Urgent help with Uemis SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
l've been having issues with my SDA going on "phantom dives" after a plane ride and I thought I had it sorted out. See my earlier thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/444991-uemis-sda-dead-again.html

At any rate, I am in Jakarta leaving fro Raja Ampat tonight and my SDA is on a 7' dive. It stays on the dive until the rechargeable battery runs down, then shuts off. When I recharge it, it boots up and immediately re-starts at (0 time) a dive at 7' until it runs the battery down. I believe that the pressure sensor has become uncalibrated and sea level pressures trigger a dive. It worked fine last week in a pool in Boulder Co which is at 5000 ft elevation. This morning I took the SDA into the Jakarta hotel pool and at 5 ft deep, it read 12'.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thankfully I have a back up computer (no AI) and dive with a mechanical SPG but I am going to miss the AI of the SDA.

I cant remember if the SDA has a gauge mode or not, but if it does and if I could somehow interrupt the phantom dive, at least I could put it in that.

Thanks !

You may be right- though it would surprise me if the computer would normally go into a dive with just a few feet of pressure/depth in dry conditions. Particularly since it is altitude compensated and from Switzerland, up in the mountains. Determining the difference between atmospheric pressure changes and actually starting a dive is something all computers have to do. I don't know enough about the specifics of the UEMIS to say if wet contacts are always necessary for a dive or not, but for many computers shorting out water contacts is a necessary precondition for registering a dive. It would be interesting to see if the dive stopped with a slight vacuum- putting it in a plastic bag attached to the inlet of a vacuum cleaner, for instance. The old information I have here doesn't reference a gauge mode.

It does sound as if the absolute pressure sensing is off, though at least it is in the direction of being more conservative. The UEMIS is potted, I believe, it may be picking up extra pressure due to a flaw there. All in all, it sounds as if it's on it's way out.

Ron

Yes, thanks. I was unable to use it in Raja Ampat. I watched it on the two inter-Indonesia flights on the way to the boat and on both flights, the computer "surfaced" but initiated a new dive upon landing. When was in surface mode I tried to put it in gauge mode but it said "previous dive incompleat "
looks like another trip to Switzerland

Back
Top Bottom