Do you own a dive computer?

• Yes

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Uwatec AirZ Nitrox and an Uwatec Bottom Timer. I use my computer to plan my dives, and keep a running log of what my dive tables are in case something happens I have a backup.

My main computer is between my ears (Puggish answer, I know...), and for backup I use a Mares M1.

:crafty: Would never dive with out one... It gives me more Bottom Time.

Rich

Use the computer on every time, if it goes into deco, so be it, i just do the stops.

If its a particular deep dive with a lot of deco i'll plan it first on tables but tend to find computer and tables agree fairly well for square profile.

Ive never pushed the vyper past 15 mins mandatory deco (in non gauge mode) and even then i have spare tables in my pocket along with a watch in case it decided to go bang.

String:
Use the computer on every time, if it goes into deco, so be it, i just do the stops.

If its a particular deep dive with a lot of deco i'll plan it first on tables but tend to find computer and tables agree fairly well for square profile.

Ive never pushed the vyper past 15 mins mandatory deco (in non gauge mode) and even then i have spare tables in my pocket along with a watch in case it decided to go bang.

We use decompression software for a start and then mofidy and exstrapolate from there. What we do won't match any tables that I know of.

We don't limit ourselves to square profiles either.

I don't know about the real RGBM computers like the VR3 or explorer or whatever but I don't care to do any deco on any of the other computers and I wouldn't in any more of a hury to be bumping no stop limits on them either.

I dont limit to square profiles and im quite content to dive the computer for small amounts, the point im making but didnt word well was i carry the tables in my pocket which if the computer does die i can assume a worst case scenario (square profile) and use those to bail me out. Looking at the simulations for square profiles the computer and tables agree fairly well.

Very rarely do i have a proper square profile dive so usually my deco obligations are lower than that however if i need a get out of jail table they will assume square and get me out with a safety margin.

As for choice of algorthym and such, its mainly personal preference, there are so many out there that can be cut with so many different levels of conservatism (or not) set people tend to pick one they like and use it, there is no real standard as such. Decompression is still just a best guess.

FWIW the tables we're issued with and are supposed to use (or insurance isnt valid) are generally laughed at and outdated and people do have a point with that, i dont particulary like them however they are limited to small deco only, the maximum allowed for them is a maximum of 21 minutes in water stops so staying on the safer side as that really isnt a lot.

Example of the maximum time per depth you can plan on them:

21m for 77mins (20 mins of stops)

30m for 47mins (20 mins stops)

39m for 35 mins (20 mins stops)

51m for 26mins (21 mins stops) <<-- deepest dive they allow for planning.

Compare those to modern ones and there are drastic differences in some cases.

The fact remains that if i didnt use my computer id be using those tables which arguably are even less "safe" or modern.

If i ever start contemplating regular long decompression dives then id probably end up researching the newer ones out there and cutting my own, running computer in gauge mode, as it stands for small amounts of deco and recreational depths (not really below 40m) im quite content to drive the computer and have tables for backup having seen how they agree for squares.

Just bought a computer after 15 yrs of diving without one.
I have my first live-aboard coming up and thought it would be a good idea to have one.
Didnt really trust it at first, but Ive gotten used to it.
I still find myself doing a lot of table work and always use my timer also, cuz I just dont feel right not knowing my limits before the computer tells me.

MikeFerrara:
We don't limit ourselves to square profiles either.

It really depends on the type of diving.
Normally my multilevel dives are reef type & the average depth is not very deep.
There you tend to wander up & down sightseeing so the computer is really useful.

All my deep dives, practically without exception, have been on wrecks so the profile is effectively square & the computer generally matches the tables at the end of the dive. The few times it didn't I had deviated from the plan & the computer was correct in requiring extra deco.

String:

What tables are you using to get them to agree with a computer? - my computer broke before Xmas, I meant to do something about it, but it really hasn't affected my dives at all, so I'm not planning on bothering any more

miketsp:
It really depends on the type of diving.
Normally my multilevel dives are reef type & the average depth is not very deep.
There you tend to wander up & down sightseeing so the computer is really useful.

I don't use a computer for these kinds of dives either.
All my deep dives, practically without exception, have been on wrecks so the profile is effectively square & the computer generally matches the tables at the end of the dive. The few times it didn't I had deviated from the plan & the computer was correct in requiring extra deco.

Wreck dives can be a pretty square profile but our cave dives usually aren't and we still don't use a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom