Upcoming new diver here. Couple certification questions and med question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the DAN article on mitral valve prolapse pretty much sums it up. The vast majority of patients with MVP will be able to dive without issues. Those who require beta blockers need to be assessed for the reason WHY the beta blockers were prescribed (arrhythmias being the most important) and also for the effect of the beta blocker on exercise tolerance. I think the OP should have a chat with the physician who prescribed this medication, and explain to him the type of activity in which he engages. If the primary reason for the drug is blood pressure, there are better choices for divers.

I read over the DAN articles, they do cover it pretty well. Personally I think I'll be okay, but I will see my cardiologist one more time before I begin to be safe, and also call the DAN number and see about seeing a diving physician in the area before I begin to be safe. Better be safe than sorry. The main reason I have beta-blockers is because I feel palpitations if I don't, and it does help some with the blood pressure. I'm also 6 ft 5 tall. It's a very mild dose, and my heart rhythm itself is normal. I can swim just fine, and go freediving in the summers a lot.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I'll be going with NASE for my basic certification also.

It's more important to have a good instructor than the agency that issues the certification. But PADI is the largest and you would not have any problems world wide with a PADI certification card. For most operators you shouldn't have a problem with the NASE either with the possible exception a small dive operation somewhere overseas.

The question regarding the mitral valve prolapse is more of a question mild, moderate, and severe prolapse. In general the more functional the patient with no symptoms with activity the more likely it is not to be a problem. The only issues with a beta blocker is how does it affect your activity. If it makes you feel tired and sluggish then it may not be a good idea to dive. But if it has little to no affect on your activity then you should be okay to dive. Check with your cardiologist. The most important aspect of getting medical clearance is how much functional activity do you have without being affected by the MVP or the beta blocker or both.

Diver's Alert Network or DAN for short.
They're a big leader in dive research, dive insurance, and dive safety.

Scuba Diving Medical Services <-link
Don't need to be a member or anything to ask questions and get answers.

Their non-emergency medical hotline is: (+1-919-684-2948)
Good source to call for your medical question.

Diver's Alert Network or DAN for short.
They're a big leader in dive research, dive insurance, and dive safety.

Scuba Diving Medical Services <-link
Don't need to be a member or anything to ask questions and get answers.

Their non-emergency medical hotline is: (+1-919-684-2948)
Good source to call for your medical question.

The question regarding the mitral valve prolapse is more of a question mild, moderate, and severe prolapse. In general the more functional the patient with no symptoms with activity the more likely it is not to be a problem. The only issues with a beta blocker is how does it affect your activity. If it makes you feel tired and sluggish then it may not be a good idea to dive. But if it has little to no affect on your activity then you should be okay to dive. Check with your cardiologist. The most important aspect of getting medical clearance is how much functional activity do you have without being affected by the MVP or the beta blocker or both.

I called DAN on my lunch break and they told me it should be okay as long as I don't have any stenosis of my valve, which I don't. The DAN website looks really informative, looked over it some more, thanks. My prolapse is very mild. DAN gave me a number to a dive physician in the area, however when i called he changed offices so I called the new place, and he does not do dive physicals. Was the only one in the area according to DAN. I will definitely see my cardiologist though and talk to him and get him to sign the forms if he feels I'm good to go.

I've completed stress tests in the past to flying colors, going to a complete run with no abnormal heart rhythm change. Propranolol is a mild dose and doesn't make me feel weaker or more tired in any way. I don't feel it affects my exercise performance. I get an echo done every year to check my valves and it has not gotten any worse. I had a heart cath years ago, and that was totally negative. Kept the report also.

Forgot to mention, the gentleman on the phone was very friendly. He talked to me a lot about it, and also sent me a chapter out of a dive manual about health from Bove and Davis. It's very informative what he sent me about the cardiovascular system.

Sounds like you are good to go. Have fun with your open water class! Please do read the piece at the beginning of the New Divers subforum on finding a good class, and what questions to ask. Regardless of agency, you need to make sure the person teaching you and the shop supporting him (if there is one) are not cutting corners.

Howdy!

I also have mild mitral valve prolapse/regurgitation (not currently taking meds for it). I think everyone else covered it.. you absolutely need to have your doctor sign the medical waiver if you're taking any medications or have any health conditions. Just wanted to give my two cents regarding the condition.. my doc didn't have any issues with it. Good luck :)

I would get the Padi every time. The reasons are Padi is accepted all over the world and all padi shops can check your license online even if you are on holiday and forget your card. I am a dive center manager in Thailand Phuket Scuba Diving | Similan Islands | Thailand Divers and I did have a customer with a NASE card and one halfway through and wanted a padi instructor to sign certain skills off. I had to look online as not one instructor or course director here had ever heard of it including instructors from the U.S. The training is the same as is most scuba diving organizations. But padi is bigger than everyone else added together. It is a bit more money but it will make your life easier around the world with the padi license.

This is called "self-reference criteria" or as they say "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Yes PADI is bigger. That's not necessarily a reason to choose one card over another.

NASE certs can be checked on-line... just like PADI certs can. Unless your PADI center can only access the PADI website and no others.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 04:37 PM ----------

They certify us through NASE. I did some research and it while it is legit, it doesn't seem as well known in places. The dive instructor at the shop is also PADI certified, but we must pay the price difference. What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to pay the 120ish extra price to have a PADI card over the NASE card. It's 219 for the course, but PADI would be over 300.

There's an expression you'll hear often "It's the instructor, not the agency" in terms of the quality of teh training you'll receive. That's particularly true when it's the exact same instructor either way.

Sure, there's a far higher chance that with PADI the logo on your certification will match a sticker on the door of any dive shop half-way around the world. Is that worth $81?

Frankly - if it's the same instructor - I'd suggest investing the $81 into some diving after you get certified. Beer is always another good option.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 05:06 PM ----------

[-]Most places will[/-] Any and every dive shop on the planet should accept NASE.

Fixed it for you.

I did have a customer with a NASE card

And did you let him dive or turn him away?

I'm a pretty new diver, but the one thing I have seen with my own eyes that people with the OP's question should be aware of is this:

Unlike other agencies, PADI does not recognize the classroom and pool instruction provided by other agencies.

I was diving in Hawaii 2 weeks ago. My dive op was a PADI shop. My first excursion was on a boat with just me, the DM, and a 12-year old boy who was there to do his OW certification (aka referral) dives. He had done the classroom and pool work at home and it was done as an SDI course. The dive op we were diving with said that PADI would not allow them to accept him for referral dives because his course work was done to another agency's standards.

I was inclined to believe them because they didn't just try to sell him a full PADI course. They appeared to work very hard to find an SDI instructor on the island who could come and dive with him to sign off on the OW referral dives. In the end, though, they couldn't and the kid had to re-do the written exam and I'm not sure what all else so that the shop could get him a PADI C card.

So, if you're planning to do your class and pool work with a non-PADI agency and then do the referral dive process to complete your training, you should work it out in advance that your destination dive op for the referral dives will be able to give you what you want.

Yet another reason to avoid PADI, in my book.

And did you let him dive or turn him away?

I'm a pretty new diver, but the one thing I have seen with my own eyes that people with the OP's question should be aware of is this:

Unlike other agencies, PADI does not recognize the classroom and pool instruction provided by other agencies.

I was diving in Hawaii 2 weeks ago. My dive op was a PADI shop. My first excursion was on a boat with just me, the DM, and a 12-year old boy who was there to do his OW certification (aka referral) dives. He had done the classroom and pool work at home and it was done as an SDI course. The dive op we were diving with said that PADI would not allow them to accept him for referral dives because his course work was done to another agency's standards.

I was inclined to believe them because they didn't just try to sell him a full PADI course. They appeared to work very hard to find an SDI instructor on the island who could come and dive with him to sign off on the OW referral dives. In the end, though, they couldn't and the kid had to re-do the written exam and I'm not sure what all else so that the shop could get him a PADI C card.

So, if you're planning to do your class and pool work with a non-PADI agency and then do the referral dive process to complete your training, you should work it out in advance that your destination dive op for the referral dives will be able to give you what you want.

Yet another reason to avoid PADI, in my book.

It seems for a newb your always ready to lend some misinformation!

No - PADI wants something specific in its dive instruction... it's called consistency. While every RSTC member follows the standards minimums set- every agency has their own standards and teaching systems- they also use different skill sets for defining "competency" at the Open Water level.

If you don't pool practice skills the way a particular agency teaches them - how can you be evaluated to those standards? Similarly if the instruction (book, class or elearning) doesn't teach you what the particular agency expects -how can you meet the goals?

SDI Open water is a great course- but it's not identical to PADI OW or NAUI OW.

The largest advantage PADI has is recognition- more dive shops, boats, resorts recognize its CCard - but today SDI/TDI, NAUI, SSI and outside the U.S. CMAS, BSAC, all have sufficient presence to be widely recognized.

Some others.... Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom