Unified Dive Industry wants to change DEMA for the better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears many are surprised by the addition of AL to the petition. My question, is anyone verifying that these guys actually signed the petition. How hard would it be for me to go and fill out the form as Brian Cronin and use his email?
Hopefully nobody would stoop that low but it's just a thought.
Look at the number of views on this thread alone. I would imagine that people are being verified almost immediately. They are indeed watching this with a keen eye...

Tink, tink, tink... IS THIS MIC ON??? :D

Yeppers, and hopefully they will get the message loud an clear that a number of us feel disenfranchised by the current process. If they want to grow and remain viable, they should stop and listen to the growing discontent.

Here is the sad part: it's easy for them to destroy this if we let them vilify any of us. Just today I was told that Dick Long was a "loon". I took strong exception to that and it became apparent that this is an easy way for them to ignore us. I refuse to be so conveniently labeled.

Dick Long, the founder of DUI, has courage and the weak and feeble may consider that a threat.

Dick has probably done more for his local diving and diving overall then most.

This shift can succeed. Many are still hiding, not stepping up. This initiative will move forward. Some will be left behind.

The most satisfying thing is seeing the Dive Retailers sign on.

I'm currently playing catch up on this topic, but it does sound interesting. When I first got into being a professional dive instructor, I remember the talk of DEMA being somewhat decent in that they were running cross-promotion advertising in several print publications. I remember a Honda CR-V print ad with SCUBA gear in the back.

That all seems to have gone away. I (amongst others) have pointed out how DEMA doesn't get Facebook. This stuff is easy, there are people here on this board who would willingly teach them. I work in a huge corporate environment and know what bureaucracy can be like, but this is even a bit much.

I will be attending DEMA this year as a member of the press. The person at the PR company is trying to setup interviews for me with several higher-ups at DEMA. If we can get everything scheduled, I hope to discuss some of these issues with them directly.

This is good conversation for sure, we can all benefit from better marketing.

It appears many are surprised by the addition of AL to the petition. My question, is anyone verifying that these guys actually signed the petition. How hard would it be for me to go and fill out the form as Brian Cronin and use his email?
Hopefully nobody would stoop that low but it's just a thought.

Dick Long is a very influential man. I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago and he confirmed both Aqualung and Oceanic are on board with the petition.

Cheers

JDS

I'm currently playing catch up on this topic, but it does sound interesting. When I first got into being a professional dive instructor, I remember the talk of DEMA being somewhat decent in that they were running cross-promotion advertising in several print publications. I remember a Honda CR-V print ad with SCUBA gear in the back.

That all seems to have gone away. I (amongst others) have pointed out how DEMA doesn't get Facebook. This stuff is easy, there are people here on this board who would willingly teach them. I work in a huge corporate environment and know what bureaucracy can be like, but this is even a bit much.

I will be attending DEMA this year as a member of the press. The person at the PR company is trying to setup interviews for me with several higher-ups at DEMA. If we can get everything scheduled, I hope to discuss some of these issues with them directly.

This is good conversation for sure, we can all benefit from better marketing.
It is not a question of better marketing our way out of the crisis ... that's the old thinking and it doesn't work. A new path and a new vision are needed, not a new wrapper on the same old crap.

As a dive shop owner I have had several of my vendors ask me to sign "the petition". While I probably won't have a problem doing that.....I just haven't been able to glean what this is about. I went to the unified industry website but I guess I'm missing something.....what is the actual problem/what led to the petition being created? Is there a website or post on scubaboard that defines the actual problem/s or issue/s?

Very good question!!

I think the petition is being used to start a dialog amongst members of the diving community to create a regular forum in which we can collectively discuss and problem solve some of the industry's problems. I don't think an agenda has been identified and we are looking for input.

A large number feel that elements within the industry have prevented input into various organizations and seek to get the attention of these organizations to "open up" and listen to their constituents.

This process is in its infancy and I don't think anyone really knows how it will turn out.

Sign on for the adventure!

As a dive shop owner I have had several of my vendors ask me to sign "the petition". While I probably won't have a problem doing that.....I just haven't been able to glean what this is about. I went to the unified industry website but I guess I'm missing something.....what is the actual problem/what led to the petition being created? Is there a website or post on scubaboard that defines the actual problem/s or issue/s?

here is one thread with pretty good discussion

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/277942-dema-show.html

and another from a couple years back...:D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/209021-dema-lack-ethics.html

For what? I spent six years trying to change the organization and failed.

I would like those who post for change to tell us what they want to change and how they would go about it. With only a half-dozen of so posters on this thread, it does't appear that change is coming.

One thing I would have changed would be to air the be a dive campaign on discovery, and Nat Geo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom