the end of last year's show to exhibit this year.

When the money has already been spent for booth space, displays etc. it a hard choice to walk away. I know it was for me.

Far more telling will be the number of membership renewals and booth deposits for DEMA 2010.......

Tobin

Well, I think there are a couple of points that need to be made here.

First, I am not aware of any position on that petition to "defund" DEMA or to replace it with another organization. I don't see the petition as a means and mechanism to strangle the organization financially. If that is the purpose of the petition, it certainly is not stated as such. Personally, that is not my desire.

Second, the DEMA show is still considered, by many, as a valuable marketing and research opportunity. While I am not attending this year, I do in most years and I enjoy the opportunity. Attendance at the 2009 DEMA show is NOT AT ALL at cross purposes with signing the petition requesting some changes in the organization.

We should be VERY careful on expanding the desired impact of the petition beyond what is stated. Now, if anyone has any evidence that the organizers of the petition drive have some wider, alternative objective, I would love to hear it. If it is the case that there is an alternative "hidden" agenda to do more than what is stated, I think signers have a right to know about it.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Orlando is local to me, otherwise I would not be a member of DEMA this year nor attending. I was not a member last year nor did I exhibit in Vegas, but the year before I was and did at Orlando. There is a method to my madness.

It is the most responsible fiscal choice for my company.

Back
Top Bottom