US Tanks in AUSTRALIA ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two almost new steel 120s that have a US DOT stamp on them. We are moving to Australia in two months and I am trying to find out if I will be able to get them filled in Australia. Does anyone know the laws regarding this??? :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

I heard that dealdly Funnel Web spiders prefer to lay their eggs in American 120's. I heard about guy who breathed the eggs into his lungs where they were then incubated, and eventually hatched. Unfortunately for the guy, he was diving at the time that the colony of spiders burst out of his chest and a Great White shark smelled the blood and after brutally battering him, consumed him in several bites.

BoyntonBeachBum:
Hi,

I have two almost new steel 120s that have a US DOT stamp on them. We are moving to Australia in two months and I am trying to find out if I will be able to get them filled in Australia. Does anyone know the laws regarding this??? :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

I travel back and forth from the states and moved a bunch of diving gear to Australia about a year ago. The short answer is that it is hopeless. (And I have about 15X the number of tanks you do in the US so I was motivated to make this work. Particularly with my AL40s which aren't readily available in Australia at all.) The amount of effort to successfully import US DOT tanks simply isn't worth it. Even if you could show all of the detailed process specs from the manufacuturer and get this approved, the hassle and cost is too great. (Australian's like their rules.) To make the news worse, tanks are significantly more expensive in Australia than in the US.

RTodd:
(Australian's like their rules.)

we LOVE our rules.... and breaking them :wink:

there is a online dive store in west australia, you can buy steel tanks for about $300AUD ive been told - thats aboot $225USD

Scubakevdm:
I heard that dealdly Funnel Web spiders prefer to lay their eggs in American 120's. I heard about guy who breathed the eggs into his lungs where they were then incubated, and eventually hatched. Unfortunately for the guy, he was diving at the time that the colony of spiders burst out of his chest and a Great White shark smelled the blood and after brutally battering him, consumed him in several bites.
now that is just plain funny!

good post!

almitywife:

there is a online dive store in west australia, you can buy steel tanks for about $300AUD ive been told - thats aboot $225USD

WA is the best place for getting this kind of stuff. But if you want Luxfer (best al bouyancy characteristics) or Pressed Steel i.e. the "good" stuff, you pay a significant premium over US prices.

Scubakevdm:

:rofl3: :rofl3:

I am going to miss Boynton Beach. Full of funny guys.

almitywife:

Sounds like something I would be interested in looking into. Do you know the website?:confused:

RTodd:
I travel back and forth from the states and moved a bunch of diving gear to Australia about a year ago. The short answer is that it is hopeless. (And I have about 15X the number of tanks you do in the US so I was motivated to make this work. Particularly with my AL40s which aren't readily available in Australia at all.) The amount of effort to successfully import US DOT tanks simply isn't worth it. Even if you could show all of the detailed process specs from the manufacuturer and get this approved, the hassle and cost is too great. (Australian's like their rules.) To make the news worse, tanks are significantly more expensive in Australia than in the US.

Well that is kind of a bummer. :shakehead

The only upside is that steel 120s are easier to sell than gas during a hurricane. So i shouldn't have any trouble unloading them
Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom