US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't know if I missed something here, I read all the posts. Yes, Utila and Roatan are not near mainland Honduras, but doesn't everyone still have to fly THROUGH Honduras to get to Roatan and Utila? Personally if the State Department issues a warning I am going to think twice about completing my trip.
Nope. I have always flown there non-stop Houston to Roatan, one with Taca, once with SOL (no longer in business I don't think), and once with Continental connecting in Roatan to Utila. Some do connect on the mainland, but I have seen nothing suggesting problems at mainland airports other than TACA canceling a flight.

Well, I don't know if I missed something here, I read all the posts. Yes, Utila and Roatan are not near mainland Honduras, but doesn't everyone still have to fly THROUGH Honduras to get to Roatan and Utila? Personally if the State Department issues a warning I am going to think twice about completing my trip.

Yes, you are. Most people who go to Roatan fly directly there from US. Continental does several flights daily as does American, and probably some others. :D

Yes, you are. Most people who go to Roatan fly directly there from US. Continental does several flights daily as does American, and probably some others. :D

True enough....

Amercan, though, does only go to the Mainland, San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa

Direct flights to Roatan RTB Airport are provided by...

DELTA from Atlanta
CONTINENTAL from Houston
TACA provides seasonal flights from Houston and occasional other cities

I would avoid flights that connect through the mainland,
but my opinion on that has long pre-dated this political mess.

Less chance of lost luggage if you fly direct to paradise.

The domestic feeder airline, ISLENA, the one that you might likely take
as an Island Hopper from the mainland of Honduras to the Islands?

ISLENA has an un-paid TAX ISSUE that is keeping them on the ground until they pay-up.

Last edited:
One thing these kind of things (call it whatever you want...change in government at a moments notice) do remind us (US citizens that own or are thinking of owning abroad) of...is you're "not in Kansas anymore." Will want to keep an eye on what happens with property ownership by foreigners, with the new government…always a concern in “unstable countries.”

One thing these kind of things (call it whatever you want...change in government at a moments notice) do remind us (US citizens that own or are thinking of owning abroad) of...is you're "not in Kansas anymore." Will want to keep an eye on what happens with property ownership by foreigners, with the new government…always a concern in “unstable countries.”

I always looked at ownership like the commodities markets. I never owned anything out of country that I wasn't prepared and able to just walk away from and absorb the loss.

Come to think of it, Illinois is on that list for me now, too :D

I fly back to Costa Rica Roatan - El Salvador - San Jose.

I hope to not have any problems but i expect that everything will be fine,
due that here is everything calm and relaxed.

Cross fingers!

Chris Karrer

All - thanks for the clarification. I have not been to Roatan since the early 90s. I guess I would be in for a shock if I returned now. Back then we took a hopper from San Pedro Sula (could actually see through holes in the bottom of the plane), that made a less than subtle landing onto a very small landing strip. Customs/Immigration was a small white brick building.

All - thanks for the clarification. I have not been to Roatan since the early 90s. I guess I would be in for a shock if I returned now. Back then we took a hopper from San Pedro Sula (could actually see through holes in the bottom of the plane), that made a less than subtle landing onto a very small landing strip. Customs/Immigration was a small white brick building.
Yeah, there's been some developments. Utila had a paved airport and a bus stop shade with an agent who comes out on scooter to meet the plane last time I was there, but Roatan has a pretty large strip, terminal building that is usually air conditioned with many shops, cafe & snack bars, etc. Immigration & Customs were very casual, but air conditioned usually. Catering to the American much the way of the trend set by the Bank of Mexico from Cancun south.

NC-Doc et. AL.
In the month of June 2009 in Cd Juarez, Chih. Mexico 216 people were murdered *of which at least 4 were American citizens, one as young as 14 years old. 10 women were part of that number, and a total of 18 were younger than 18 years of age.
In the same month in Iraq, 15 american soldiers lost their lives and an additional 25 were killed in Afghanistan.
Which country would you rather go to? Mexico, Iraq or Afghanistan? I would still go to Cancun and oh while we are on the subject of Murders, How many people have been killed in this "coup"

Be aware of the situation, and go...no I am not in Roatan( but wish I was)

* Source El Diario de El Paso

We have been here for a week (leaving tomorrow). We were a little concern at the beginning, but honestly Roatan has not been affected, except for the curfew. Weather is great, diving is great. Thanks to coconut tree for making our vacation a wonderful experience.

Back
Top Bottom