Unused, 10yr old reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I don't get the part about not being able to use your own gear during the training. Most in my class didn't have their own yet but I had happened to get everything (except tank) beforehand (I had been on resort dives already and *knew* I was going to want to keep diving so the investment was a good forcing function to get the class done).

The instructor even encouraged me to do the training in the gear so I'd get familiar with it right away. No reason to learn in rental gear you will never see again in your life if you have your own already.

Erm, you may have a point in wanting to use familiar equipment during your check-out dives. I remember borrowing a SP BC after I got certified and was "confused" by the lay-out of the buttons of the LP inflator and deflator. Almost ended up doing a runaway ascent from 80 feet!
I'd discuss the issue with the instructor. Maybe ask him to go into greater detail. Then I'd check the veracity of his statements. If it turns out to be a load of bull, well then too bad about the rapport.
Good luck and have fun during your check-out dives! Just stay relaxed and remember your training, and you'll be fine! :D

The one other dimension to this could be that if I were a shop and being asked if I would allow equipment that hadn't been used in 10 years to be used in a class, I might just say "no, you have to use our equipment". Of course if it was properly serviced first they shouldn't have any issue and I have no idea if this is what went thru their thoughts (or if they even knew about it being that old/unused).

A 10 year old new regulator, stored correctly, might just still work fine if you put it on a tank. But soft parts will have taken some set (I would not expect any hardening or cracking) and will probably not perform up to capability. Have it serviced to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

I would not be at all surprised if some shops actually believed the story you were told is true - some of theses stories have been around so long that they have grown to become "fact". But taking an OW student with gear in unknown condition is probably a bad idea. Plus it might allow other students to see gear alternatives that the shop would just as soon they not know about.

Thanks for all the opinions, advice, information and suggestions everyone. I'd like to think that awap is right and that my instructor is just under the impression I was not allowed to use my own equipment or had some valid reason other than money. I don't want to be bitter about it just yet... I'll wait until I pass my OW Checkout before getting too bitter. :wink: He seems like he might be a good mentor for me since he apparently dives at the local quarry fairly often and seems to be available to his students so I'm hoping I'm not misreading him and he's as good a guy as my impression tells me. Let's hope.

Just FYI, I have the reg on my lap as I type and the regs themselves say "Beuchat" on the back by the chin part, but on the front of the reg, the octo says "Beuchat" and the primary says "Cavalero". The gauge console (thermometer, depth gauge, pressure gauge, compass) says "Cavalero" as does the BC. I Googled for Beuchat and found some info but Cavalero doesn't seem to bring up anything. There's a stamp on the primary that reads "2298 D 95". I don't know what it means but assuming the 95 is the mfg date, these are indeed 11 years old.

ohh...I was hoping it was a sherwood Brut.
That 1st stage is a beast - piston, spring, gasket. No messing around.
good luck.

This is interesting as when I was DM at our University we supplied gear for the class but students had to provide their own equipment for the OW dives. As such we gave them a list of all the local shops and said happy renting. Naturally, 99% of them rented gear. Which in several cases I spent time fixing. The other 1% brought their own gear. When I did my OW 25 years ago all of my gear was borrowed from day one - including the dry suit I used (yes I dove dry on dive #1).

At least with the new but used 10 year old gear you know its history.

cork2win:
Thanks for all the opinions, advice, information and suggestions everyone. I'd like to think that awap is right and that my instructor is just under the impression I was not allowed to use my own equipment or had some valid reason other than money. I don't want to be bitter about it just yet... I'll wait until I pass my OW Checkout before getting too bitter. :wink: He seems like he might be a good mentor for me since he apparently dives at the local quarry fairly often and seems to be available to his students so I'm hoping I'm not misreading him and he's as good a guy as my impression tells me. Let's hope.

Just FYI, I have the reg on my lap as I type and the regs themselves say "Beuchat" on the back by the chin part, but on the front of the reg, the octo says "Beuchat" and the primary says "Cavalero". The gauge console (thermometer, depth gauge, pressure gauge, compass) says "Cavalero" as does the BC. I Googled for Beuchat and found some info but Cavalero doesn't seem to bring up anything. There's a stamp on the primary that reads "2298 D 95". I don't know what it means but assuming the 95 is the mfg date, these are indeed 11 years old.

Couple of issues: using your own equipment in class an insurance problem... BS
Of course any gear not used for 10 yrs should be properly checked out.
The reg should be serviced with new O rings etc.

Now the problem, Don't recognize "Cavalero", but then not sure if that is just the model. I don't think its a mfg. if it is, I doubt parts will be available anywhere.
As for Beuchat, I know in my area there are no dealers thus no parts. Not sure who if anyone anywhere still carries this brand.
Of course it could be worse, Dacor definately no parts.

You know, there is no magic to scuba gear. If it is only 10 years old and was never used it is most likely good to go. I would not hesitate to use it without service--however---being as your a new diver and have not the judgment on gear that years of diving provides a person it is likely wise to service the regulator--IF---you find a shop you can trust to do so. Scuba shops are notorious for junking perfectly good gear and selling you something you don't need. Modern gear including regulators from 1996 (10 years old) are made from materials that are extremely resistive to deterioration. There is nothing to "dry" out. I have regulators that have been in continuous use for decades with the original seats in them. Of course--without knowing what regulator you actually have or what sort of gear you actually have been given it is diffucult to give a specific recommendation. If it is free--take it---it may at least serve as back up or secondary uses. Gear design from 10 years ago---1996-- has not changed that much from today if at all. This need for yearly servicing thing is really an urban legend. Does the BC hold air, does it fit, does it inflate when you push the button--if so--go use it. N

Beuchat is a French manufacturer founded by George Beuchat under the name Tarzan-Espadon. As they had problems about this name with MGM, the name was changed to Espadon. Later renamed Beuchat.
Reference: http://www.scubacollector.de/html/espadon1.html

Cavalero was also a French company. I do recall the Cavalero brand name back in the 70’s. In the 70’s they sold the highly venerable FENZY (The Divers Parachute). Probably the first BC horse collar ever. I own a couple (see my avatar :wink: ).

I have no idea of what is the relationship between Beuchat and Cavalero.

IMO 10 year old gear is relatively new, but I am not familiar with the kind of support and availability of parts you may get from Beuchat here in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom